_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
trumpeter challenger 2
sasman21
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 50 posts
Armorama: 44 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 01:14 PM UTC
finally got my hands on the trumpeter kit (make that 2 kits) of the challenger 2 and just have to say that after reading the reviews on the web about the kit I have to say that those reviewers must have been verry unlucky in the kits that they got because the moldings on both my kits are very crisp and clear without any deformation of detail and I am so happy that the markings supplied are of one of the tanks I was in when I was with the Scots DGs 2 years ago
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 02:44 PM UTC
That is good to hear. After reading so many negative reviews I had decided that I would blow a wad of cash and buy either the Accurate Armour, or Cromwell resin kit. I still might do that but I'll probobly pick up the Trumpeter kit when it shows up at my local shop.

Mike
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 459 posts
Posted: Friday, February 28, 2003 - 02:55 PM UTC
I just hope the same is true with the AS-90 kits that they've released. I've heard pretty mixed reviews about it too.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 11:11 AM UTC
Haven't built my AS90 yet, but inside the box it looks a heck of a lot better than the Osorio that I have built. No flash, crisp detail - just hope that it all actually fits together without superglue, tape etc.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 04:56 AM UTC
Hi all
I have here 2 AS90's and a Challenger II.As has been said there is very little wrong with any of the mouldings and the only problem i have is deciding which one to build first.
Happy modelling
Peter

Stormbringer
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 06:45 AM UTC
Hi all
Since my last post i've started my Challenger II. The first thing i've noticed is that the road wheels etc have a moulded pip on the faces that go together during assembly,it seems that this needs to be removed in order to get the wheels together properly.
It also seems that Trumpeter have transposed part no's C24 and C25 in the instructions because if you follow them the parts seem to go on upside down.Could someone please check this on their kit for me?
Also is anyone interested in comparing notes as they build their kits?Please let me know.
Happy modelling
Peter
PhilipBBT
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 09:28 AM UTC
The Trumpeter Challenger 2 has been the subject of a few critical reviews, however the level of detail on this kit is far higher than that of the Tamiya Challenger 1 costing twice the price. The road wheels are the worst feature of this kit, the tyres being off center and the hubs incorrect. There are other areas where more detail could be added, but on the whole this is a nice kit.
Trumpeted have just announced a set of injection moulded track for this kit, and are said to be working on a new version with up-armour package as seen in Iraq.

PhilipBBT
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 10 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2003 - 09:34 AM UTC
The Trumpeter AS-90 has been better received by the modelling press. The kit is good for the L39, though the barrel is the wrong length. For the L/52 'Braveheart' version, the gun crutch needs to be changed.
kathoon
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2003 - 09:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The road wheels are the worst feature of this kit, the tyres being off center and the hubs incorrect

Accurate Armour makes a replacement set for those wheels, so that might help
http://www.accurate-armour.com/aaproducts.cfm?CFID=80045&CFTOKEN=48258986&navlevel=1

Acc. Armour says that trumpeter just made a copy of there AS-90 (thats not nice from trump. )? so thy make now also update kits for the older and recent AS-90

greetz Jan
 _GOTOTOP