_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
POLL
New Poll - How we doing?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 03:34 AM UTC
With the new year started I would like to get some feedback from members via this poll about how they feel about the site. So please take a moment to vote and comment if needed.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 03:47 AM UTC
Well since I'm a member too, I think we're doing ok considering the trauma of the site break up last year! There's still a lot of work to do before we get it 100% right............but we're on the way!
And Good luck to the other sites in the Network too!

Vinnie
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 03:49 AM UTC
Well I still come here and post regularly so I think that things are progressing nicely. I guess that things will keep evolving as time passes onwards.

John
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
Armorama: 357 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 04:14 AM UTC
I'm not as regular over here - spend more time doing wingy stuff on aeroscale, but love the network as a whole.

Keep up the good work

Andy
HARV
Visit this Community
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 3,098 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 06:09 AM UTC
As I have stated many times before......................I love this site!!

I enjoy visiting the forums and helping people out. I enjoy being able to view other members work (a little panzer envy at times!!). I like the reviews that are offered. And best of all I have met some good modeling buddies here that I wouldn't have met if not for this site. I feel that all of the changes have been for the best.

I definitely plan on being a lifer here. Keep up the good work.

HARV
jazza
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2,709 posts
Armorama: 1,818 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 11:53 AM UTC
Certainly have a positive outlook on the site but would love to see certain improvements such as the one mentioned by Vinnie that there will be a User Reviews section where all unsolicited reviews will end up.

Would also like to see some confirmation on what the campaign policies are for the new year. I think Jim Lewis was still getting this firmed up.
AlanL
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 12:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well since I'm a member too, I think we're doing ok considering the trauma of the site break up last year! There's still a lot of work to do before we get it 100% right............but we're on the way!
And Good luck to the other sites in the Network too!

Vinnie

As a member I think we are a long way from full recovery since the tramuma last year. The loss of so many good modellers means that for me the value of the site has been greatly reduced, probably to about 60% of what it was.

There are still many excellent modellers who post and contribute to the site but I miss the breadth of feedback and knowledge that was available whenI I first joined. Partly that's possibly also due to the separation into 4 specific areas.

I now spend my time about 50/50 between here and Scale Model World, I still get lots of help and advice here and particularly on Shipwrights and when looking for info on British Tanks.

I'd like to see more individual reviews on a wider range of manufacturers kits, I felt some recent reviews I've read while technicaly competent lacked any real interest in the subject. I tend to lean towards PMMS for reviews anyway.

The News Items are a good source of information, which help to keep us all up to date and there is still a reasonable amount of banter around to keep one laughing, some excellent features and articles being produced.

I don't know the post counts and whether they are higher or lower so I can't say whether things are blooming in the garden. There seems to be a reasonable amount of activity going on so I assume things are going reasonably well.

Perhaps I'm just becoming more of a visitor than a participant. For me, the sites still an important source of information and help but not as important as it once was.

My thoughts anyway.

Al
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 12:44 AM UTC
I'm not sure 'Trauma' is a little strong as a description of the seperation into different satellite sites. Prior to the change, the site was looking a bit like an over-large and pretty messy department store. Something had to be done to organize it.

I also think that people should remember that all the component parts are only a click away. I feel that too many people put too much emphasis on the forums. While a large part of the site, they are like a central meeting point of a medium-sized city - the town square if you like. There isn't as much wandering off into the side streets of the site as there could be - Reviews, Features and News are there to be used.

Use, participate but also go slightly beyond the forums?
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 01:27 AM UTC
I think 2 different events are being recounted here. One has little to do with the other. 60% Alan? I think that is a bit high. There are over a thousand active users on Armorama alone (not counting the other sites) and though I am not happy at the level of growth we have seen in the past year, I don't see any significant decrease in site use from this year to last. What you and some others probably see is that familiar faces are not around as they use to be. Or are on other sites. This actually happens no matter what on every site on the Internet. It's human nature I am afraid. If you are a user of YouTube for example the current scenario is that people are leaving to join Live Video. AOL users left communities to join Yahoo, then MSN, then Google. No, to some degree there will always be the mantra "where did my buddies go". Sad but true.

Ken? Werner? Jan? Ronny? Danny? Paulo? Bryan?... where did you go dudes?

Cheers,
Jim
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 01:30 AM UTC
Er............well I know where Bryan went, if we're thinking of the same one! :-)

Vinnie
RichardM
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 383 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 02:15 AM UTC
Being a noob here (only 5 months since I registered) I must say I really like this place.

At first I found the overall layout kinda overcrowded and hard to navigate but after a few days everything falled in place.

I can't compare the new and old website so the only think I can add is keep up the good work
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 02:47 AM UTC
Hi Jim,

When I first joined the site one of the key things that drew me to sign up was the wealth of knowledge and ability across a whole range of things that interested me.

I saw Armorama as it was then as a "One Stop Shop" that in fact would meet all my needs as a modeller.

Things happen and change As a member (and being purely selfish) I use the site to help imporve both my knowledge and skill, some of that knowledge is no longer here so it's quite natural to go where the knowledge is.

In return for the knowledge/help I get here, I still post fairly freuqently, add help and information where I can for other members and have a lot of respect and time for many of the users. It's quite true that only a small percentage of listed users will be active, some more than others and that's the same for any organisation like this. People will come and go as their lives and interests change.

For direct input/contact, I use Shipwrights and Armorama and rarely visit the other two sites and I use Scale Model World for the other 40% or 50% of what I'm interested in, because that's where I can get the knowledge and help I need in those other areas I want to model.

Like everyone I visit PMMS, Mising-Lynx and a few other sites for alternative views/news and information so there I'm one of the many 1000s who visit and don't participate.

I'm not knocking the hard work you guys put in, nor the quality of the articles, features or the network etc, but with the various changes that have taken place that's simply how it is for me.

It may be the same for others it may not. You post would suggest that things are at a fairly steady stage and that there has not been as much growth as you would like.

You asked for comments so I can only give you an honest answer that at the end of the day is only my personal thinking based on the amount of time I now actually use the facility and on how it meets my needs as an individual modeller.

Al
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 06:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Er............well I know where Bryan went, if we're thinking of the same one! :-)

Vinnie

Actually I was speaking of Bryan Dewberry.

Jim
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 06:43 AM UTC
Al,
You are not going to score any points with me bringing up SMW, a site started by a vocally abusive and banned member of this community with the specific intent to compete with this site and network. If you like SMW so much and are happy there so be it. Your input in this discussion will be weighed based on your obvious bias towards that site, it's core 20-30 modelers, and your buddies there. That is your choice. Just as it's your prerogative to continue to use this site if you want to.

Thanks,
Jim

And for the record it's still a 'one stop shop', just login via www.kitmaker.net.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 09:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Al,
You are not going to score any points with me bringing up SMW, a site started by a vocally abusive and banned member of this community with the specific intent to compete with this site and network. If you like SMW so much and are happy there so be it. Your input in this discussion will be weighed based on your obvious bias towards that site, it's core 20-30 modelers, and your buddies there. That is your choice. Just as it's your prerogative to continue to use this site if you want to.

Thanks,
Jim

And for the record it's still a 'one stop shop', just login via www.kitmaker.net.

Hi Jim,

I'm not interested in scoring points with anybody and never have been. You asked for comment and I've responded in an open and honest way. Sorry if you don't appreciate that, how you wish to view my input is entirely up to you. Any issues you have with SMW are between you and them and don't have anything to do with me and never have had.

I have no bias one way or the other, I simply use the sites where I feel I can get best advice and help on the particular projects I working on and that is all there is too it..

There are about 200 members on SMW, many of whom post here and there and some who don't for historical reasons, but may have been former members here. Just as there are a lot of tallented and knowledgable modellers here, there are also many tallented and knowledgeable modellers there, and I value the help I can get from both sites as both have something positive to offer a beginner like me and it's that simple.

A lot of tallnented people don't post here anymore and I simply pointed out that I miss that breadth of knowledge which I don't believe has been replace yet by new members and I think that is fair comment.

My comments have nothing to do with bias or my 'buddies' as you call them. I am fortunate to have met and made friends with a large variety of exceptionally skilled people from around the world, many of whom post both here and on lots of other sites as well.

Al

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 06:00 PM UTC
Fuhgeddabout it !
I don't know if I visit the site more or less than I used to. The whole DSB thing had no effect on me- I was never a member (Didn't really get it). Forums change, people leave. A lot iof good people left ML when registration was made a requirement, the site goes on and other people took their place.
I know I visit Modelgeek and Historicus Forma less than I used to. I had HF bookmarked and would visit it after Armorama but got fed up wading through the same posts on the latest post page. So the http://armorama.kitmaker.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=latest&selorder=site
is great for me and my participation in those forums will increase.

I regard myself as a serious modeller, I don't mean a rivet counter, I mean I visit Armorama as a modeller , not as for the forums, I help out when I can, I checkout the reviews and news and I vote in the competitions. My participation in campaigns is dreadful I typically sign up and then relax until the campaign is nearly over, then furiously try to complete an entry and then don't submit I know I haven't explored the whole site fully but there are only so many hours in the day and I do like to do some real modelling as opposed to the virtual kind. Actually if we did a bit more real modelling we'd have a lot more to contribute . The moderators here do a great job but are more visible than on other sites, I don't know if that's a good or bad thing. There aren't as many "experten" here, ready to pounce on mistakes which is good and there are some real experts who help out a fellow modeller as much as possible which is great and the general tone of exchanges is very helpful and patient. There are some members that I suspect post things just to be provocative but the simple answer to that is don't respond, in fact that's the rule I go by here; if I think someone is taking the mickey or if I'm not sure how to respond or if I have nothing to add then Then I don't reply.
I've been a member for a little over two years and plan on sticking around.
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Friday, January 12, 2007 - 06:56 PM UTC
Hi Jim,

The site looks good. What seemed like a tsunami of changes early in 2006, eventually trickled down into it's current, very usable state. The changes have allowed the site to flourish. As far as the all too public internal spat, we need to get over it and focus on the future.

My only peeve with the site is my constant need to remove photos on my gallery to upload new ones. It seems like 2 to 3 photos must be deleted to allow the uploading of one new equally sized photo. In hindsight, I should of made the initial investment to the larger A-guard membership when I had the opportunity.

sincerely,
Frank
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 12:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

' Unfortunately ' for Alan he's a straight forward honest guy and has answered your question with complete truth and has given you exactly what you claimed to want to hear. Like the guy who asks for critiques on his model and then gets defensive when hes not showered with a bunch of ' attaboyz '

Alan is not pro SMW anti Big A . . . there has been many little jokes on that site he could've jumped in on and has never said a thing, but he has been a strong Big A supporter all along, never bashing you or any of your staff or this site, yet you treat him as a criminal.

You guys just don't get it.

It's all in how you treat people . . . and this isn't a good example.

Ken,
I have not attacked Alan. If you or he thinks I have you should put on a bit thicker skins. I asked a question about how this site was doing and his response amounted to cheer-leading for another site (to a large degree). I only responded that I am no fan of that site nor the foundations on which it's based (vitriol against this site). I was honestly expressing my state of mind that he can make those comments but that they will carry no weight with me since I see that there is an obvious bias to them.

For the record. I don't really give SMW much thought. Only in the sense that I think it was a shame that a few people started gossiping to other members about all the negative things they could drum up on this site just to move people over to a site they felt more appreciated on. It's hard to really appreciate everyone when the group is as large as it is here. So maybe for the few of you involved in this discussion who spend a majority of their time over there it's better for you at SMW.

Regards,
Jim
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 01:23 AM UTC
Hi Kenneth,

You can lead a horse to water mate but you can't make it drink.

If Jim thinks I'm waving a flag for SMW then there's little that is likely to change his mind.

Water off a ducks back Kenneth, I'm not going to waste my time on something so pointless and rude. 'Bias ' interesting word don't you think.

Happy modelling

Al

slynch1701
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 340 posts
Armorama: 290 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 01:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The site looks good. What seemed like a tsunami of changes early in 2006, eventually trickled down into it's current, very usable state. The changes have allowed the site to flourish. As far as the all too public internal spat, we need to get over it and focus on the future.

My only peeve with the site is my constant need to remove photos on my gallery to upload new ones. It seems like 2 to 3 photos must be deleted to allow the uploading of one new equally sized photo. In hindsight, I should of made the initial investment to the larger A-guard membership when I had the opportunity.

I think Frank hit the main points that I feel similarly about quite well. I like the overall changes. My only complaint is maybe cycle through the Models on Display a bit quicker, just to keep that aspect of the site fresher. I for one enjoy looking at other members builds, so it is always a treat to see a new one displayed every couple of days. Of course I realize this is also limited to the amount of items submitted by members.

Also, as Frank mentioned I too wish I had joined A-gaurd. I know I have asked this in a post I created awhile back, but are we going to be able to join this again. I believe Jim had replied he was going to rework this and make it available. I would be very interested in knowing the status on that.

Sean
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:09 PM UTC
Jim, my man,

I am still present, more as a lurker but I am here

And I said it before and say it again, good job
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 15, 2007 - 12:45 AM UTC
Hey Ronny,
Good to see you even if lurking.

Thanks for the good job.

Cheers,
Jim
Selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 20, 2007 - 11:55 PM UTC
Well, as we are all being honest here....

I sometimes have to take breaks from the hobby both on-line and off-line due to health concerns and so I missed many of the changes and problems that occured here during my last hiatus.

Upon my return it was bittersweet.

Mind you, I loved the big "A". It was a great place full of information and equally full of comraderie. Being on Armorama was much like hanging with your mates at somplace that was like a cross between your local hobby store and the Library of Alexandera.

I Like the idea of the network with many satalite sites specializing in their own genre, each just a click away. Very nifty and handy.

On the other hand, what struck me most when I first came back was the sheer number of adverts. There are adverts everywhere, even between posts in the forums. So many that the pages look busy with them. So many thet the first impression is that the ads compete with content for space. I understand the need for site funding, but the sheer number of ads and the amount of space they take on each page is astonishing and distracting.

Also many old faces are missing. Many old comrades in plastic who were great assets to the community have gone their own way. Looks like they may be gone, but not forgotten.

But Armorama is still here Somewhere wedged inbetween all the ads.

Jus my .02 cents, adjusted for the weakness for the dollar overseas.

Peace.
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 21, 2007 - 06:35 AM UTC
I gave it a "Neutral".

There are a few good things, the Armorama subject matter content, and the apparent success of Aeroscale ...

But, ...
The community (& I do NOT refer to DSB) is pretty much gone ...
The maintenance/admin of the site; some examples ...
-- Armorama Campaign Groups have been out of sync for over a year (maybe Jeremy will have the power to fix them).
-- Aeroscale is trying to get campaigns going, but the forum doesn't work ... (way to support the guys trying hard to make it a success) ...
-- A-Guard, replacement coming any old day, for months now ...
-- Spelling errors (ie, wait and you will be trasport ...)

I'm still here but I don't have near the fun I used to ... and I am still somewhat turned off by all the ads -- other sites I frequent have a lot more space given over to modeling ...

IMHO,
John
 _GOTOTOP