_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
My new Academy M3 Stuart- Pictures!
Andrewss
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2003 - 03:46 PM UTC
Heres my new M3 Stuart Pictures, well I yet to finish the decals and some other weathering things and etc. Ok comments and such are very welcome, im always up for improvment!

Here you go!

Ok hope you like it! :-)
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2003 - 04:36 PM UTC
$cott:
Nice little M3 you have there.
You've done a nice overall job on this tank. I especially like the look of the tools on the rear deck, (the wood handles, and metalized portions are well done).

The only nit I would have, (and I can't quite tell from the photos), but have you tied down the storage box on the front hull, and fastened/hooked the bags to something on the turrets sides? Again, just a nit,--- you've done well here, and I appreciate the pics and the opportunity to comment.

Steve aka WeWillHold
modelnut4
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 117 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2003 - 04:54 PM UTC
Lookin' pretty good there Andrew, I gather the Rt side headlamp got carried away when the guard bracket got ripped loose? A tip might have been to heat and poke the fender from underneath to represent the sheet metal deformation when the rivets and welds tore loose and maybe a dangling wire poking out someplace along the line. The sheet metal fenders weren't all that thick, they were just to deflect the mud and crud tossed up by the tracks. I always get carried away with the painting and weathering too. Things just seem to flow along and then you get to the point where you remember, oh yeah, those painted on markings got weathered too. It's not a big deal, after you get them on and sealed down with Future or Finish, you get to duplicate all that lovely weathering and rust, made even easier now that you basically have the outlines already there from before. If you use a gloss on top of the decals after they have dried overnight you can have a lot easier time with the black or black/green wash, it will flow a lot better and collect up in the crevices and raised portions a little faster. after you scrub off the excess and it gets nice and dry you can shoot on that old flat finish and carry on with the weathering and dry brushing and other fun stuff.

Like I said, lookin' pretty good can't wait to see it when you're done

Great pics!

clovis899
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 774 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2003 - 07:04 PM UTC
Looking good, always one of my favorite vehicles. Can't wait to see the final product, good luck with the rest of the work.

Coop
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Monday, March 03, 2003 - 10:31 PM UTC
Looking very good there, $cott. I like the weathering so far, and your wooden tool handles put mine to shame. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Mike

Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 01:11 AM UTC
Nice looking model so far.
Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 652 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 01:42 AM UTC
Nice.......keep up the posts
Selrach
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 466 posts
Armorama: 378 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 02:43 AM UTC
Looking very nice there Andrew

I like the affect you did with the wood handles on the tools, looks a little shiney tho.. but a bit of dull cote would clear that up... ( clear... dull cote... I made a pun...hehehe ) #:-) #:-) #:-)

Looks good. Would love to see it when you are done
shermanfreak
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 380 posts
Armorama: 202 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 02:52 AM UTC
Looking good $cott..keep the pics coming as you weather this little beast. :-)
Andrewss
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 11:28 AM UTC
thanks for the comments, I will post the final pictures when im done with the Stuart. I thiink that im gonna put the stuart in a new diorama in the Italian theater. Ok thanks again!
MrFritz
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 114 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 12:38 AM UTC
Looking good, although it is hard to tell from the pics since they are a bit dark. The wood handles have a real nice texture and don't look to be a solid color, as you'd expect in real life. How was this kit to build? I've had a few chances to buy this on eBay and got outbid, and have passed it up at the hobby store as well, but I'm thinking of getting it after all.

Thanks,
Andrewss
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 04:40 AM UTC
Its a very good kit, supposed to be the best stuart tank around (m3 that is). Its very detailed and comes with both british and american decals, see i got the "honey" because the hobby store didnt have the m3 american, so i just gambled and bought it anyway... so i painted it olive drb/olive green and low and behold the british version honey that i bought does come with american decals! that was very nice and the british side skirts are sepereate from the upper hull so that was nice too... So really both kits are american, just the honey is british or american! very cool. Um the kit was very cool in other ways also, it came with flexible tracks and "piece by piece" tracks, i chose the flexivble ones... um the interior is very detialed, they give you the interior with shell racks, radio, seats, etc... I did that but then i figured out that i wont see the interior... lol and i painted it!
Overall it was very nice
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 04:58 AM UTC
Hi $cott ...Looks pretty good so far..The only thing I would watch out for is that box right infront of the driver...It should be tied down and maybe moved out of the drivers view...One other thing ..I'm wouldn't swear on a Bible about this but I don't recall ever seeing a M3 in Italy...I think these were left behind along with all the Lees . If memory serves me right ,The American had recieved their M5s which weren't much better but had a bit more protection..I don,t want to ruin your plan of a dio in Italy but...Who knows there might be a picture out there!!

Richard
Andrewss
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 06:12 AM UTC
yeah i gotta investigate if m3's where in the italian theatre
thebear
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 3,960 posts
Armorama: 3,579 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 07:51 AM UTC
I'll ask a friend of mine and get back to asap..

Rick
Andrewss
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 10:24 AM UTC
cool, thanks!
SniperSoldier
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,638 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 03:16 PM UTC
VERY NICE TANK AND EXCELENT WORK - CONGRATULATIONS
ROBERTO
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2003 - 08:08 AM UTC
I just started my M-3. I see from your pictures that its the academy kit (matched up the instruction sheet details with mine to figure that out). Is yours straight out of the box? Did you use the link to link or the vinyl track? Any problems or difficulties, all I've done is the first two steps getting the suspenion built. Let me know, I like what I can see of yours so far
 _GOTOTOP