Armor/AFV: Softskins
Softskins group discussions.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Some Dutch DAF softskins reference pic's
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 03:56 AM UTC
Hey all!

For those interested, there are posted a few reference pictures of some 1960's - '80's Dutch army softskins from the DAF company (Dutch Automobile Factory).
Especially the DAF YA66 is something different. Apart from the fact the lights in the museum were a nightmare, I hope you like them...

DAF YA66

DAF YA 126

DAF Pony

DAF YA66; who wants a jeep now???

Paul
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 04:10 AM UTC
Nice photos Paul.
Looks like a Mule:

Is it a Dutch License built copy?
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 04:27 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

I was wondering also what the connection between the Mule and the DAF Pony could be.
For what I know the Pony was totally an own design from DAF (using the DAF Variomatic technics) but the resemblence is so close.
Hope some one can clear this out.

Paul
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 05:08 AM UTC
Did some Googling arround.

On the Dutch Wikepedia page about the DAF Pony it is mentioned that the Pony came out of a failed order for the US Army in 1968. The total production was 700 pieces...

So there are some connections with the older Mule and I think the Pony was for a great part based on the Mule. The main difference between it is the motor (as the Pony had the pattented Variomatic transmission)

The major differences can be seen looking at drivers side pics of the Mule and Pony. Most Mule's had the engine at the back, the Pony in the middle.

Paul
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 10:16 AM UTC
Paul, Paul,

Dutch Automobile Factory indeed.... :-) Good try though

DAF is an abbreviation of the original name of the company, which started out building semi-trailers.

'Van Doorne’s AanhangwagenFabriek' ('Van Doorne's Trailer Factory').

Started building trailers, branched out into trucks, and also made a small car (the infamous DAF 66 and DAF 99... with variomatic... much maligned, just like the Reliant in the U.K. :-) ) but today only builds Trucks. Incidentally, DAF hold the largest market share for commercial vehicles in the U.K., both light and heavy weight.

Cheers
Henk (who currently steers a battered CF75 most nights, up and down farm tracks... )
 _GOTOTOP