Hosted by Darren Baker
beer cans on tracks
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2007 - 09:50 PM UTC
This question is more aimed at the vets as they were there and really would know. So Animal and Guntrucks heads up. Beer on tracks. Did you guys ever carry beer around with you on your track. I know "officially" this was verbotten, but I know I caught my guys on more than one occasin in middle 70's Germany doing this., or trying too. I know with the current situation and the non-drinking Arab populace this is much more unlikely today, but if someone who has been there tells me different, be curious what brands..oh the same in Nam...brand type and cn or bottle colors would be nice to know.
LeoCmdr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 4,085 posts
Armorama: 3,917 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 04:40 AM UTC
Up until the early 1990's having alcohol on board was completely acceptable in Canadian tanks in both Germany and Canada while on exercise. Crews would commonly have beer, Bailey's, ration rum, or whatever they wanted to drink in their vehicles.

You could even buy beer right out of the Sergeant Major's vehicle during resupplies.

Deployments to the Balkans were either dry or a two beer per man a day limit.
jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 05:06 AM UTC
I dont know about now, but when I was serving, the Chieftans Bag Charge bins, were just right for loading with Tennants Long Life Lager and best of all they got nice and cold. Just the thing after a dusty day.

John
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 04:18 PM UTC
Jason,
So, the Canadain Forces do not consume beer while in the field anymore??? That is one of my best memories from RV 89, when the Recce Sqdn SGM came driving up and beer started to flow... We were not supposed to be drinking but when in Canada... It was pretty funny watching my counterpart, the 2d Troop leader get wrestled down by several of his track commanders. Ahh, memories of Wainwright.
John
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 04:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jason,
So, the Canadain Forces do not consume beer while in the field anymore??? That is one of my best memories from RV 89, when the Recce Sqdn SGM came driving up and beer started to flow... We were not supposed to be drinking but when in Canada... It was pretty funny watching my counterpart, the 2d Troop leader get wrestled down by several of his track commanders. Ahh, memories of Wainwright.
John

I told you not to drink while on RV 89. That aside, we were supplied 3.2 beer while in Vietnam. I was with a rifle platoon and we received a supply drop every third day. The guys paid the supply sergeant to send them soda and beer. It arrived with the resupply bird. I recall it was three cans of beer and three sodas per man. If you liked drinking warm to hot beer I suppose it was okay. I stuck to soda. The guys in the 11th ACR carried coolers and I assume they were never without more enjoyable liquid refreshments.
DJ
Charlie-66
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 771 posts
Armorama: 750 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 06:06 PM UTC
I never saw any beer on our vehicles during my time in US Army Europe. On one trip to Graffenwoer we shared a motor pool with a British artillery unit. As they rolled out to the range they were unloading these large blue cans of Foster's to us. As I recall they couldn't take them onto the firing range.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 06:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I dont know about now, but when I was serving, the Chieftans Bag Charge bins, were just right for loading with Tennants Long Life Lager and best of all they got nice and cold. Just the thing after a dusty day.

John

Unfortunately Chally 2 charge bins are a different design now so no finding beer in them when you're prepping for ranges anymore. I know the odd bottle and crate still get taken out but beer from the "Q" bloke is usually only on stand down/maintenance days. On OP's its a different matter, we were dry on TELIC 2 but our sister squadron in Al Amarah wasn't.
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 07:26 PM UTC
I knew that I was taking a chance by mentioning some illicit beer drinking during RV89... Drat, caught by the man himself. Serves me right for posting something on the same site the former TF Commander regularly visits. I guess I will get a "Atlas" rating on the next OER.

DJ,
I seem to remember that it was "OK" to consume if the Canadians invited us to tip a beer with them. Something about not wanting to offend our hosts during those not so PC days of the late 1980's.

Ahh, that was one fun exercise...

John
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 07:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I knew that I was taking a chance by mentioning some illicit beer drinking during RV89... Drat, caught by the man himself. Serves me right for posting something on the same site the former TF Commander regularly visits. I guess I will get a "Atlas" rating on the next OER.

DJ,
I seem to remember that it was "OK" to consume if the Canadians invited us to tip a beer with them. Something about not wanting to offend our hosts during those not so PC days of the late 1980's.

Ahh, that was one fun exercise...

John

John-- recalling the amount of booze you and the boys from Delta Troop could/did consume, I am sure our host were anything but offended.
DJ
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 10:17 PM UTC
DJ:

So, if I understand this correctly, beer was actually allowed on the tracks during Viet Nam. I have heard of the famous "33" beer. What were the can colors seems to my recall they were white with red lettering?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2007 - 11:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ:

So, if I understand this correctly, beer was actually allowed on the tracks during Viet Nam. I have heard of the famous "33" beer. What were the can colors seems to my recall they were white with red lettering?

Steve-- I served with the 101st Airborne and 1st Cavalry Division during my tours in Vietnam. These were pure infantry outfits. We had beer in the field as I said earlier. The 3.2 beer was supposedly less potent than regular so we "little boys" could drink it. Now, as I recall, it was made by most of the beer firms. I use to drink Schlitz beer and it was a white can with yellow letters. The guys in the mech/cav units carried ice cooler and I know from speaking with friends they had plenty of cold beer everyday. As an aside, a friend told me that his cavalry troop in the 11th ACR took a fuel cell filled with water and put it on top of their M-577. It baked in the sun all day and when they pulled into a night defensive position they took hot showers. I thought the idea was great and had the guys put a water filled rubber blivit on a connex container in the maintenance area while we were in the field. The bright sun of El Paso, Texas made that water toasty by the time we pulled in each night. Anyone with a diorama can replicate either item and for a Vietnam scene, put in the beer.
DJ
PS-- as one wise contributor stated it was the kiss of death to have any beer in Germany on any vehicle for any reason....the times changed
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 - 02:43 AM UTC
Thanks fro the info DJ. I plan on adding a bit to my Nam convoy dio by haveing a few crushed cans of soda or beer laying around or some good ones set aside someplace.. It's the little things that bring to life our work.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 - 10:00 AM UTC

c6o
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 61 posts
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 - 01:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

This question is more aimed at the vets as they were there and really would know. So Animal and Guntrucks heads up. Beer on tracks. Did you guys ever carry beer around with you on your track. I know "officially" this was verbotten, but I know I caught my guys on more than one occasin in middle 70's Germany doing this., or trying too. I know with the current situation and the non-drinking Arab populace this is much more unlikely today, but if someone who has been there tells me different, be curious what brands..oh the same in Nam...brand type and cn or bottle colors would be nice to know.

jlmurc
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
Armorama: 969 posts
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 - 02:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

John

Unfortunately Chally 2 charge bins are a different design now so no finding beer in them when you're prepping for ranges anymore. I know the odd bottle and crate still get taken out but beer from the "Q" bloke is usually only on stand down/maintenance days. On OP's its a different matter, we were dry on TELIC 2 but our sister squadron in Al Amarah wasn't.

Hi Max,

No minibar, maybe we should start a petition to get them changed.

If its not too complicated, what changes have been made?

The next thing you klnow as part of cutbacks they will be removing the issue of BV's............lol

John
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 - 09:44 PM UTC
in cool / cold weather in Germany,we would store soda cans in the tubes of our smoke grenade launchers on our M60A2's.I think I could get 2 or 4 cans stacked one on top of the other in each of 8 tubes.I personally never tried putting beer in there.Also,a loaf of bread from the commissary would fit in the ammo racks under the main gun.
Going to the field every so often,we learned all the storage spaces we could use to carry extra food.
Made the C rats more bearable.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 28, 2007 - 11:59 PM UTC
We had all those machine gun ammo bins that were attached to the floor we could fill. I always had "pogey-bait" stashed in my 50 cal bins in my coupala when we were in non-firing maneuvers. We usually had a six pack or two of coke stashed around the tank....never any beer on my tank as I was the LT and lots of canned beens and chili and condiment stuff to augment our c-rats. USed to make a mean "tanker-stew".

Back on topic, I used some everygreen rod and cut out several can sized pieces. The tube was hollow, so I can also "crush it" for effect. Now just waiting on getting some decals from Jimf who generously offer his leftovers to me. Of course, we should find a way to put that sort of thing in a "pool-information" thing lke all the boxes we now have.
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 12:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

John

Hi Max,

No minibar, maybe we should start a petition to get them changed.

If its not too complicated, what changes have been made?

The next thing you klnow as part of cutbacks they will be removing the issue of BV's............lol

John

Hi John,
Well the charge bins are now armoured affairs with sliding lids. No pressurized coolant anymore...shame really as they kept the beer really cool. If it is fitted with a German Rheinmetall L55 gun which is still being trialled then the ammunition storage will drastically change. I heard one option was to go for bustle racks "a la" M1A1. Saw that wagon in Lulworth last year and it looks a little strange.
As for removing BV's there would be an outcry. My wagon was virtually VOR if the BV went down.

Max
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 05:41 PM UTC
I know my only two Annual Trainings in the National Guard in 1984 and 1985, beer was not kept on vehicles but some beer was brought out during the field training portion by the supply sergeant. Each man got one can. I passed.

This was before Fort Drum was an active post too.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 06:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I know my only two Annual Trainings in the National Guard in 1984 and 1985, beer was not kept on vehicles but some beer was brought out during the field training portion by the supply sergeant. Each man got one can. I passed.

This was before Fort Drum was an active post too.

Now, that's a commentary from a(very) Old Soldier!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 06:55 PM UTC
Yes, it will be 24 years this summer since I went to basic to be a CEV crewman and 25 years this fall when I joined ROTC and got my first set of fatigues and combat boots.

Time flies.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, April 29, 2007 - 07:47 PM UTC
Rob hang in there! It's worth every second of your life. Miss it beyond belief once they show you the door.
Continue to do well
DJ
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 09:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ:

I never saw "33" in a can. It was always sold in brown bottles from a pretty young girl for a dollar MPC. Remember you wont see a lot booze with Marine units as they had a lot of trouble getting anything stronger than beer. They Army guys would get it for them if they had away to get it. On the
back of a track you'd normally see a couple cases of cokes and a couple cases of beer. Whiskey was always kept inside, but don't think the bottle wasn't passed around! It was open all the time.
by the way you can buy 33 beer in Chicago!
gary
Urutu_
Visit this Community
Albania
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 12:52 PM UTC
Hi Steve,

In Vietnam, that is my main research period, beer on board was not so uncommon.

You easily find some boxes or bottles in pics, but the more common are these botles/boxes in the field. But, they came there some way, didn´t they ?

Beers easily find on Nam pics:

Budweiser
Carling Red Label
Farlstaff
Shlitz
Stroh´s (this is more rare)

Here goes a special selection I made for you guys. (all Vietnam war period pics). Enjoy!

trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 - 01:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Steve,

In Vietnam, that is my main research period, beer on board was not so uncommon.

You easily find some boxes or bottles in pics, but the more common are these botles/boxes in the field. But, they came there some way, didn´t they ?

Beers easily find on Nam pics:

Budweiser
Carling Red Label
Farlstaff
Shlitz
Stroh´s (this is more rare)

Here goes a special selection I made for you guys. (all Vietnam war period pics). Enjoy!

I was the guy that had the "unlimited ration card" in my company. And I could go into the PX in Chu Lai or Da Nang and buy beer by the pallet or the hard stuff too. Never paid for it, and have no idea who did pay for it, as all I did was sign my name on the dotted line. Normally I'd buy four pallets of beer and about ten cases of whiskey. Also would buy about a half dozen pallets of pop too. But in Chu Lai if you bought three pallets of beer you had to buy another of Ballentine Ale. You couldn't give it away to anybody! They wouldn't even buy it on the black market. All we did was to use it for target practice. And to add to this fiasco was the ice cream issue!
Everybody got ice cream everyday; that is if you were in the rear.
gary
 _GOTOTOP