_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M4A1 SHerman II Fittings Question?
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 05:01 PM UTC
Greetings all,

I was looking at the Op Swallow book on British Shermans at Alamein and of the external conversions listed it mentions the addition of a helmet rack.

Would this by any chance be part A26 in the Dragon 6048 kit which I have never really been able to identify?

In the book illustrations there is clearly a bar on the top rear RHS , too big to be the matlock. The Dragon part is a slightly different shape, it's not listed for fitting to the kit but would appear to be a possibility for the helmet rack if in fact that's where it went.

Cheers

Al
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 05:32 PM UTC
Gday Al
Part A26 is the (poor excuse for a) crowbar... Why it isn't to be fitted is beyond me! Maybe the very early M4a1s didn't have one? I find this hard to believe...Whilst I have your undivided attention though, what was part MA 3 used for?
Cheers
Brad
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 06:59 PM UTC
Hi Brad,

That's what I though it was meant to be but part A20 looks much more crow bar like to me!!!

I have seen this part reworked with one of the ends cut off and a new handle added.

Doesn't answer my question about the helmet rack though!!

Part MA 3 the small PE bit would bend into an Y shaped ariel I would suspect. I have to look up my radio site but I think they had No 19 radios by the time the Shermans arrived.

The early ones carried a Jerry Can on the rear LHS and spare track links on the rear RHS (supposed to be 6)

My Mid prodoction version had no brackets or rails along the side at least on the version I'm using as a guide. but I might fit them anyway.

Another topic:

DId you see the M4A1 with the loaders hatch confirmed by Randell :-) :-) :-)

Would the Italeri M4 turret be suitable? Is it low bustle as I have one from the Marines M4 I got for the deep wading gear.

I'm doing an early version with the DV hull from formations and earlty suspension, but it hasn't arrived yet. A mid production one I'm working on now and a late NWE one that I was going to use the Marines M4 with L/hatch turret on, if it's low bustle.

Do you happpen to know which kit has the pointed transnmission?

Cheers

Al
m4sherman
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,808 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:02 PM UTC
Ah, the joys of Sherman kit bashing. I had a look through the Hunnicutt book for loaders hatch turrets on the low bustle turret, and found only one. Not enough people took pictures of the turret tops.

Does the turret you want to use have a steep sloped rear upper or is it more flat. Low bustle is sloped while high bustle is more flat. I say just use what you have.

The DML M4A2's have the sharp nose in the kits, as does the Tamiya M4. I had a look at the parts you mentioned and I have no idea either.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 13, 2007 - 11:14 PM UTC
Hi Randy,

Thanks for that, turret has a steep slope at the rear so should be fine.

Brilliant stuff, thin nose it is :-) :-)

Cheers

Al
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 02:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Brad,
That's what I though it was meant to be but part A20 looks much more crow bar like to me!!!

Mate, I'm still quite sure that A26 is the crowbar, and that A20 is the mattock handle... If it were the other way around, I wouldn't want to be swinging the mattock under a power line :-) :-)
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 03:30 PM UTC
Early Dragon Shermans inherited the unwonderful Italeri tools that are best disposed of.

It's ages since I looked at my M4A1 - what does part MA3 look like?

David
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 04:42 PM UTC
If MA3 is a long strip with 4 strips attached along its length then it's a poor rendition of the cage at the bottom of the B Set aerial for the British WS19. Should of course be tubular construction. The other odd rectangular bit is the rest for the loaders' hatch on a Firefly.

David
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 14, 2007 - 05:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If MA3 is a long strip with 4 strips attached along its length then it's a poor rendition of the cage at the bottom of the B Set aerial for the British WS19. Should of course be tubular construction.

A ha! that explains it... Thanks for the info...

Quoted Text

The other odd rectangular bit is the rest for the loaders' hatch on a Firefly.

Not sure if this part is present... Just the above, and then the two vent grille covers...
 _GOTOTOP