_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
User submitted reviews. Guidelines.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 11, 2007 - 07:39 PM UTC
Now that we are again accepting reviews submitted by users, reviewing their own kits, and other modeling related parafernalia, it is time to outline what we need to be able to proccess your submission without to much trouble.

This is a suggested format, for what makes a balanced and pleasant to read review. This format is largely for Modelkits, books and figures have a different format. Guidelines for those will be posted as well.

Introduction - A brief intro of the subject matter, to give the reader without knowledge of the subject some background.

what is in the box - this should be factual, listing the contents of the kit. Any comments as to quality etc are to be left for the next paragraph.

In detail - this is where you look at the kit parts in detail. Try to follow a logigal pattern (such as the building instruction sequence, or like Jim Rae' figure reviews, broken down into constituent parts). Point out good point and bad, and if possible, take close-up pictures of relevant parts.

Building the kit - this is only relevant if you are sumbitting a built review, but if you do, try to concentrate on any problems, and tips, that you have come across, rather than just "part A2 goes on part B36".

Conclusion - This should be the last part of your review, where you give your opinion on the kit, quality, fit, decals, instructions etc.

References - not stricktly a neccessary addition, but if you have some references which you feel are very helpfull, and of interest of others, please list them at the bottom. No need to list your entire library, nor to say that you used the internet If you have however found a particularly good reference website, you can of course list that.

Photos

A good review has photos, to show the reader the parts, as well as any problems, up close. Ideally you should take an individual picture of each sprue, and any other items (decals, pE) included. Also include a picture of the box top artwork. If you built the kit, a few in progress shots are great. If you are doing a review of an older model, and you no longer have the box, and no pictures of the sprues, just take plenty of pictures of the finished model.

Please submit photos without resizing them, or editing them in any other way. We will resize, edit, crop etc as required. Also please switch off the date/time feature on your camera. Photos with the date/time imprinted on them can not be used. File size is not a problem when you ZIP the files, which is nesseccary to submit to the Support Centre.

If you have any questions, please post them here.

Thanks
Henk
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:22 AM UTC
Hi Henk,
nice to read we can submit again. The suggested format looks perfectly relevant and will help the reviewers as well as the readers in their quest of information.

I hope being able to submit something in a close future. I'm still waiting the AA Enigma conversion.

Olivier
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, March 12, 2007 - 06:30 PM UTC
An excellent article by Jim Rae on writing reviews.
Reviews
Filled with great suggestions on getting the most out of your submission, and making it easier on the editors.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 02:52 PM UTC
Ok so I'm writing up a review and I can't figure out where I submit the photos. To do so it says, "To add images to your review just ZIP them up in one file and submit them below. Make sure to reference your online review submission and indicate in the notes field above that you are submitting photos."

But as far as I can tell there is no "below". What should I be looking for? Thanks.

Jeff
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 04:57 PM UTC
Jeff,
I think the area you are looking at should say this, right?

Adding Images?
To add images to your review just ZIP them up in one file and submit them below. Make sure to reference your online review submission and indicate in the notes field above that you are submitting photos.
http://support.kitmaker.net

The "below" is the link to the help desk (Network Resolution Center).

Cheers,
Jim
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 - 06:07 PM UTC
Ok thanks Jim. So I've pretty much forgotten my password for my normal username, and am waiting for the forgotten password message to kick itself into my email account. But in the meantime, I created a fake username just to see where that goes. So now that I've logged into my fake account, where would I go then? I'd assume submit item. Going there gives me a list, do I just click on the Armorama button? If so, does that mean I send the review through the submit review page and then the images through the ticket thing?

Sorry for so many questions, first time and its pretty late at night. I appreciate all your help.

Jeff
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 08:08 AM UTC
The best thing to do is to just send the photos and put in some text about submitting the text of the review on the main site (and mention which review they are for).

Thanks,
Jim
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:24 AM UTC
Thanks. I'm doing that now.

Jeff
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 - 12:18 PM UTC
I submitted a review of the CyberHobby Neubau-Fahrzeug Kit 6666 for your approval about a week ago and have not heard anything back. Who reviews the submissions and photos?
thanks
DJ
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 - 12:57 PM UTC
DJ I have taken a look and your review is listed, I am sure one of the review staff will be in touch as soon as they get to your review.
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Monday, May 02, 2011 - 03:08 PM UTC
DJ, I was waiting for the images...wasn't sure if they were ready yet. I hardly ever check the text before the pics are sent, but yes the submission came through.

And for everyone that submits reviews, please follow Henks guidelines for photos above making sure they are at least 800x600 in size, and send them over to:

[email protected]

Zipping them up into a folder is an easy way to send and receive in the email system and including the submitted review text in a word doc is a way to insure that the full text was received in the submission (and serves as a great back-up).

Thanks!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2011 - 12:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ, I was waiting for the images...wasn't sure if they were ready yet. I hardly ever check the text before the pics are sent, but yes the submission came through.

And for everyone that submits reviews, please follow Henks guidelines for photos above making sure they are at least 800x600 in size, and send them over to:

[email protected]

Zipping them up into a folder is an easy way to send and receive in the email system and including the submitted review text in a word doc is a way to insure that the full text was received in the submission (and serves as a great back-up).

Thanks!

Ok, I'll try again with the photos
Thanks
tylusfaust
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 04:47 AM UTC
I'm thinking about writing some reviews. Can a review contain an Amazon link to the book or item?

Thanks in advance!
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 12:44 PM UTC
Raul,

You can add in the conclusion section of the review that you purchased the book/item at Amazon (or wherever) with the price paid. I'd rather not add a link as the item may sell out or become discontinued, and most readers have their favorite stores to purchase from. Stating in the review where you purchased from and price paid is always helpful to the savvy shopper to make the best decision and gives a good price reference no matter what part of the world they're in.
 _GOTOTOP