_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Osprey Armour Modelling book--worth it?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 06:41 AM UTC
Is the Osprey Armor Modelling hard bound book by John Prigent worth the $35 price tag? I've read a few reviews of the book, but I want to hear from some of the newbies who have the book. A friend of mine who wants to start modeling again (after a 20 yr break) was asking me about the book when we saw it at the local book store.

I've lent him a couple of my Osprey Modelling Compendiums, but he was wondering about investing in one himself.

http://www.squadron.com/NoStock.asp?item=OS0974
cropduster
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 06:56 AM UTC
I think they're great, I am a Soviet armour-holic and I have both the T-34 Osprey modelling books, and one for Shermans (and countless Osprey reference books) and there is a wealth of info in them! And, especially if you're coming off a break like that, it is really cool to see some of the old and new masters @ work in those pages.
$35. maybe a bit pricey, but is it, really. I say learning new techniques, new tricks and ways to build are PRICLESS!!!!! and that's my 2 cents, hope it helps, drew
OldandSlow
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 07:21 AM UTC
That book, which I own, seems to be a collection of selected build articles on specific tanks that appeared in the various Osprey " Modeling The _______ " books, so I`m not sure I would buy it if I was going to get the individual titles, some of which are far better then others IMHO.

For almost the same $$$ I think the Osprey Masterclass book by Tony Greenland " Panzer Modeling, Revised 2nd edition " is a far better place to start for someone with some prior modeling experience since it covers in more detail basic to very advanced techniques in one cover.
scalecentral
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 44 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 07:37 AM UTC
If you are wanting that book, I can sell you my new copy for $15. I also have the Panzer Modeling book and would let that go for about $20. Just let me know.
Thanks,
Nic
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 08:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For almost the same $$$ I think the Osprey Masterclass book by Tony Greenland " Panzer Modeling, Revised 2nd edition " is a far better place to start for someone with some prior modeling experience since it covers in more detail basic to very advanced techniques in one cover.

Rob, I would agree with what Richard said. The book by John Prigent is nice but Tony Greenland's book would be a better investment. Even though it's title is "Panzer Modeling" the majority of the techniques he explains are useful for all armor models.

Best,
Mike
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 09:10 AM UTC
To be honest, I picked up more here and other websites than from any of the books I own.
Books don't answer your questions
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 01:47 PM UTC
Rob, here are two reviews of the book, both with different conclusions as to its value:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/2156

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/books/osprey/oarmmod.htm

Quoted Text

Books don't answer your questions

Depends on how coherent the original question is I suppose....
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 04:09 PM UTC
It's overpriced, but I got mine at Amazon for $23, which is about right. Had some useful build articles, and found a few new gems I hadn't thought of before.
Don't know how much experience your friend had before his layoff. Still, If I wanted to introduce someone to the hobby, I'd start with the two Sheperd Paine books on tank building and dioramas--much more concentrated information for the buck, and they are really well-organized. Once he was hooked, only then would I show him a Tony Greenland or Osprey modelling compendium book. Call me a hoary old curmudgeon, but I would prefer someone learn to actually build models and enjoy solving things creatively rather than throwing money at every problem with another photoetch or resin set. Plus, seeing an amazing miniature that was built without tediously cutting, bending and supergluing hundreds of teeny bits of brass is good for the morale. I suspect many novices have taken one look at a build article for a Dragon Tiger I and taken up thimble collecting instead.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 18, 2007 - 05:27 PM UTC
As I said earlier, "I've read a few of the reviews..." --I'm not new to the internet.

I think I'll tell him to just save his money and lend him some of my books until he starts to build kits on his own. I've given him a couple of kits that he'll begin working on this weekend. I don't think he got passed tube glue and brush painting when he was in high school.
 _GOTOTOP