_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
My Pak 40 for Arty Up!
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 09:13 PM UTC
Hi guys, Here is my Pak 40, recently (ie. late) submitted for the Arty Up! campaign. Its about 95% done as a few more weathering touches and touch ups are needed. Its the DML version and is basically OOB with a few personal touches.
I scrathbuilt built the spade brackets from spare PE as I wanted to show the spade removed, I therefore filed off the brackets molded to the spade which can now be inserted into the scratchbuilt items if desired.
A set of wire cutters were added to one of the arms using lead foil for straps as observed on the Pak 40 seen here:

http://globetrotter08.free.fr/Musee/Guerre&paix/Pak40/Pak%2040%2015.JPG

I painted the barrel cleaning rods up as rangefinder poles as I have seen this done somewhere (Sorry I can't remeber the reference) and I figured its a field modification that could have been done by a crew taking pride in its work.
Markings are for the 1st Panzer division and the gun has acheived 5 'kills'
This gun was intended to be incorporated into a bombed out house diorama though I have yet to finish it!

James

210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 09:50 PM UTC
James-- nice looking job. I am not in artillery, but the paint job looks appropriate.
Well done!
DJ
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:24 PM UTC
Hi James: Nice looking Pak. You said you've seen a wartime picture of a gun crew that painted its cleaning rods in red/white? That's unusual. LOL

I wonder if they got teased?
Mars_Volta
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 10:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi James: Nice looking Pak. You said you've seen a wartime picture of a gun crew that painted its cleaning rods in red/white? That's unusual. LOL

I wonder if they got teased?

I think there's a common mistake between cleaning rods and ranging poles.

I'm not an expert in artillery but I think that ranging poles are usually painted red/white, at least for WW2 german stuff, and are used with artillery guns.

As the Pak 40 is a anti-tank gun it does'nt have ranging poles, only cleaning rods.

Maybe I'm totally out of the track, if so correct me!

ciao
Beaver22
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 01, 2007 - 11:45 PM UTC
Hi there
I noticed that the wheels have spaces inbetween the spokes. I have just bought the Tamiya kit and the wheels look completely different.

Are yours how the wheels should have looked and Tamiya are being lazy. I have looked for ref. pictures but to no avail.

You have done a fantastic job by the way. As a reward you can have this nice detail picture I found. Keep up the good work.

Stu
Mars_Volta
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Friday, February 02, 2007 - 12:00 AM UTC
Hi Stuart

IMO Tamyia has got lazy just lately (about their number of release...)

More seriously, the DML kit that James build contains 3 different types of road wheels, and the Tamyia type is one of them.

To view those 3 types:

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/dragon/dr6250d.htm

Cheers
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 04, 2007 - 03:08 PM UTC
Hi guys,
Thanks for your feedback, glad you like my Pak!
Ill just clear up a couple of things.

Stuart, about the Tamiya wheels, Philippe is correct. The style you have (often considered the 'early' style) is one of three sets provided by DML. As for reference picture check out the other photos at the link I posted earlier or do a google search and be persistant!

Roy and Philippe, The barrel cleaning rods on the arms of the gun were painted to double as range finding poles on the basis of a black and white photo I saw in a book somewhere where the alternate coloured rings were visible. I decided to paint the cleaning rods to double up as range finder poles on the basis of this and my desire to add a bit of colour to the finished peice.
I understand that this would have been very rare, or that I could have been mistaken (no other photos I have back this up), but I used my artistic license and my belief that any field modification you can think of it has already been done 10 times (a crew may have had the need for range finding poles and ussed their barrel rods) and thought 'what the hell' and went for it!

Its always nice to be a bit different anyways!

James
 _GOTOTOP