_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
1/16 Machine Gunner
Favorisio
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 05:25 AM UTC
Here is my first attempt at a 1/16th scale figure. It is Tamiya WWII German Machine Gunner (Greatcoat).

He was pretty straightforward to build, just a small amount of filler needed on some joins and some seam tidying up. This is my first attempt at using oils for the face, and I am fairly pleased with the results. I have weathered the figure, but not "dirtied" him up. I intend to put him on a small base, probably a cobblestone street, so he does not need to be too dirty.

I would appreciate any comments, and particularly any tips or ideas of ways to improve my techniques (I think you call it "constructive criticism #:-) )

Roger
Thor
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 190 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 05:41 AM UTC
One word: Wow ! Amazing.............ok, so thats two words.

Could you tell me how you painted the coat and helmet? It seems youve mixed some different colors. Did you drybrushed them after a base coat or something?
Would appriciate it, since im working on a 1/16 figure too.

Dolf
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 06:08 AM UTC
Roger:

This must be the fig you were talking about in the chat room the other night. Very well done! The gear and strap work across the back are impressive.

The only nits I would have are the overall "sheen" the figures appears to have, and the gloves. I know all my gloves that have spent any amount of time outside don't look that clean, they're dirty. But these are picky nits.

This is very, very nice work Roger, and congrats on a job well done.

Steve aka WeWillHold
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
Armorama: 630 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 06:11 AM UTC
:-) Roger, Wow. For a first figure this is outstanding, and for a first attempt at painting a face with oils, well what you going to be like with a few figures under your belt. The belts, the belt gear, wooden handles, the MG 34, great coat, boots and helmet all look good.
2 thoughts, did the MG 34 have wooden pistol grip and butt? And may be shading of the belts. I'm sure the figure guys can expand on this. :-)
Definately a very good first large figure, but what no pictures of the underside
Mal
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 06:55 AM UTC
Roger

Congratulations dude. You have talked a couple of times about this figure and I was very curious about the results and what I see here is really outstanding. Great job on the soldier he looks very natural. I like the face your experiment with oils came out very good.

Great job a figure to be proud of

Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 652 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 08:43 AM UTC
Nice one mate. I do like the whole scale effect of this one. Unfortunately I caanot give tips on figs as I am new to them too, but I would say that the wood (on the entrenching tool) could be toned down a little.
A wash of raw sienna or gold ochre would do it nicely.
gr8voyager
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 08:48 AM UTC
Roger, it looks very nice. I, too, like the color blend on the great coat.

I had a question in general, as you paint larger figures (going from 1:35 to 1:16) are you supposed to do more or less exaggerating of the shadows and highlights?

GR8Voyager
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 09:13 AM UTC
Excellent job Favorisio. I am almost finished this figure as well. I will add photos in the next day or so. You´ve made a good job in the joints of the great coat. None of them are visible in photos anyway! It was my first large scale figure also. I found the face easier than in 1/35 but the coat and shadows took abit more work. My usual method was basecoat, wash and drybrush, but that doesnt work on large scale. I had to attempt shadows and highlights for the first time, but Im quite happy on how it is turning out. The belts on his back look really well done. I think I will be attempting more of these!
Favorisio
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 10:03 AM UTC
Thanks guys, I appreciate the time you take to comment. It seems I have not quite finished this figure yet......

Quoted Text

Could you tell me how you painted the coat and helmet? It seems youve mixed some different colors. Did you drybrushed them after a base coat or something?

Dolf: They were Humbrol enamel 111, darkened slightly with black for the shadows, and lightened slightly for highlights. Drybrushed with increasingly lighter shades (lightened using white) and lighter drybrushing each time. A little "earth" added at the end, but not very much.

Quoted Text

The only nits I would have are the overall "sheen" the figures appears to have, and the gloves. I know all my gloves that have spent any amount of time outside don't look that clean, they're dirty. But these are picky nits.

Steve: The sheen is partly camera/flash effect, and partly a little over-handling of the body of the figure. The gloves.... mmmmm. I forgot the gloves Thanks for pointing it out.

Quoted Text

2 thoughts, did the MG 34 have wooden pistol grip and butt? And may be shading of the belts. I'm sure the figure guys can expand on this.
Definately a very good first large figure, but what no pictures of the underside

Mal: The MG 42 (that's what it says on the box) is marked in the instructions as to be painted matt black. I did that with a little grey drybrushing. I did drybrush the belts, but maybe not enough compared to the rest. You don't really want to see him from beneath do you? You might get a surprise #:-)

Quoted Text

I like the face your experiment with oils came out very good

Robert: Thanks mate, I was overall quite happy, thanks to all the help I got form you guys :-)

Quoted Text

I would say that the wood (on the entrenching tool) could be toned down a little.

Martin: Yep, your're right, again it was drybrushed a bit, but it was not washed, that will make a big difference and I will go back and do that. Thanks.

Quoted Text

as you paint larger figures (going from 1:35 to 1:16) are you supposed to do more or less exaggerating of the shadows and highlights?

gr8voyager: mmmmmm, I'm the wrong one to ask really. I have only done 3 1/35 figures and this one at 1/16, so I have not got much experience. However, I found in 1/16 I had to work harder at the shading/drybrushing, there is more scope for several different shades, especially within the large folds of the greatcoat.

Quoted Text

You´ve made a good job in the joints of the great coat. None of them are visible in photos anyway! It was my first large scale figure also. I found the face easier than in 1/35 but the coat and shadows took abit more work.

Plasticbattle: Thanks, I did have to fill and sand the joins in the coat, but they came out OK. I agree, the face was easier and the coat harder than in 1/35. Win some lose some :-)

Thanks again one and all for the encouragement.
Roger
octupus
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 411 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 04:02 PM UTC
Roger,

What a nice painting job you have done on the figure. I have got that one but still dun have time to build it.

Steve, Sushi and Pig #6
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 04:23 PM UTC
Mighty nice looking figure. Dad. I hope I can do one as well as this!!!!
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 485 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 10:01 PM UTC
Very nice Roger.....love the way the coat turned out.......just a couple of colour things.......the belt should be black.....only the German airforce had brown belts....and the strap that holds the gas mask cannister....should be more the colour of the bread bag. The eppaulette looks like it's black......only the SS had black......early war for the army this would have been dark green.....but by this date it would have been the same colour as the coat with white piping for infantry.
MG42s had both......wooden and black bakelite plastic butts....so your choice is good here but the ammo can should be painted......either a dark field gray or a sand yellow.
The handle of the bayonette should be a dark wood and the little upside down tear shaped piece that held the bayonette sheath in the leather frog...should be brass.
Other than these little colour things....you've done a fantastic job on this....keep it up!!!!
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 10:04 PM UTC
nice work.congrats
RichSharpe
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 112 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 05:53 AM UTC
Excellent work Favor! It looks great. I especially like the weathering of the coat and cloth. I think it's time to apply some of those skills on some more 1/35 figures in a diorama now
 _GOTOTOP