_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tauro manufactuter WWI tanks
strong
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 04:46 AM UTC
Can anyone tell me about the models from Tauro. How much detail are on there model? How accurate are they? How are they to build?

Thanks Danny
RichardM
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 383 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 05:12 AM UTC
I bought the model when it came out over 25 years ago but it's still in the stash So the only think I can say is the box content look mighty fine. Working suspension, workable tracks, interior (at least a good base).

There's a review at Panzer-Modell HERE It's in german but with the use of an online translator like babelfish you'll get a good idea.

nfafan
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 315 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 08:36 AM UTC
Another review...

http://www.landships.freeservers.com/tauro_1to35_a7v_review.htm

And "Mephisto"?...

http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/lsm/dhmg/meph1s.html
zululand66
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 233 posts
Armorama: 216 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 08:57 AM UTC
Hi All,
BE AFRAID! BE VERY, VERY AFRAID! The Tauro A7V kit does build into a decent representation of the real thing, but in order to get an accurate one, is going to take a TON of work. the suspension in the kit is fiction. You'll need to completely rebuild it if you want something accurate. Here's the rub: all the work will be hidden under the skirts. The interior is pretty bare, but is difficult to see unless you open up the crew doors. The tracks are sent to us directly from satan himself. They are vinyl (which is impervious to all solvents know to man), fragile, brittle and held together with steel pins (can you say nightmare?). There is a definitive book on the A7V detailing the differences between vehicles (each one was pretty much custom-made), so you're going to have to scrap the upper hull if you want to do a different vehicle than the one supplied in the kit. Also, the plastic used in the kit has a high vinyl content, which means it's really soft and difficult to cut cleanly. Also, the fit isn't the greatest. Putty us necessary, but be EXTREMELY careful as the vehicle is covered in rivets. This is really sad, as I'm kind of a fan of the beast. To date, I've built two, with a couple more in the stash. I brought one to a show and was told by a judge I should recieve an award just for finishing the kit! This one is a labor of love, no more no less. Hope that helps.
Regards,
Georg
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 01:42 PM UTC
I seem to be the only person who liked the Tauro tracks, driving the pins with a pair of flat-nosed forceps worked fine, and I only stabbed myself a couple of times. The only real excitement was getting the last pin in which required an extra pair of hands.

On the other hand, the bogies are a tragedy and the incredibly tough springs make building the susupension a chore. The interior is as fictional as the suspension (the gun is more like the British 6pdr than the German 57mm) so it's just as well that the grilles on the roof need splinter baffles adding (as on the originals) so you can't see the inside.

David
 _GOTOTOP