Hosted by Darren Baker
Savastopol Railhead update
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:30 AM UTC
Very impressive build. I like the job you did on the mud.
Good idea also with the machinist.

Cheers
Claude
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 12:02 PM UTC
All the vehicles and figures have really given this a huge lift. Its hard to imagine the scene, when its empty of life. I was originally thinking that there was too much open space, but now it appears to work perfectly. I had imagined my scene to be somewhat tighter, but after seeing how this works, I might actually allow more space as well.
The guy shoveling the coal on top of the tender wagen ... who is the manufacturer? CMK and prieser have a similar figure or have you converted one of the Miniart figures? I want something simlar on mines ... thats why Im asking.
Its all looking impressive so far, Kym. Keep it going ... your effort is starting to pay off!
Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 02:11 PM UTC
Yes Frank, it is CMK 35067 Railwaymen Pt.2. I also have Railwaymen Pt. 1 on order as well. There are still 20 or so figures to be added, a tank crew getting the Panzer IV ready, the MG42 heavy machinegun crew for the second floor, a mine detector/clearing crew working by the bomb crator and a crew unloading the boxcar, whenever the hell that arrives. Oh yeah! and the big brass in the offices.
Jamesite
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,208 posts
Armorama: 2,152 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 04:18 PM UTC
Wow, this is really starting to come together.
It's going to be one impressive diorama when it's done! I really admire your patience/persistence at tackling such a huge project!
Keep up the good work,

James
TB2
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 361 posts
Armorama: 279 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:42 PM UTC
Kym, great work! I'm getting materials together for a rail yard diorama I'm working on, so I'm following your build with interest. Out of curiosity, what's the difference between a rail yard and a rail head?
TB2
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 361 posts
Armorama: 279 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:42 PM UTC
Kym, great work! I'm getting materials together for a rail yard diorama I'm working on, so I'm following your build with interest. Out of curiosity, what's the difference between a rail yard and a rail head?
Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 03:19 AM UTC
Thanks for the encouragment fellas.
Barry, I think the rail experts could answer better, but I think a railyard is exited in both or many directions and a railhead is the end of the line.
seuss95b
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 12:15 PM UTC
Impressive. Your progress photos are great along with your dio. I am very impressed by your building, great work!
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 01:39 PM UTC
Wow, suddenly the scale of this project becomes apparent, when all the vehicles are added. Looks great! You can be proud of that one.

Thanks for sharing
Airchalenged
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 188 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 02:28 AM UTC
Impressive to say the least :-)

Matt
Tapper
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 664 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 01:12 AM UTC
I really admire the patience and level of detail you have put into your diorama. Good work!
PanzerEd
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 402 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 03:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Impressive to say the least :-)

Matt

I could not agree more. This dio must have cost a fortune!!! I could never sanction that with my better half, haha

An inspiration to us all

Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 05:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I could never sanction that with my better half, haha

The only way I can afford it was to have the wife sanctioned
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, March 23, 2007 - 07:02 PM UTC
These are a couple of photos of an area that was too blank, so I decided to build a workshop onto the end of the station. Not completed yet, still toying with ideas. There will be a Panzer IV engine hanging frim the block and tackle frame with the 2 mechanics working on it. Figures and equipment are still a bit too shiney and will be Dullcoated. Still a long wat to go yet.

Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 11:23 AM UTC
Here's the almost completed Commandant's office. I wish I had thought of adding lighting earlier, probably would have looked good with a light hanging from the ceiling.
USMarine
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 475 posts
Armorama: 259 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 02:10 PM UTC
hey

nice dio there

one nick pick i saw was the flag on the station is that the nazi sign is round the wrong way,should be like the one on the arm patch on the hitler pic which is very good buy the way ,is it a decal
Davester444
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 850 posts
Armorama: 548 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 03:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

one nick pick i saw was the flag on the station is that the nazi sign is round the wrong way,should be like the one on the arm patch on the hitler pic which is very good buy the way ,is it a decal

The flag is correct. Since it would be made out of fabric, one side of the flag would always appear to be the wrong way round.

Dave
FlaminPole
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 07:09 PM UTC
Great dio! As with some of the others, I can't believe I've missed this one also!

I only have one nitpick, and thats because someones post about the flag drew my attention to him. Near the door to the station is a figure (I have the same one, hes from dragon) with his weapon unslung. I can't tell whether he is leaning against the building or not, but by his positioning, he might be a guard. Chances are, with brass inside the building, he wouldn't take his chances by being lazy and leaning, and since there is nothing happening (like combat) he probably wouldn't have his K98 in his hands-safety issues. Perhaps you could replace him with one of those fine new military police sets that came out.
Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 07:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

only have one nitpick, and thats because someones post about the flag drew my attention to him. Near the door to the station is a figure (I have the same one, hes from dragon) with his weapon unslung. I can't tell whether he is leaning against the building or not, but by his positioning, he might be a guard. Chances are, with brass inside the building, he wouldn't take his chances by being lazy and leaning, and since there is nothing happening (like combat) he probably wouldn't have his K98 in his hands-safety issues. Perhaps you could replace him with one of those fine new military police sets that came out.

Now that I look at the photo I can see what you mean, but he's not a guard. He kept falling over when I was placing some figures, so I just lent him up against the wall. Good idea about the military cops though. That should take the total of figures in the dio up to about 70. I think I'm starting to suffer burnout from doing so many figures so I might have to do a quick 1:350 ship for a break.
DUBDUBS
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 624 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 08:09 PM UTC
Great work! It reminds of the railyard scene in the movie "The Eagle has Landed" with Michael Cain.
Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 09:06 PM UTC
Does anybody know of any 1:35 figures, plastic or resin, that are of German soldiers with weapons and standing at attention? I've just gone through Geat Models web pages of 1:35 figures twice and could find nothing resembling what I need.
FlaminPole
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 102 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 11:16 PM UTC
I suppose that is one of those gray areas that manufacturers don't represent too well...
CReading
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Friday, April 20, 2007 - 11:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The flag is correct. Since it would be made out of fabric, one side of the flag would always appear to be the wrong way round.

Actually, if it were a banner meant to be hung or draped against a flat surface with the correct side out this would be correct.
A flag, meant to be flown on a pole or hung from a pole would be manufactured or sewn so that regardless from which side it is viewed it should look correct.

Cheers,
Charles
Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 06:18 AM UTC
This will be the basic finish of the railway station area. Any suggestions of detailing would be appreciated. All of the figures and equipment are just posed, not fixed in their positions and the flag has not been mounted, but will be fixed in that general area.
I had to delete some earlier photos to make room for these.

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 01:26 PM UTC
Nice work, its beginning to look"lived in"

One thing, be carefull what you mix together in terms of uniforms,like winther and summer cloathes, hand guns that dont belong to the units present (like the FG42 at the mg.stand) or early war and late war uniforms.

Cheers