Hosted by Darren Baker
rubble?
Rhemz
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 02:21 AM UTC
What is the best way to make rubble for in a blown down city?? i already have bricks... and i use cat litter... but when i look at other dio's there is a lot of wood... how do i create that kind of look?? and is it easy to make you own furniture... like a piano??? please help me with these problems!!
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 02:31 AM UTC
Rhemz

What I usually do to create Rubble is: I first make any leveling with Styrofoam. Glue that onto the base. Then cover everything with Wallspackle (available at any DIY store it comes in a tube and is very cheap) While the wallspackle is still wet and soft I push in a big amount of bricks. Not everywhere... I allow the wallspackle to come through the bricks here and there. Another thing I do, when the spackle is still wet and soft, is sprinkle sand on top of the spackle between the bricks to give the whole thing a gritty appearance.
At this stage you can also stick planks or other debris through the layer of spackle into the foam underneath. Let that dry for 24 hours.
After it`s dry you can paint it and add more debris like planks, other wood, Telephone poles, more bricks, Piano`s :-) :-) And go on in this stage you can glue everything down with white pva Glue
And for scratchbuilding furniture goes... That depends on your own creativity and imagination but with a little plasticcard an Xacto blade, glue and paint, And maybe a dremel you can make miracles come through

Just my two cents Hope it is of any help

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 03:47 AM UTC
Rhemz
Faust's methods are very good and produce quality results. Take a look at his feature and at his diorama in the gallery. Great step by step information.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/142

As far as building furniture, it's not that hard. It's made a bit easier if you are going to bury it or cover it - you don't have to be as exact. I would start with paper stock (business card paper). In Cold Stare I used paper for the shelves and the picture frames.

Paper is easy to use, cheap to use, and most of all easy to bend into complex angles (piano). And it fits any scale. To make the shelves I just sketched out plans of what I wanted and cut it out, used a bit of white glue. Then painted with hobby paints.
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2003 - 03:56 AM UTC
Visit Keith Forsyths website and read his step to step dio building lessons, maybe they can help you a bi?

DOCDIO - Rubble
Howitzer
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 04:52 PM UTC
I like to use Balsa Wood.
 _GOTOTOP