_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Cromwell Colors
IndyCopper
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 153 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 03:31 AM UTC
Hello everyone, I have just wrapped up the construction phase of the Tamiya Cromwell. I am not really all that well versed in British armor so I wanted to gather your thoughts on the appropriate color (tamiya acrylic) for this one. I think the instructions just cal for olive drab. What do all of you British experts suggest?
Pilgrim
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 516 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 03:51 AM UTC
I used Olive Drab on this Churchill and nobody complained :-). Before painting the Churchill I asked a similar question to yours in this thread and I think you'll find the answers useful.

Sean
hogarth
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 672 posts
Armorama: 592 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 03:52 AM UTC
OH NO! Not this discussion again!

Seriously, the color in question is SCC No 15, British Olive Drab. No color seems to match it super well. It's supposed to be a lot like US OD, for which the Tamiya color is great, but faded to a bit of a greener shade. I've heard of people using the Tamiya Olive GREEN rather than Drab and having good results. It might be a good starting place for you, perhaps "browned" up slightly? For my next British tank I plan to go that route, unless something better comes along. I dirty up my tanks a lot, so I'm not too worried about the base color as long as it's close.

HTH>

Rob
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 - 07:01 AM UTC
Four parts Tamiya Olive Green to three parts Tamiya Olive Drab is a reasonable mix for British SCC 15 Olive Drab.
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 02:52 AM UTC
We've got SCC 15 matched to Mike Starmer's chips. You can order Colourcoats ARB 19--no minimum order on paints and we ship worldwide.
 _GOTOTOP