_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Jagd-Tiger Kit No. 6051
jet
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 306 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 06:51 PM UTC
What are the pitfalls of this Porshe ProductionType Jagd-Tiger Kit from Dragon. I want to make it fairly accurate. What would be the tweak list on this and what are some good after-market sets out there. Thanks.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 08:27 PM UTC
Jet,

I haven't done the Porsche Tiger, but I had done the Henschel one, It's very good build, and fit really well. SO far I see, it's very accurate . I used Aber PE for the Henschel tiger, but since the upper hull is the same, so you can also using the Aber one for the Porsche tiger.

The only thing you might want to take note is that the Judio barrel I got for the Jagdtiger, because it's so long, it makes the gun nose heavy, so you might want to glue the elevating mechanism for the gun at a desired angle.

http://www.track-link.net/gallery/1437

Here is a link to my Jagdtiger.

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 12:12 AM UTC
Good job Dave on that bad boy http://www.track-link.net/gallery/1437
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 01:43 AM UTC
SS-74....That is a very cool model my friend! I love the big machines. One question...Why didn't Dragon include side skirts for the Henschel model? I think they all had them in some degree. Just curious. I have the Henshel version...but it doesn't look half as good as yours. Did you use after market tracks for yours? I might have to tear the tracks off mine and buy some metal ones. Later....Jeff
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 03:52 AM UTC
Jeff,

Thanks for your kind words, the tracks I am using is the DML kit tracks, I think they are pretty decent. Most of the pictures I saw for the Henshcel Jagdtiger doesn't have the side skirt, don't know why. But it seems that the Porsche one always did. SO I got the aber side skirts, and will be using on the Porsche Jagdtiger....

P.S. Field Marshall, thanks for post the link for me....

tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 02:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What are the pitfalls of this Porshe ProductionType Jagd-Tiger Kit from Dragon. I want to make it fairly accurate. What would be the tweak list on this and what are some good after-market sets out there. Thanks.

I'd say that the number one thing to watch out for is that EVERY Porsche Jagdtiger (except possibly the first prototype) had zimmerit applied. This is a very important consideration in build a kit with all the "tweaks".

There are some other cool things to consider - The kit tracks are 90% accurate... one thing that was done in the field is that the inner track guide tooth was cut off with a torch... this was done so that the tracks would not foul the suspension. Many of the Porsche machines did not carry the fenders

A final tip - the Barrel supplied in the kit may actually be a bit short. This could come from measuring from a drawing or possible from measuring one of the museum survivors.

Later,
Tim

jet
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 306 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Monday, February 24, 2003 - 05:58 PM UTC
Thanks for taking the time to reply
 _GOTOTOP