_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
What happened to British Shermans after WW2?
rfeehan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 727 posts
Armorama: 648 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 10:41 PM UTC
I know Universal Carriers were sold to Canadian farmers after the war. When I was a teenager I used to cut wood every winter with my dad and many of the farmers who worked on or owned the wood lots still had them sitting around. We even found the remains of what I think was one during one weekends work deep in the middle of one woods. It is probably still out there somewhere.

INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 577 posts
Armorama: 446 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 11:33 PM UTC
Careful there Goose, we Shermanholics may tke offence!! Just remember Shermans fought in Korea, 48,67,73 Middle East wars, 65 & 71 Indo-Pakistan wars, used by Chile (60MM Hyper velocity gun) hand in hand with their Leopards 1V until a copule of years ago and the Argentine ones rearmed with French 105s as well as ex-Israeli M51s.
And they battled some of the newer tanks from the East and the West (T54/55, T62, Centurions, M47, M48). Sometimes it is not just the kit but how well the user employs the kit.
goose
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 185 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 23, 2006 - 11:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Careful there Goose, we Shermanholics may tke offence!! Just remember Shermans fought in Korea, 48,67,73 Middle East wars, 65 & 71 Indo-Pakistan wars, used by Chile (60MM Hyper velocity gun) hand in hand with their Leopards 1V until a copule of years ago and the Argentine ones rearmed with French 105s as well as ex-Israeli M51s.
And they battled some of the newer tanks from the East and the West (T54/55, T62, Centurions, M47, M48). Sometimes it is not just the kit but how well the user employs the kit.

lol - no offence meant! eekk - and this close to Christmas is doesnt pay for a Goose to get into trouble!
(I quite like the sherman, though I not quite a shermanholic)

They may well have still been used until fairly recent times, but that doesnt alter the fact that their design was quite dated - high profile, prone to fire etc. Though I do agree that the skill of the crew will go a way to make up for the deficiencies of the equipment.

But as an answer to the question what happened to them - then yes as you say they were still in use for quite some time. As were many other WW2 AFV - the good old Greyhound is a prime example.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, November 24, 2006 - 01:30 AM UTC
There were 50 odd thousand Shermans made. All of the post war use by everyone doesn't come even close to that number. Even to half of that number.

The bulk, i'm pretty sure, went into the scrap mills to become the previously displayed paperclips, as well as Austins, Audis & Ramblers.

Paul
 _GOTOTOP