_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Stowage on Sherman Firefies
hofpig
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,330 posts
Armorama: 1,017 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 07:10 PM UTC
Has anyone out there any pictures of stowage on british firefly Vc's?

Could somebody please send me some as I am unsure where to go with my kit in this department.

Cheers in advance guys!

wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 - 09:26 PM UTC
An excellent resource on British vehicles is the Imperial War Museum online photo database. Here's the link: http://www.iwmcollections.org.uk/qryPhotoImg.asp I'm sure you'll be able to find plenty of photos there of Firefly's in various units and theaters. Type in Firefly and choose Word War II as your timeframe and you'll get all kinds of photos on Fireflys.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 01, 2007 - 12:51 PM UTC
You might want to start by looking in collections 4700-29 and 4700-30 first to avoid seeing FAA winged things

David
Greg
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 455 posts
Armorama: 298 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2007 - 10:43 PM UTC
Paul, you have lots of options. The standard fit for the Sherman V including Fireflies was the large, weirdly-angled box fitted to the rear plate. This is very commonly seen, and occasionally it was mounted using only the top two mounts and stood well above the engine deck. Presumably this was done to clear the deep wading trunk. Similarly, it could be mounted on the front trans housing for that reason. There was also another smaller rectangular box manufactured for CW Shermans that attached to the rear of the turret. This too was seen on all types of Fireflies strapped to the rear of the radio box.

Other oddities include a Firefly Ic seen with the large Vc rear box attached to the radio box; various ammunition bins on the sides or top of the radio box, and ammo bins on the front fenders. Also, units in Italy sometimes attached the Crusader-style stowage box on the rear or top of the radio box. All of these things can be seen in Haward's Firefly book if you can lay your hands on it. HTH,

Greg
KEVINT
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 191 posts
Armorama: 176 posts
Posted: Monday, April 02, 2007 - 11:25 PM UTC
Hello Paul,

I have a stowage sketch of a Sherman V in an OP role dated 5-9-44. It shows locations of turret and hull stowage bins as described in the above posts.
If you think it is of any use, PM me with your email address and I will forward it on.

Cheers
Kevin
 _GOTOTOP