_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Char B Camo Question, Painted or Sprayed?
SGT_Fubar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 168 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 07:56 PM UTC
Can anyone tell me if the Char B camo patterns were painted by hand or sprayed in real life and if there are any photos or sites I could check out? Thanks for the help.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 08:13 PM UTC
Both may be the answer. Roy Chow spotted that the dark demarcation lines on the hulls of tanks in the Renault scheme seem sprayed while the demarcation lines on the turret seem brushed (or at least hardedged). Gets even more complicated as Renault scheme turrets end up on tanks assembled by other contractors.

Later schemes like the grey-green/umber ones used by 37BCC seem very likely to be sprayed.

For any individual Char B1bis take a look at the alphabetic list on Chars francais, and work from there.

FWIW the only film I've seen showing the painting of French tanks was a short clip of the demarcation lines being painted on the turret of an R-35. The painter used a large industrial spraygun and just laid the lines freehand in one go.

David
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 15, 2007 - 08:18 PM UTC
Jeff,

David's right, you're going to have to check the specific vehicle you're looking to model to see how its scheme was laid out and work from the photos available. Here's the Char Francais site link for the Char B1 bis listings, http://www.chars-francais.net/listing_b1_bis.htm
SGT_Fubar
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 168 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Monday, March 19, 2007 - 06:06 PM UTC
Thanks guys that helps out a lot.
 _GOTOTOP