_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
References on 17/21 Lancers Shermans?
MTDriver
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 38 posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 01:53 PM UTC
Hi,anyone any sites or ideas where I might find details of Shermans used by the 17/21st Lancers in Italy in WW2.All I can find at present is that they were part of 26th Armd Brig,6th Armd Div.
I have tried their web page,but there are no real specifics outlined,just that they used Shermans.Would like to know what mark of Sherman,AOS badges etc.
TIA......Dave.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 02:21 PM UTC
Tried the IWM photo database and it has a couple of colour photos of 17th/21st Lancers like this one

Of course it's a human interest shot and the tank is just a prop. However, the welded hoods visible on the glacis make me think that it's a Sherman III (M4A2). In this case the Dragon Tarawa M4A2 has the right hoods. The tank also has three bar cleat track. The only other possible 17th/21st Sherman I found (on the QRL site) had a one-piece nose, which also suggests a Sherman III, though I couldn't get the photo to appear at anything other than thumbnail size.

As for markings, hit the 6th Armd Div link here:

British markings

As the middle unit in the brigade, the tac markings might (in theory) be yellow.

David
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Monday, February 05, 2007 - 04:00 PM UTC
Dave,

If you follow the link to my Regiments Museum, you could try emailing the Curator, who may very well be able to assist you with some of the information that you require.

http://www.qrl.uk.com/m_home.html

John
MTDriver
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 38 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 02:13 PM UTC
Thanks David and John.I thought the Acorn Armour site was very interesting.John,am a former Lancer,didn't occur to me (Doh) to get in touch with curator,but I think the museum isn't going to be at Belvoir castle in future,will try to find out more.Again thanks for info.
Dave
 _GOTOTOP