_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Good resources for a beginner?
geofroley
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 01:17 AM UTC
I'm looking to start building and painting tanks, but I'm not sure as to where to start. Any good books worth buying or on-line articles worht reading? Haven't found anything yet in the features section, but I'll keep looking. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 01:25 AM UTC
try going to the armorama forums,and look back at all the old forums there is lots of info covered in these postings,also fineacale modeler has a forum which you can research old topics.
Ironmike
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 287 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 01:25 AM UTC
Once you get into this, it is addicting.
I'd check out the many fine AFV magazines for an inexpensive way to get to know the ins and outs of this hobby.
Model Military International is a good one
Military Minatures in Review is one of the best.
Fine Scale Modeler is a decent mag.
Armor Models is another affordable mag.
Most of these are found on Great Models magazine section.
The last title is one of my favorites as it shows the small details on weathering,painting, figures for the average guy.
MMIR is a hoot to read and study. You can check Squadron for titles also.
There are a number of Osprey titles that are related to the AFV hobby that are indepth and fun to read. There are a large number of books out on this and figure collectors also.
Good luck and enjoy as it is a most relaxing and challenging hobby. Been doing it since around 1962 or so.
Ironmike
geofroley
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 01:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Once you get into this, it is addicting.
I'd check out the many fine AFV magazines for an inexpensive way to get to know the ins and outs of this hobby.
Model Military International is a good one
Military Minatures in Review is one of the best.
Fine Scale Modeler is a decent mag.
Armor Models is another affordable mag.
Most of these are found on Great Models magazine section.
The last title is one of my favorites as it shows the small details on weathering,painting, figures for the average guy.
MMIR is a hoot to read and study. You can check Squadron for titles also.
There are a number of Osprey titles that are related to the AFV hobby that are indepth and fun to read. There are a large number of books out on this and figure collectors also.
Good luck and enjoy as it is a most relaxing and challenging hobby. Been doing it since around 1962 or so.
Ironmike

Cool, I'll see if any local hobby shops or book stores have those magazines in stock. I saw an Osprey book online that looked pretty decent, so I think I might give that a whirl as well. Thanks for the advice!
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 03:08 AM UTC
A good basic book for you that I often recommend is Kalmbach Publishing's "How to Build Realistic Tanks and Artillery" Good explanations and lots of pictures & diagrams.

HTH
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 367 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 04:58 AM UTC
This site is basically the ultimate resource. With so many tutorials, tips, and everything else posted, you cant avoid picking up new knowledge by simply browsing. And with so many members, there is a good chance someone can answer any question you cant find an answer to.

Another suggestion from me, because its something I do quite often, strike up a conversation with the staff or preferably owner of your local hobby shop. The owner of my LHS is a very nice guy, and sometimes you can learn from eachother. He knows me, and when I walk in tells me things that may interest me like what is new in stock, what events are coming up, when a new painting tutorial is available etc. For him, because he doesnt have time to go through all the new relases in all the hobbies he caters to, I can help keep him updated with news on armour.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 05:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm looking to start building and painting tanks, but I'm not sure as to where to start. Any good books worth buying or on-line articles worht reading? Haven't found anything yet in the features section, but I'll keep looking. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Sheperd Paine's books on armor models and dioramas are superb introductions to the hobby. He basically tutored an entire generation of model builders. Published by Kalmbach, the Fine Scale Modeler Magazine people.
geofroley
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 05:32 AM UTC
Ahh yes, I have Sheperd's "How to Build Dioramas" book, it's top-notch. I think I'll pick up his book instead.
DeskJockey
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,558 posts
Armorama: 1,159 posts
Posted: Monday, March 26, 2007 - 05:54 AM UTC
"Modeling Tanks and Military Vehicles," by Sheperd Paine, is an excellent (if old) book. Here is a link to an eBay auction for a copy of it, or you can get it at Amazon.

It's a good place to start, and it covers everything from initial building tips up to and including conversions of kits. I first got it as a kid in the 80s and I bought it again when I got back in the hobby.

_GOTOTOP