_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
FEATURE
Elefant Keeping
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 06:04 PM UTC
Bill Plunk AKA Wbill76 shows what to do with your pre-Premium Elefants. Thanks Bill!

Bill Plunk's 'Elefant Keeping'

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
biffa
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 881 posts
Armorama: 826 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 - 09:47 PM UTC
hi Vinny, Bill, i followed this when you built it bill it was cool to watch it come together and it turned out great, makes a very nice article too i'll probably be useing it when i build mine, well done and thanks for sharing.
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,299 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 12:49 AM UTC
Hey Bill:

Great build story. I got this beast in my stash with some Fruil tracks. Cant wait to build her now.

Thanks for sharing
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 26, 2006 - 05:57 AM UTC
Ron,

It most definitely qualifies as the project that sat the longest before I decided to finally tackle it and once I did, I had a blast with it but I am glad that I waited to be "in the mood" for it. I think this was kit # 2 or # 3 in terms of stash additions....you know, those days when you'd say "i've only got 3-4 waiting" in the stash type of thing. :-)

Brian,

Thanks for the comments! Elefants are herd animals, can't have too many of 'em running around!
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2006 - 10:22 PM UTC
Very nice Bill.
Good job on those decals, I have tried to apply decals over zimmerit in the past, but always ended up painting them. Nice Camo scheme as well.

Cheers
Henk
Dethpuck
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, October 27, 2006 - 11:21 PM UTC
Great build up Bill. I started building mine almost 7 months ago, with all of the same parts that you used, except for the brass MG and am using an Aber barrel. I have the Voyager PE fenders, which shoud be real fun to do with no hold and fold tool. I purchased the Premium edition and also the Verlinden interior, which I would highly recommend to anyone wanting one. I have both of the kits sitting on my bench right now screaming at me to finish them. Gotta love 60 to 70 hr work weeks.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 28, 2006 - 12:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice Bill.
Good job on those decals, I have tried to apply decals over zimmerit in the past, but always ended up painting them. Nice Camo scheme as well.

Cheers
Henk

Thanks Henk!

The kit decals, since this was an older kit from DML, were thicker than the ones usually supplied these days. To get them to lay down I used the Testor's DecalSol solution and a soft brush to gently push it into the folds. Took several careful passes to accomplish. I've heard of others using Archer transfers or stencils to overcome the zimmerit vs. decals problem but haven't ever done it myself.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 06:34 AM UTC
Nice article Bill,
Nice looking model.
Adolph
Visit this Community
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 171 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 12:08 PM UTC
Another excellent build writeup Bill,you have been quite prolific recently and with many good tips as well. Thanks for taking the time, which is extensive to write and illustrate these articles.
Just about convinced me to break my rule and buy a Dragon Elephant ( but I will have to get the upcoming Dicker Max anyway )
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 29, 2006 - 07:47 PM UTC
Thanks Dave, appreciate the comments.

Adolph,

Take the excuse of Christmas and get both! :-) The DM is something I know I'll be drooling over in anticipation until the release date comes.
As far as being prolific goes, I usually work on only one build/project at a time and carry it through to the end, only occasionally starting a 2nd one and extremely rarely getting 3 running at the same time. Vast majority of my build time is on the weekends where I have nice big chunks of time (no kids) to really focus in on if I wish to and that helps as well. This usually means I finish 1 build/project about every 4-5 weeks or so depending. The Elefant was an anomaly (for me at least), it actually took 2 months to complete from start to finish.
 _GOTOTOP