_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
DML MORSER KARL GERAT SPRUES
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 12:41 AM UTC
Well guys I think This is nice looking kit, But i took some photos for y'all to decide for yourselves here they are stug

Now for the decals and the metal bits!!!

According to DML this next peice is only in the first run on the Karl kits so hurry and get your kit quick!!!

Yes, that is a 600mm mortar round done nicely in turned alluminum. All in all I'm rather impressed with this kit, but then again i'm not a rivet counter, i'm looking forward to some fun building it !!! Hope this helps some of y'all in deciding to get this kit. stug
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 12:53 AM UTC
Thanks for the look Stug. Hey Hey And the report at m/l on this I can't wait to get mine.
Oink Onik
gunnerk19
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 354 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 12:54 AM UTC
Looks likea nice kit, stug... How much was it?
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 01:05 AM UTC
Gunner i paid 8000 yen for mine which is close to the retail of 70usd in the states, i recommend to hit one of the pre-order specials going on on the web... stug
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 01:20 AM UTC
It looks good unassembled...but, although I'm not a rivit counter either.....is it to scale and would it look proper in a 1:35 diorama? One of my pet peeves is out-of-scale vehicles where the figures...and what good is a vehicle without figures...are too large. I think that is what one review of this model said "a childrens toy...too small for scale". I'm looking forward to what the other companies are doing. I do want to get one and the Leopold,too! I'll have to display the Leopold in the Garage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jeff
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 01:40 AM UTC
Jeff i put the round next to fig i have done for my wespe, it's to scale!! the rest of the kit fits the round!! as far why it's good with out figs, is the crew and munitions carrier left the area and fired the mortar remotely from a safe distance! heres a link that covers the firing sequence of the karl. http://www.geocities.com/ssvong/morser/karl_main.htm/ so after you read that it should answer your question about why no figs are good!!! happy modeling stug
SniperSoldier
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,638 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 01:43 AM UTC
LOOKS IS VERY NICE KIT

ROBERTO
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 02:02 AM UTC
Steve-Stugster

Thanks for the pics of this big pig. I can hardly wait to see future pics as this one comes together and is finally completed.

I appreciate a post like this. I don't model German stuff, but its a great informative post about a neat subject, and the kit parts pics certainly give any modeler a flavor for what this kit entails (as far as construction).

The aluminum round is a nice touch.

From your post, it sounds like you're pleased, and that's the bottom line. Good luck on your build.

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 02:04 AM UTC
One Question did they do the Barrel rifling or not ,as pronounced as it is would be a big give away.
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 02:11 AM UTC
Jeff the last inch or so has rifling!!! i thought it was nice touch and got them away from todays standard of nasty smooth bore kits!!! i hope i'm getting evertones questions here, if not just give me a PM and i'll be more than happy to talk about it with any of you!!! stug
Tiger101
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 03:14 AM UTC
Great post thanks Stugiiif. Your pictures show much more detail than the ones on Track Links. Now to clear the workbench and get ready to build the monster.

Bodeen forget displaying the Leopold, I'm going to have to build a second workbench to build it LOL :-)
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 04:50 AM UTC
Plus : It's available
Caution: Gear up,can't easily be built with suspension in "travel" position.
Caution : Link and length track.I wouldn't be afraid of all Link to Link.
Question,Stug,were the top panels reasonably flat,or was there some warp? Not unexpected with a span that long.
I suppose the springs are like in the 1/72 hasegawa version,to let you'recoil' the unit.Why?
But thanks for the sprue pictures.I hope my LHS gets some in soon.
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 10:48 AM UTC
TC, the best thing about the beast Mine has no warp!!!! Dml thought fully put that large peice on the bottom of the box to support the upper hull peice!!!!! Give me a few hours and i'll post a pic of the inside of the barrel, there is some rifling there I plan to start the monster today!! Wish Me Luck!! I'll post threads in the reveiw board and be happy to tell any problems i come across!!! stug
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 10:51 AM UTC
Good Luck. In you photos it looks as if they only provided markings for ZIU. I hope that some aftermarket company makes more.
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 10:59 AM UTC
Tiger101 there are marking for one other the box art LOKI, sorry they printed in white so the did'nt show up!!!!! sorry, but yes we are limited in the choices of marking, kinda, most of the "SPG's" only had a nickname added to the side!!! stug
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 11:47 AM UTC
Good posting Stug. Im looking forward to getting this myself and will be watching your updates and views very carefully. As many fotos as possible and notes on anythig you see. It would make a nice article when your finished!
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 03:44 PM UTC
I don't know about an article as yet but definatly a couple of different threads to help others i can do!!!stug
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 12:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't know about an article as yet but definatly a couple of different threads to help others i can do!!!stug

Yes yes THis would be good.

One more question on the tracks do they resemble anything in the way of add-ons ?
Bodeen
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 06:31 AM UTC
:-) Stugiif........you've converted me! I told my wife that it's the next BIG purchase for me. Thanks for all your hard work! It's very much appreciated. I'll be about $80.00 poorer but it's worth it to build that big Son-of-a-gun. Jeff
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 02:50 PM UTC
Well guys, I'm glad this SAILOR could help my fellow armormaniacs!!!!! The closest tracks I've seen in AM stuff is the churchill stuff from Fruilmodel, but alas they are to small!!! the nice thing is that there are enough Indy's to do the whole thing with indy tracks!!!! stug
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 02:54 PM UTC
You didn't like the link and length tracks? How goes the project so far?
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 03:12 PM UTC
well tiger, here in a few i'll start to post the construction in the Rivet Reveiw board so look there are a few glitches so far but only with the instructions; everything else is beautiful, so look there for construction updates!! stug
stugiiif
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 16, 2003 - 07:25 PM UTC
Well guys i'm sorry to say I was wrong in my count of Indy links, the lengths of links are most definently need i'm in the process of building and measuring out the tracks almost done with one side!!!! why do i feel a head ache coming!!!!! of yeah link and length track!!!! stug
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, February 17, 2003 - 12:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well guys, I'm glad this SAILOR could help my fellow armormaniacs!!!!! The closest tracks I've seen in AM stuff is the churchill stuff from Fruilmodel, but alas they are to small!!! the nice thing is that there are enough Indy's to do the whole thing with indy tracks!!!! stug

Thank you on that . Now all we need is for Eduard or Aber to do the PE which I am sure they will and of cause the resin that will follow. Now on to carriage for this from Trumpter or is it Tristar
Barkmann
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 16 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 11:24 AM UTC
Here is some pics of the kit built by a Japanese modeller....

I read some reviews here and there, sounds that DML made a simply replica of the Karl, will wait to see what Tristar's will do. In my case, The price will be the most important price. I'm not willing to pay 200$ for Karl, so DML should be a great choice for me.

Cheers!
 _GOTOTOP