_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Reviewers URGENTLY Needed
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 - 10:18 PM UTC
I have got several sets of PE which need a qualified (i.e. familiar with the subject area) reviewer.

The sets are 1/48th scale Eduard and Aber.

I'd particularly like someone who is currently building in this scale and can do a good and rapid job on them.

Several of the sets are for the Tamiya Cromwell in 1/48th which really needs someone with good knowledge of the original vehicle and/or experience in the donor kit itself.

I've also got a replacement Lee turret which I could do myself, but I would prefer someone who understands the shortcomings of the Academy kit.

If you feel you can help contact me here or thru a PM..Thanks, Jim
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 783 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 12:04 AM UTC
HI Jim,

Unfortunately, I cant help you with these, but in the future, if you need someone to write a review on anything in modern 1/35 scale, let me know. I am pretty familiar with most of the kits and subjects, and would be willing to help you guys out now that your short handed with Vinny gone. For modern kits and accessories, you may want to ask Pete aka "epi" to do some reviews also. He is probably the most knowledgable person I know on the subject of modern armor and vehicles. Rob aka "AFV Rob" would also be a good choice for such subjects. Take care, and cya around!

Gary
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 04:03 AM UTC
Gary, thanks for the kind offer - don't worry, you'll be kept in mind. No, we aren't really short handed, it's just that I have a bit of a backlog due to being given a fair amount of stuff from manufacturers at Nuremberg. I can work my way through the majority of it, but it's better we have people who are more 'specuialized' with some of the material.

With the (restored) system of Non-Solicited reviews it's going to mean a lot more reviews being done by a lot more people with a lot more 'specialization'. It'll also encourage people to review for the first time - good for the site!...Thanks again Gary
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Armorama: 713 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 04:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

With the (restored) system of Non-Solicited reviews it's going to mean a lot more reviews being done by a lot more people with a lot more 'specialization'. It'll also encourage people to review for the first time - good for the site!...Thanks again Gary

That's a million dollar paragraph, Mr. Rae, and a most welcome statement, IMHO. . .I REALLY miss the diversity of reviews and reviewers at Armorama, great news indeed!
Cheers,
~Mark
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 04:47 AM UTC
And hopefully we'll get some reviews and features on some of the older kits that keep getting re-issued, so newcomers can find them in our data base.

Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 07:17 PM UTC
Well let me get my pad of paper and pen warmed up. I have a bunch of figures that I haven't seen reviews on, all modern of course. I also have the AFV Bradley tracks I can write something up on. What else
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
Armorama: 268 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 08:06 PM UTC
Sorry Jim no can do - if you ever need a reviewer for sci fi kits or figures I would be more than happy to help out!-John
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 08:52 PM UTC
I just want to thank everyone who has contacted Jim and myself in the past few days. The response has really been great and I will try to get back to everyone individually when I have time.

But definately you will be going on the "list". Actually I am also thinking about creating a simple contributors database table for the network so people can submit their request for consideration and we have a way to track things better. But that will probably come a bit later.

Cheers,
Jim
Epi
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
Armorama: 2,556 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 09:09 PM UTC
Jim,
First I want to say that this is not a way in any form or fashion for me to get free stuff. As you can see in my post, I have plenty to review in my own stash for the sight.

My qustion is before the un-solicited review option was taken away, some of us was granted the opertunity to review items that came from the major dealers. For example, when Nate(PorkChop) was a moderator back in the original figure forum, he was nice enough to let me review most of the new modern figures that came from VLS. Will you try to establish such an option once again?
rfeehan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 727 posts
Armorama: 648 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 09:23 PM UTC
If you need any help I should still be listed in your current reviewers list although it has been about a year since I did anything for you. Just let me know.

Rob
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My qustion is before the un-solicited review option was taken away, some of us was granted the opertunity to review items that came from the major dealers. For example, when Nate(PorkChop) was a moderator back in the original figure forum, he was nice enough to let me review most of the new modern figures that came from VLS. Will you try to establish such an option once again?

Pete,
That option was never really taken away, just not communicated very well it seems. I still receive VLS review items directly and I would be happy to send you modern figure related items when they come out. Not much lately (that I have gotten anyways).

Also for the record....

We no longer try to prevent users from submitting unsolicited reviews. This was a point I tried to make in the recent video announcement and now will make again via a separate post.

Feel free to submit reviews either via the online form or the support center. As it was before, we cannot guarantee that all reviews will be published, but if you provide a few decent photos (hopefully of kit parts prior to or during assembly), and write up 500 words or more of decent text, we will likely publish your review.

Thanks,
Jim
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 06:34 PM UTC
First of all - thanks to all of you who contacted me offering their services

Secondly, I'm still left with some stuff which needs to be reviewed, so if anyone wants to contact me, we'll sort it out...Thanks, Jim
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 06:50 PM UTC
I'd be happy to assist in reviewing 1/48 scale items. I have many of the new Tamiya, Skybow and Hobby Boss kits on hand as well as a good number of detail sets already on hand.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 06:53 PM UTC
Rob, i've still got your address somewhere - I think there are some sets for the HobbyBoss M4s if your interested...
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 07:25 PM UTC
I've got the Hobby Boss M4A3E8 on the bench, but I can push it to the back of the bench real easily.
A-Train
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 715 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 08:24 PM UTC
I can do my bit if needed.
Anything Modern is my field.
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 10:41 PM UTC
Maybe I could inventory / publish my "stash" soon.Then the powers that be can lookit over and PM me about something they would like to be featured in a build / review?
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, February 11, 2007 - 10:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe I could inventory / publish my "stash" soon.Then the powers that be can lookit over and PM me about something they would like to be featured in a build / review

Carl, I know it may sound crazy, but believe it or not, what we're needing is reviews of plastic kits. There is a 'pending' pile of around 30-40 items, 99% of which are actually PE sets... Go figure..
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:26 AM UTC
Jim B

I have sort of been an a building crazy of US 1/35 vehicles for a huge dio. If there is anything you need that fits the Tamiya M20 armored car or Tamiya Jeep (the newest version) those will be on my plate next.

I am glad to see that contributions and participation of a broader group of members has been established. It is bringing a new buzz to the site!!
troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 783 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Monday, February 12, 2007 - 12:49 AM UTC
Hey guys, I have an idea. Why dont you all post a list of "/reviews wanted"? It seems that many of us already have the kits needed and simply need to write a review on it. As well, most of us are more then happy to contribute to the community and are not in this for the free model. Then, reviewers could sign up to do a specific review, and whatever subject is not touched on, you could then ask who would like to do a review on a model they dont have and send the appropriate person the appropriate kit for review if its needed. any thoughts on the idea??
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 13, 2007 - 12:33 AM UTC
One thing (particularly those who are starting out) will (hopefully ) find useful is this:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/929
afv_rob
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,556 posts
Armorama: 2,199 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 01:53 AM UTC
Well sadly Jim I cant help with the reviewing of the items you posted, not my area of expertise, not that I have an area of expertise anyway :-)

I just want to say thoguh how pleased I am to see that the site is once again accepting unsolicited reviews again, this was one of the factors that set armorama higher than most other sites, I think its that greater level of particaption thats allowed to the average joe that makes people love this site so much. Normally reviews are accepted only by an elite few on most sites, but hopefully we can all once again share our knowledge and expertise on a particular subecjt. Its much better this way, becuase you get those who really are experts on somethign reviewing a product they actually have knowledge on, I do hate seeing reviews in magazines and such by people who dont have a clue on the subject area and merely comment on the look of a kit and not its overall accuracy.

Good work guys! Time to go through my stash and see what I can review. If you get anything humvee related id be happy to review it, aswell as any modern figs and such like.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 02:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well sadly Jim I cant help with the reviewing of the items you posted, not my area of expertise, not that I have an area of expertise anyway

Well Rob, i'm sure there's a model or a book, or an update set that YOU'VE bought recently which people would want to hear about?

The way it's going to work, is that there are still going to a lot of reviews which are of material provided by manufacturers or publishers. These are passd onto people who are sufficiently qualified to review them. In many cases, it'll be a 'Preview' first - basically 'what's in the box' then the process is going a little further, it'll be passed onto someone who'll do a FULL build of the kit and that'll appear in the reviews section. Here's a good example of this process in action:

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/2360

What is also going to happen (very soon) is that the entire 'look' of the Review section will change making it easier to navigate. This will all work in the site's favor - manufacturers will continue to support the site and the site-user will feel more comfortable with the site boosting traffic which in turn boosts advertising revenue.

It's a win-win situation for everyone...
 _GOTOTOP