_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Scud-B in progress....
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 3,040 posts
Armorama: 1,016 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 06:18 PM UTC
Hi Guys!

I finally started my Scud-B from Dragon. I read many stories that this is a horrible kit to build. And to be honest,....it is But it makes the challenge to build it only more exiting. So this is the result so far. Not really impressive but it is a start. I just entered the world of scratchbuilding and I have to say, it is really satisfaying. Much more enjoyable then a normal build!

So if you have any tips or comments please let me know!

Workstation

Jurjen
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 06:24 PM UTC
Yeah, I build this one as well. It is quite a beast to struggle with, but it is worth the efoort. It turns into quite an impressive model, when finished.
jasondiggs
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 120 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 03:40 AM UTC
This will definately be a build to watch. good luck.
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 03:53 AM UTC

Very cool! I'm looking forward to this too.

Cuhail
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Armorama: 1,248 posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 04:20 AM UTC
Hi Jurjen;

I too will be watching this thread with intent interest. I have this kit as well and have just started dry-fitting and building a few subsections and bits from the box. This will be fun.....

Bob

Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 813 posts
Armorama: 522 posts
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 - 07:05 AM UTC
Hi,
Building this beast is a chore but the results are worth it, it's so ugly it's cool. I've built 2, one for a client and one for myself ( just finishing up paint)
A few points about the build I can offer. Dry fit, dry fit, dry fit ,especially the front cabins, make sure that they are square when they meet up with the roof when assembled ( I speak from experiance) and follow the build sequence - it will work in the end. One other point make sure the frame is square and straight, they had a habit of warping and bending.
Good luck comrade!
Regards
Peter
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 06:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

A few points about the build I can offer. Dry fit, dry fit, dry fit ,especially the front cabins,

Haha, this is sooo true,........ :-) :-) There was a modelling event here in Holland past weekend and I was behind the stand and I really spend most of the time dry fitting, thinking, dry fitting, thinking,..........

When I got home I started to work on the front and the inner sides of the cabins. Not really impressive but I'm glad it worked out the way I wanted. Now I need to make the interior walls and the sides of the cabines. It's a bit frustating that you need to do it twice each time,....grrrrrrrr

The photo shows the basic shapes and still needs to be sanded, fill some gaps and add the details. I hope you like it but it is still a long road,.......

Cheers!

Jurjen
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 07:05 PM UTC
Man thats gonna be great. Another thing make sure the cabins sit square to the frame, they can easily go out of whack. One more point, the rear most wheels on the drivers side are too close to the missile controller, so they will need to be spred out a touch, otherwise they will rub.
I still have to finsh the Cyrilic markings that I designed for the rocket, it looked to plain wthout them.
Its looking really good
Regards
Peter
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 455 posts
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 07:18 PM UTC
Thanks for posting these. My 24 year old son tried to build this when he was 13. It's in pieces in the box and he has asked me to finish it one of these days. Looks like a real bear to build but you've inspired me to consider building it.

Thanks,
Gary
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 07:26 PM UTC
Thanks for the pointers Peter! Do you have some soms pics online from your build?

trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 08:09 PM UTC
Got one of these as a gift years ago. May actually have to pull it out of the stash...
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:45 PM UTC
Ok Jurgen, you are making me look bad! (two years I have been "almost done" with my Cargo version of this kit) I will finish it up soon and post pics...I needed this kick in the pants. If you can scratchbuild better details onto it, I can finish up my painting. Boy i can be lazy sometimes.

I look forward to seeing what you do. I have 5 copies of this kit and I really need to build a few. I have always liked this vehicle, but the kit can be a challenge, if just for size.

Keep it up Jurgen, keep on inspiring us all!
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 12:27 AM UTC
Hi Jacques!

Five copies?,......respect! To build just one would be a huge challenge from what I have read on the internet :-)

I will post new pics tomorrow. Today I started with the side wall and inner wall from the drivers cabin. It is a real to line those things up.

It is really inspirering to read the enthousiastic comments and it really helpes me to go on and on since this is my first try at serious scratching. So far it has been a real pleasure and it is so much fun creating something from ordinary Evergreen.

Jurjen
ISNateJH
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 5 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 02:23 AM UTC
Ah yes the venerable Scud-B system Cant wait to see how the rest of this kit comes along be sure to keep us posted on its progress. One book you might want to get a copy if you are looking to add more detail to the model is a book put out by New Vanguard called “Scud Ballistic Missile and Launch Systems 1955 –2005” the book has lots of photos and specs. I used it for my 3D simulator project for building the scud model meshes.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 - 07:31 AM UTC
Sorry Jurjen...that g keeps sticking...

Anyhow, a better book for modelling the SCUD is the Concord book. It is in a review here on the website along with the New vanguard book. The Concord book has more detail shots, especially of the cabs.

Off to work on my "beast".
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 01:50 AM UTC
Lol, no problem Jacques :-)

Oke, just a small update.

Really frustating to discover that the eduard set has an interior too. (well, I just forgot it, lol :-)) So I had to remove the instrument panel at the first photo, grrrr

These are just the basic shapes of the interior so far and I need to add the bolts, wiring etc etc later on. I also need to fill some small gaps etc.

Slowly moving on,....

Jurjen
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:35 PM UTC
Hi Guys!

Small update

Finally been busy on the main parts on the interior. It is still very basic but I thought i would be handy to place the largest parts first. Then need to do the wiring and the final touches. Still a long way to go!

Cheers!

Jurjen
squeeky1968
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 315 posts
Armorama: 232 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 02:49 AM UTC
Many Thanks for the warnings about the fit on this kit,i`ve got one of these beasts in "stash" to do do so forewarned is forarmed !!!!!
Austin0311
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 169 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 03:22 AM UTC
I've got this beast at home and was waiting for someone to build it first so I would know what the problem areas were...LOL Thanks for helping me out and it looks like it will turn it awesome.
gbkirsch
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 627 posts
Armorama: 455 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 05:12 AM UTC
wow, it just figures. A big ole kit like this with fit problems. Sometimes I think these manufacturers are just mean!

Gary
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 05:56 AM UTC
Jurjen,

Looking good! Keep us posted on your progress.
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 08:23 PM UTC
Hi Guys!

Thanks for the comments. Last days I spend most of the time soldering the PE parts together but it isn't really exiting to show though. Today I went to the DIY shop and bought some alluminium Tube which is almost the same diameter as the Scud missile. The Tube is 1 mm too narrow :-) :-) Now I need to find someone the engrave the panellines in the missile,......

Cheers!

Jurjen
Joker
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 10:53 PM UTC
Man this coming along, I also know there is along way to go. I used pics from "Tankmaster" for mine, I think If I remember they had some good interior shots. Finding the right colour was a bit of a chore , I ended up using Polyscale "Italian Camo Green", it seemed to capture that sickly Russian green quite well!
Keep it up your doing a great job, Regards
Peter
Lonneke
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 11:48 PM UTC
Hi Peter!

Thanks for the encouraging words. Believe me, they really help me moving along. I got most of the photos from tanxheaven so maybe you can give me a link to the photos where you got them from? I only have a few pics from the interior and to have some more would be great.

Jurjen
Jurjen
Visit this Community
Groningen, Netherlands
Posted: Friday, March 09, 2007 - 02:04 AM UTC
Hi guys,

Finally able to start on the other side of the cabines. But to be honest I'm really get bored of the interior. I just wish to continue on the rest of the vehicle,....it really seems that it is going to be an endless build...grrrrrrrrrrrr

Take care!

Jurjen
 _GOTOTOP