_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
1/35 WWI Mk.IV - Which kit?
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 08:58 AM UTC
Hi all,

After seeing Charlie's most spectacular build of the Emhar 1/35 Mk.IV over in the Dio section I am really considering getting one of these kits and tackle it. But before I do, I have some questions. Mainly, are the Emhar kits the only game in town when it comes to 1/35 MK.IVs? If so, how's the fit and overall detail? I know I may have to get aftermarket tracks and guns probably but, at this point, I just need to know if trying to tackle one of these kits will give me more headaches then enjoyment.

Any info, as always, is very much appreciated,

Rob
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 01:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

After seeing Charlie's most spectacular build of the Emhar 1/35 Mk.IV over in the Dio section I am really considering getting one of these kits and tackle it. But before I do, I have some questions. Mainly, are the Emhar kits the only game in town when it comes to 1/35 MK.IVs? If so, how's the fit and overall detail? I know I may have to get aftermarket tracks and guns probably but, at this point, I just need to know if trying to tackle one of these kits will give me more headaches then enjoyment.

Any info, as always, is very much appreciated,

Rob

Emhar is your only choice for the Mark IV as far as plastic goes. The model has some real issues in shape and overall proportions, and fit needs checking while building. When finished it does look like a Mark IV, and is a simple build which won't cause too much frustration.

Bin the unditching rails as they are inappropriate for the Mark IV, and it's quicker to replace them. Airwaves did make a PE set before they were taken over by Hannants, but you needn't bother with it as it doesn't really add anything to the model.

If you haven't already looked at Peter Kempf's Landships site, you really should, it's the best single source of material on WW1 tanks (and other stuff) on the net.

David
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 06:19 PM UTC
Thanks much David!

I guess I'll have to rethink getting the kit then,

Rob
Phant3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 07:00 PM UTC
Ah, there is one other Mk. IV available from Interus. I've only seen it advertised on http://www.nkrmodels.com.au/ . There is a review of the kit at http://misc.kitreview.com/armourreviews/mkvreviewrb_1.htm .

HTH

Clair
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 07:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah, there is one other Mk. IV available from Interus. I've only seen it advertised on http://www.nkrmodels.com.au/ . There is a review of the kit at http://misc.kitreview.com/armourreviews/mkvreviewrb_1.htm .

HTH

Clair

Interus' tank is a Mark V, and has a few issues of its own, like the incorrect width of the tracks, and is generally a 'challenging' build - which means I never finished it Proportions are better than Emhar.

Davdi
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 02:02 AM UTC
Hi Rob.

The Emhar Mk4 kit isn't really all that bad. I liked it. Everthing fitted with no real problems...

Apart, that is, from the TRACKS!!!!

MAN! I just about had to use a 6" nail to hold them together! Couldn't get any glue to keep them in one piece. Finally managed with loads of superglue. A bit annoying but... They're still together 2 years later.

Go for it. It's not really that bad. Neither is the Emhar Whippet.
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 01:32 PM UTC
Oh God, the tracks! I have all the Emhar WW I tanks but have only built the female. The tracks have held me up for a long time, nothing will hold them together! Nothing. The kit built up with no fit problems at all, just the evil kitten killing tracks.

Jim Johnson
Soldotna, Alaska
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 02:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh God, the tracks! I have all the Emhar WW I tanks but have only built the female. The tracks have held me up for a long time, nothing will hold them together! Nothing. The kit built up with no fit problems at all, just the evil kitten killing tracks.

Jim Johnson
Soldotna, Alaska

Weird

I blobbed the tracks of mine together with Revell Contacta Professional and they've stayed together without any problems for over a decade.

The tracks on the 1/72nd version I also built split, but some superglue fixed that.

David
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 12:07 AM UTC
Guess I'll have to reconsider once more. I mean, I really like the looks of these tanks and always wanted to have a WWI machine in my collection. So, if I go with the Emhar kit(s) where can I get aftermarket tracks (if there are any)? I know Charlie mentioned something about Panzershop but have never heard of them. Any links?

Thanks,
Rob
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 12:41 AM UTC
Panzer Shop
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 02:01 PM UTC
Alternatively

Accurate Armour

David
GLW513
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 12 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 - 09:11 AM UTC
These kits are the first that I have encountered that didn"t have once piece tracks.
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 24, 2007 - 01:55 PM UTC
Hi guys --
I hope this helps ...I recently picked up a GREAT mk IV male at a swap meet ...made by MB models ..its resin ..with single link white metal tracks ...castings are clean and HEAVY!! lotsa resin there ..I think its a top notch kit .I know that accurate armour makes a great set of resin tracks suitable for the EMHAR whippet or MK IV kits...
good luck!!
Jim McI in Canada
 _GOTOTOP