_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Washes on figures
Harrison
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 5 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 08:35 AM UTC
Hi my name is Harry. This is one of only a few times coming to this site and I have to say I quite like this website. Great quality - keep it up. This is my first post so here it goes. I am not a big figure painter but I am doing a 1/35 scale diorama with about 18 figures give or take. I wanted to know how to do shadowing and washes on figures. Also any techniques to do the eyes well would be great.
Thanks. Harry
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2007 - 10:53 AM UTC
Hi Harrison,
Firstly,welcome to the site!!If you go over to Historicus Forma you will find pretty much everything you need to get yourself started.Gino Poppe is doing an SBS if figure painting which is very useful.But,if you can't find what you're after..ask the guys there in the painting forum.They'll be more than happy to help you out!
Cheers,Shay
PanzerEd
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 402 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 25, 2007 - 07:42 PM UTC

This guy is the first figure Ive painted in about 5 years and he seems to have come out alive and kicking. I'm not going to be putting too much detail into the face where eyes are concerned because when you look at photos of troops in the field or anyone for that matter, you can't see the whites of their eyes anyway. Just dark slits where the eyes are.

Plus if I start to do other things to figures that I had previously deemed complete then I end up doing too much and spoiling the original effect.

bakedearth
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 97 posts
Armorama: 83 posts
Posted: Friday, January 26, 2007 - 12:05 AM UTC
hey harry

I am a relitivley new modeler myself. But I do have a good teqnuique for you try on the eyes. you should take a kabob sticks or toothpick or something break it in half until you get a nice piont that is super fine. use that as a paintbrush. so take some white paint tint it with a little flesh tone and thin it about 20 percent. then dip your tiny paintbrush into it (making sure you dont have too much paint) and paint the eye making sure not to get any white on anything but the eye alone. then take some dark grey ( not black ) make sure grey paint is not thinned! use you tiny brush to put a tiny dot for a pupil. you can also take some brown and thin it like 90 mabye 80 percent to make a flesh wash use that sparingly ( takes practice ) to get the shading in the face. along all the creaseing in the face. then take you flesh tone and dry brush your face lightly to highlight the high spots and contrast your shaded spots.

hope that helps Trev

p.s. fellow modelers please add to my post if it is false or if there is a better way because I would love to know as well !! thanx
merty
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 11 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 - 05:04 AM UTC
hello Harry

following site has everything you need to know on figurepainting:

www.planetfigure.com

have fun!
 _GOTOTOP