_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Backdating a Tamiya Centaur to a 6 pdr. gun
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 07:47 AM UTC
Having gotten all the needed parts and info to do a Tamiya Centaur into the Mark I version (including an appropriate Aber barrel), I can finally go ahead with my long-anticipated idea of doing a Centaur training tank. But with all I have, a few questions:

1) I'm not clear, but I assume the Centaurs used the internal track adjusting system with the knobs on the hull front.

2) David Maynard has recommended I leave off the dial sight head, but what specifically is that?

3) Do I correctly assume that the midwar British brown is the correct color for the training tanks, or other colors? What about markings?

Thanks for any help.
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 12:38 PM UTC
Hey Tom,
I did the same thing, started to back date a Tamiya Cromwell Mk. IV to an earlier Cromwell Mk. I or Centaur using bits an pieces from Tamiya's Centaur and Accurate Armour.
I also managed to pick up both of Aber's 6 pounders, the Mk. III and V.
Like you, my problem was finding enough references about the external and internal track tension systems and other details.
I put the build aside, hoping that I could find more info on the Net.
If you have any good sites that I should look at, I'd appreciate the help.
Cheers

jjumbo
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 - 01:53 PM UTC
Hi Tom

I would go with the external track adjuster, as the Centaurs in the Osprey book seem to have the adjusting tool (the thing that looks like an outsize hockey stick) mounted on the RHS of the hull to the rear of the turret. The extracts from the Cromwell Mark 1 manual published by HMSO years ago also describe the external adjusters, which led me to believe that internal adjustment was a later development (I stand to be corrected of course).

The dial site cover is the box that fits over the periscope on the turret roof in front of the commander's cupola. Ordinary CS (and obviously gun tanks too) don't seem to have had it fitted.

SCC2 brown probably.

David

EDIT: BTW thanks for the reminder to look for a 6pdr barrel, I've decided to go for the Armorscale one
 _GOTOTOP