_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Challenger 2 exhausts
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Armorama: 692 posts
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2006 - 12:12 AM UTC
Operationally how "sooty" do these tend to get?
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Monday, October 16, 2006 - 03:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Operationally how "sooty" do these tend to get?

Based on the photos ive seen on the web as well as the images in the Osprey, New Vanguard book on the Chally 2, they dont appear to be very sooty. The tip of the exhaust is the usual look of being covered in soot but the exhaust exterior certainly looks more weathered by the elements than by the engine soot itself.

barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 02:38 AM UTC

wont see much with the shields on -----normally they are yeugh!!!--

aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 05:07 AM UTC
actually the question is, are you referring to desertised challengers or non-desertised?
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 07:00 AM UTC

Quoted Text

actually the question is, are you referring to desertised challengers or non-desertised?

Desertized. I'm working on the Tamiay kit.
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 12:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah thats my current project too. Just bought some epoxy sculpt to form the canvas rolls that you see on the picture above. Its going to be my first time doing it.

Post your progress shots if you have them. Would love to compare notes.
bulivyf
Visit this Community
Praha, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 2,450 posts
Armorama: 2,409 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 - 08:17 PM UTC
Still some pics.

woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Ah thats my current project too. Just bought some epoxy sculpt to form the canvas rolls that you see on the picture above. Its going to be my first time doing it.

Post your progress shots if you have them. Would love to compare notes.

This is a first for me, posting images of my work...I'm mid-weathering with this one. I was going to try the Future decal surface prep technique but chickened out and went ahead and glosscoted the entire thing (hence it is shiny, there's a dullcote blast in the works when I'm nearly done). I don't have an airbrush, I rattle can spray (Tamiya Desert Sand), all weathering is done with pastels. Comparing this to the images of the actual tank in scene, mine is much more weathered. Oh well...I'm actually a little surprised at how pristine the Challys look in the above images.

Been sitting on the shelf in this state for quite some time:

Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 - 08:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Comparing this to the images of the actual tank in scene, mine is much more weathered. Oh well...I'm actually a little surprised at how pristine the Challys look in the above images.

Mike don't sweat it, I've seen some pics of C2's as weathered as yours and then some. I'm currently working on one of these as well and it's very interesting to see the differences between the various tanks. The particular C2 I'm basing mine on, the sides look practically pristine while there are large areas on the front upper hull and turret where the desert yellow paint is chipped off revealing the green underneath.

Best,
Mike
woodstock74
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 19, 2006 - 06:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Comparing this to the images of the actual tank in scene, mine is much more weathered. Oh well...I'm actually a little surprised at how pristine the Challys look in the above images.

Mike don't sweat it, I've seen some pics of C2's as weathered as yours and then some. I'm currently working on one of these as well and it's very interesting to see the differences between the various tanks. The particular C2 I'm basing mine on, the sides look practically pristine while there are large areas on the front upper hull and turret where the desert yellow paint is chipped off revealing the green underneath.

Best,
Mike

Hey Mike,

I don't think I'll worry to much about it as it is a small miracle that I've gotten it this far! Its supposed to be fun, right?
 _GOTOTOP