_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Cleaning future out of airbrush???
hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 426 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 07:21 AM UTC
What should I use to clean the airbrush after I spray with Future??? friend told me to use ammonia, but I don't want to "gas" myself in the process..
Thanks,
Harry #:-)
JPeiper
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 07:30 AM UTC
Soap and water should do it. That is what I do, anyway.

Be sure to do it immediately following the Future. You don't want this stuffto clog your AB.

Keith
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 08:50 AM UTC
Once the stuff got the time to harden... you're in trouble if you don't want to use smelly substances. The cure may be as bad as ammonia. I never tried it, but nail polish remover may do the trick. I suggest you poor some in a closeable jar (empty cleaned tamya paint jar), put some NPR in, and let the nozzle soak for a day or two.
ladymodelbuilder
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
Armorama: 401 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:21 AM UTC
Windex or similar glass cleaners will clean the future out of your brushes and airbrush.
hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:27 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies.. I haven't used it yet, but I didn't want to either till I knew how to get it out of my airbrush..
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
Armorama: 630 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 10:31 AM UTC
:-) Hi Harry,
I simply use water from the tap, immediately after spraying. I clean cured future off clear plastic parts with Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol?) so if you have let future cure in your AB, which is definately not good, try soking in Isopropyl Hic for a few hours? then blasting a couple of jars worth through your AB. HTH.
Mal
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 2,606 posts
Armorama: 1,721 posts
Posted: Monday, March 10, 2003 - 07:58 PM UTC
On the bottle it's written that you have to use ammonia in order to achieve the best results in removing Future. I know that ammonia smells but when i need it i just take apart the parts to be cleaned and put them in an old jar filled with ammonia an I close it. After a few minutes I'm ready to take out the parts for an extra wash with warm water and soap. If you open and close the jar out of the window and do not breath for a few seconds the smell issue is gone. I've tried alternative methods but none worked 100% of the times like ammonia.
hworth18
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
Posted: Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 05:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

:-) Hi Harry,
I simply use water from the tap, immediately after spraying. I clean cured future off clear plastic parts with Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol?) so if you have let future cure in your AB, which is definately not good, try soking in Isopropyl Hic for a few hours? then blasting a couple of jars worth through your AB. HTH.
Mal

Thanks Mal,
I did that last night and everything cleaned up just fine.. #:-)
 _GOTOTOP