Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya Leopard 2 A5
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 02:35 AM UTC
Well as hobby lobby has the 1/2 sale have seen this kit any good worth the $25.00 smackers for it plus any airplane kits I should be looking at how about the C-130 from italeri
Thanks

Didn't want to post twice on the airplane stuff so sorry uncle albert.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 03:14 AM UTC
Yes, grab the Leo 2A5. Best modern German armor kit ever produced. I won one on the kithobbyist.com site, it was probably Tamiya's finest modern armor kit when it first hit the shelves several years ago.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 05:26 AM UTC
I agree with Rob, this kit is great at list price if you can get it for half off jump on it. I've built 2, the fit is great and it looks really good out of the box, if you choose to do some detailing it looks even better. I can't think of anything negative to say about it.

Cheers
Mike
Grasshopp12
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 459 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 11:04 AM UTC
The Leopard 2A5 went together with no problems at all. My only complaint about it, and you won't have to worry about this one, was the price ($52.00), but even then, I was very pleased with the kit. Detail and fit are outstanding.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 11:27 AM UTC
Run don't walk back and grab up the Leo 2A5 if they have it left!
It is as nice a kit as Tamiya can make, toss in a knife blade, a tube of glue, and shake the box. Viola ( or some other large stringed instrument) out pops a tank ready to paint!
The molding on the engine deck grills rivals PE.

OTOH, I think I remember hearing that the Italeri C130's had raised panel lines and not terribly detailed interior.
If that's a factor for you.

Mike
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 06:56 PM UTC
I was thinking of getting one myself.. It looks just wonderfull and the critics I've heard were all very positive. There is a conversion set from HKCW that transforms it to Swedish Strv with that lovely camo scheme... I'd really love to get my hands on that one.

Mario M.
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 10:05 PM UTC
Maki!! You're the man!! You took the words right out of my mouth!!!

I've got both the kit and the conversion kit. I'm gonna do it later on this year.

I love the look of STRV 122!!

It makes my happy to read that the kit is such a good one (I might even up it on the list.... #:-) )
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 11:17 PM UTC
Thanks to all Good one Rob will pick that dude up today!!

Quoted Text

I was thinking of getting one myself.. It looks just wonderfull and the critics I've heard were all very positive. There is a conversion set from HKCW that transforms it to Swedish Strv with that lovely camo scheme... I'd really love to get my hands on that one.

Mario M.

Well I have an article on this from AFV modeler if you want can scan and send issue 6 I think
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 11:48 PM UTC
Our own ArmoramA mate The_Swede, Thord Wedman, has a lot of great pictures on his website of the STRV 122. A great source of detailed shots of the STRV 122, among other armored subjects.

Visit his site here
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 02:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well I have an article on this from AFV modeler if you want can scan and send issue 6 I think

That would be great Jeff, thanks...

Quoted Text

I love the look of STRV 122!!

Ditto... it is one of the meanest looking modern MBTs. What do you think of HKCW set so far? I've heard they have the best aftermarket resin update sets.. Have you seen their IDF M113 conversion? Simply amazing..

Mario M.
Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 04:34 AM UTC
I'm working on the Strv-122 conversion right now, and it is the best resin conversion kit I've used. There is a review on Missing Links if anyone is interested. Also you can go to http://www.plasticwarfare.com/ they have some good detail pics of the Strv-122 there also, along with pics of some completed models in the gallery. (among them the 122 in AFV Modeller magazine)

Mike
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 09:16 AM UTC
Maki,

I've only looked at in the protective covering, but looks great. It is reassuring that Kelley thinks it is best conversion kit he has used!! The greatest kit with the best resin conversion kit sounds too good to be true for a humble Swedish piece!! But heck I'm not complaining, not one bit!!

Welcome Kelly!!! This is a great place here, hope you'll enjoy as much as I do!!
Maki
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
Posted: Thursday, March 06, 2003 - 09:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It is reassuring that Kelley thinks it is best conversion kit he has used!! The greatest kit with the best resin conversion kit sounds too good to be true for a humble Swedish piece!!

I've heard that from every single modeler that has built Strv... Now, if I get the kit and the conversion I need to buy an airbrush to do kit justice. And that would be spending big bucks.. hmm... I think Swedish camo pattern has rather sharp borders that could even be done with a simple brush. Am I going overboard here?

Mario M.
 _GOTOTOP