_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
My stuart tank!
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 05:44 AM UTC
A few months ago I got the old Tamiya kit of the Stuart tank (just before the release of the new one ) but for $ 10 USD I could not resist.

Man, oh man, this kit has become my personal nightmare, there are some pieces missing from the box (in fact they are there but only as a blob of plastic, something must have gone seriously wrong in the plant

Second, it has the worst fit I ever have seen in a kit, pieces that don't really fit, warping on the hull etc...

So I decided to use it as a practice piece since I am still a novice at weathering and I never chipped before

Somehow it got way back in the closet and I forgot about it, normally I would go back to the club and ask for advise, but, for the moment, that is not possible

So here it is, I know I know, I overdone the chipping on the turret, but hey it is my first time on that chipping thing and you do get carried away at it

Any suggestions to finish it of? tracks, mud?? It is not intended to be on display jut for trying some stuff out.

Stuart Tank
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 05:51 AM UTC
If the model is such a disaster and some of parts are really unrecognizable, try to return it to Tamiya USA. Once it happened to me something similar; i returned the kit to the italian distributor and he gave me back a new box without wanting the faulty one back.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 06:15 AM UTC
Ronny, here's something to try - Rain. Try weathering it as if its been in the rain. Kinda mixes water element and weather element. You can experiment with gloss paint/washes, mud, resin maybe, insta water....
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 12:09 PM UTC
Hey Ronny. I think you are becoming too much of a perfectionist. Its not all that bad. I think you made quite a good job out of the kit. I believe you also have the right attitude towards modelling. When a kit is a little lacking in some departments ........ experiment with it and improve your skills. Remember there is also another method to improve a kit ....... diguise the details you dont want to show ......... some camoflage branches here, an air recognisition flag there, a figure placed somewhere else ..... know what i mean? Its a pity you didnt use the decals this could have been a display model!
Dmd
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 430 posts
Armorama: 210 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 09:21 PM UTC
hoi ronny

zo'n slordige 10 jaar geleden heb'k dit doosje ook gekocht, en ik prijs mezelf gelukkig dat'k in die tijd nog lappen voor mijn ogen had inzake modelbouw. eigenlijk vind ik'r ook niet veel aan. zelfs het figuurtje had'k geen handen aan.

nu heb ik deze tank gebruik in een nieuw dio, namelijk een stuart tank die vuur vat. volgens mij DE beste oplossing voor dit. :-) (en het is dan nog geslaagd ook)

misschien kan je dit een beetje opsmukken met wat extra's, maar ik zou't toch een bestemming geven als achtergrond

vriendelijke groeten

steffen
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 09:29 PM UTC
Ronny

voor een tankje waar van alles mis aan is zoals je in deze thread al heb gezegd moet ik zeggen dat dat helemaal geen slecht resultaat wat je daar laat zien.
Ik vind de toren er goed uitzien. hoe heb jij je afgebladderde verf gedaan??? als ik zo vrij mag zijn dat te vragen. Gewoon nieuwsgierig naar jou techniek.
Leuk voertuigje man.
GA je hem nog in een dio zetten??

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 11:38 PM UTC
Would suggest you remove those track nubs that show up in front and back. And maybe use an old faded black for the tracks as they are rubber in middle and steel at the side own 3 or 4 of these kits and I never had a problem with them you must have gotten one that was left by a heat register or something along those lines.
straight up and honest!!

Also here is an article on this tank http://www.kithobbyist.com/AFVInteriors/m3stu/m3stu1.html

Plus back a few issues ago in AFV Modeler they had an article on this tank don't remember if it was M3 or M5 but both pretty close
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 10:24 AM UTC
Tnx fellows for the responses

Soccia, that is for next time :-) It is finished so I don't think thay will except it now

Plasticbattle tnx for the kind words, I think you are right I am a bit of a perfectionist, that is also one of the reasons that i don't finisch a lot of my projects, but I am learning to ease up a bit. About the decals. .... to be honost I simply forgot them

Scot, there are rainmarks on the model, very subtle, they did not stand out in the pictures but when you look at it in real then you see them.

Robert, look at your PM

Jef, yeah I still need to finisch the tracks,
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 - 01:11 AM UTC
Overall it is not bad Ronny,but one more don't forget the headlight thing. I guess those are the Tamiya tracks ? If you really want to improve the kit could get a set of AFV club tracks. Or get the Aca. Kit. Overall darn good for a guy that has not built in 10 years
have a another beer on me
 _GOTOTOP