Italeri Horch KFZ 15 OOTB : : Finished : :
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 02:53 AM UTC
Ola Guys

This is the old Italeri Horch Kfz 15 built completely ootb with exception of the seats which were covered with medical tape. Sprayed in Tamiya Acrylics. Washed, filtered, drybrushed, chipped with Humbrol several colors and dusted with Mig Pigment Europe Dust. The boxes are some from a couple of sheets that I got from Graywolf (Engin Kayral) Oh and the 9;/meters in the dash were handpainted... just after I had assembled the vehicle... Painted the vehicle and mostly did the weathering of the vehicle.
Ok Enough talk ... pictures of the vehicle now.
First set of pics is just before the final weathering
First pic is of the spraying template I made and used for the little windmill as division marking

And this is the result after an evening of washing. Filtering, Chipping, Drybrushing etc. etc.

Here is a picture of the Instrument panel

And some more pictures

Second set of pics The Final product... Don't look too much at the glossy appearance of the Seats... that is the result of the Matt varnish still drying.

Really curious of what you guys think of it

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
barron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 666 posts
Armorama: 598 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 04:03 AM UTC
Very nice. Love the weathering
mark197205
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,593 posts
Armorama: 1,465 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 04:24 AM UTC
Very nice build Robert, the weathering is quality, just one minor thing, the rear number plate doesnt look straight, the inboard edge is higher than the outboard edge, only by about a millimetre, but its quite notice-able.
M-60-A3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 808 posts
Armorama: 479 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 04:47 AM UTC
Hi Robert,
Nice weathering job. Like the dusty look you've acheived. I'd go .
Joe
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Armorama: 1,248 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 05:19 AM UTC
Hi Robert

VERY nice job on this kit. I just built it myself a few months ago and really liked the build. It's a great little kit and your work on it is very nice indeed. I like your weathering and the use of your own markings. The cardboard boxes in the back are a nice touch too.

I tried the 'salt weathering' technique on mine with DAK yellow over grey, but I used acrylic paint for both colours and the salt ruined the finish a bit. By the time I finished weathering it though, it's less noticible.

You did a great job on yours and I really like it....very well done!!

Bob
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 06:29 AM UTC
Nice to see these old classic kits getting built.
Nice job Robert.
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 07:10 AM UTC
Really nice weathering! This old kit was one of the first 1/35 subjects I ever built. Good to see some hard work pay off with these old subjects. It looks to me like all four wheels do not touch the ground. It appears either the passenger side front or driver's side rear are off the ground in some of your pictures...
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 10:13 AM UTC
A masterclass in 'how to make a oob Italeri kit look great'. Beautifull weathering, dirty without being filthy. Just as a looked after vehicle would look after a long day on the road.
Slechts een ding dat me opviel Rob.
The Windmill is the sign of the Hohenstaufen Division. Which was SS, not Wehrmacht, regards the numberplate.
Good job on the dials, I have trouble just getting the white to stay within the dials, never mind the needles...

Doei
Henk
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 11:53 AM UTC
Good job on this one. Some of the old kits can still make really good models with a little TLC.
Very nice subtle blended in weathering

Thanks for sharing
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 02:15 PM UTC
Ola Guys

Thanks for the replies.

@ Mark
I know that the licenseplate is not straight... pitty I only found out after I made the pics... not much I can do about it now as it is already set and solled.

@ Bob
It is a very neat little kit and although it's age might be considered as very old in my eyes it still wins from 90% of the Tamiya offerings when it is about Mold quality , Detail quality and fit...

@ Dave...
A classic would be the right word for this kit... It is just so good... Italeri re released it again.

@ Thomas
You are right about not all 4 wheels touching the ground but that is only in these pictures. I did not have enough light when I made the pics so I folded the piece of paper a bit to create a bend... I placed the vehicle in the middle of the bend... This way the white paper around it will act as a lightscreen and will project light on the cehicle... In Real life when not standing in the band it clearly sits with all 4 wheels firmly on the ground.

@ Henk thanks for your comments about the weathering... Actually it was not only me but also the kit which was despite it's age in a wonderfull condition. It is true that "a" windmill is the division sign of the 9th SS PZDiv Hohenstaufen Dvision but it is more a simplified Windmill existing of only 2 Shapes. you can see it here

While the windmill I have on my vehicle is from the 347. Inf Div and consists of 5 shapes. The 347. Inf Div was stationed in Holland quite close to Ijmuiden and was there from 42 to 44. If you go on that page to Buidlings and look up the Div sign of the 347 Inf Div you will see the difference between the Hohenstaufen Sign and the 347 Inf Div sign.
http://chrito.users1.50megs.com/_data/divemblems/emblems1main.htm
Thanks for your comments about the dials by the way.

@ Jesper Thanks for your comments.

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
MeCOwhy
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 60 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 02:34 PM UTC
Hi there,

Really nice work Faust! I just love the looks of the dust. Makes me think of a picturesque gravel road winding between endless fields under the sun.... :-)

The only tiny issues, if I may, are the instrument panel - a bit too bright and clear compared to the rest of the car, and the right rear wheel - it's much cleaner than the three other and a bit shiny... but maybe it's just my eyes.

I like the looks of the back licence plate! Who said they were all so accurate back then?

Cheerio,
Mikolaj
FAUST
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 - 09:21 PM UTC
Ola Mikolaj

Thanks for your compliments about the dust... I want to show the vehicle as it is been driven over, exactly like you said, unpaved roads in a good summer... And not all summers are wet here in the lowlands.

The sharp tone of the dials are toned down with the Clear varnish in which I mixed just a tiny drop of khaki. The wheels are the same and I think it is a trick of the pic that it appears other then the rest.

well the chance of the Livense plate being right is more or less standardized I think... But the division signs were also stencilled onto the vehicle so they could be a little off center or not straight. Anyway... as much as I 'd like to change it... it is already set and solled into place.

Thanks again for your reply

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 04:18 AM UTC
She looks great Robert, as everyone has said dusty appearance it bang on the money.
 _GOTOTOP