Hosted by Darren Baker
Wheelbase and length measurements for CCKW
IANovice
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 10:11 PM UTC
I hope that this doesn't fall under the dumb question category, but...

I'm hoping some gear-head or good samarian can help me.

I'm thinking about pushing my skills a bit and taking the Tamiya CCKW 353 and choping it down to a 352 (this may not be skill pushing it for some, o.k most, but beleive me it is plenty for me). I've got the overall length and wheelbase demensions of the 352, but I am not sure where to measure from. Is wheelbase measured from center of axle to center of axle or from the outer most point on the front and rear tires? Also, is overall length measure from bumber to bumper, or from some other fixed point (like the end of the box frame)?

Thanks for any help you can throw my way

Scott

Sandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 628 posts
Armorama: 405 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 11:27 PM UTC
hi , try Olive drab .com , it has all the answers for anything American , I always give it a try first and it comes up trumps time and time again cheers ian
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 11:52 PM UTC
Hi Scott

Quoted Text

Is wheelbase measured from center of axle to center of axle

Yes (so it remains the same whatever the wheel size...)

Quoted Text

is overall length measure from bumber to bumper,

Yes

HTH
Frenchy
NormSon
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 181 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 12:01 AM UTC
Wheelbase is measured at the centerlines of the wheels/axles (generally, this is the same thing).
Regarding the overall length, this is measured at the furthest points, i.e. the front of the front bumper to the back of the tailgate or rear bumper, whichever is the absolute end of the vehicle.
You might want to consider using one of the conversions available for this, as there are some subtle differences in the frames that might be a challenge to modify. If you "chop" the frame, be sure to reinforce your splices, or you might find it cracking at a later date.
The major differences are the frame, drive shafts, cargo box, fuel tanks, exhaust, and spare tire mounts. These are all included in the conversions available.
An interesting variation was a short wheelbase truck that had splices in the frame behind the cab, so that it could be broken down to fit into a C-47!
Good luck, and have fun!
Norm
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 12:04 PM UTC
Hello again Scott

If you can read french, there was an interesting article in the long gone MPM magazine dealing with a CCKW 352 scratchbuilding project. It's based on the Italeri kit, but it should do the job as well...
Thanks to Pascal Bausset , you can find it here :

HTH
Frenchy
flakgunner
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 657 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 02:05 PM UTC
hey,

we've found this site quite helpful for CCKW info.when we where building Tamiya's CCKW using CMK's fuel tanker conversion,they answered many of our questions.

http://www.cckw.org

Joe
c6o
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 61 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 06:06 PM UTC
greetings,
check out TM9-801 covers both type of vehicles-complete TM can be downloade (PDF) format at: www.carlisle.army.mil/ahec/index.
click on MHI catalog. bottom r/corner and have fun. you will find all kinds of pubs pertaining to the military and it's free...and check out how the wheel base is measured on the two vehicles.
cheers
c6o aka bror-willy
IANovice
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 08:00 PM UTC
Thank you all for your replies and insight!

I have been to both the Olive Drab site and the CCKW site before. excellent resource material on both

I've never seen the Carlisle site, but will be sure to check it out.

Frenchy, Merci!! je parle francais un petit peu. le journal appert utile. Honestly, my reading is better than my writing, so I think I can make it work for me. Merci.

I' m going to assume from the comments that the consensus is the length overall is bumber to bumber. Since I have a measurement for a CCKW 352 (no winch), I will assume that this gives me the appropriate length.

I also appreciate the info on the kits/conversions. I've managed to lay my hands on a CCKW maintenance manual from WW II so I think I can use it to lay out the appropriate drive train modifications when I chop. If not, the truck goes in the diorama with the tall grass!!!

thanks again!
TUGA
Visit this Community
Setubal, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,718 posts
Armorama: 1,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 02:39 AM UTC
Hi,

Military Modelling Magazine also had an article how yo convert the ITALERI CCKW 353 into a CCKW 352 at the 1981 Manual.

You have to cut the frame 14 mm at the spare road level and also the shafts and the exhaust pipe. The transverse bearer (part no. 7) and the bracket for the spare wheel are not needed.

I've that article so if you need more info I can check it.

HTH
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 08:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I' m going to assume from the comments that the consensus is the length overall is bumber to bumber.

No, no no.

On a three-axle vehicle like the CCKW, the wheel base is measured from the center of the front axle to the center between the rear axles.

The CCKW 353 has a wheelbase of 164 inches, the 352 wheelbase is 145 inches. That's a difference of 19 inches. Scale it down and cut that much from the frame behind the cab. Don't forget that you also have to cut the driveshaft and modify the exhaust pipe. After that , it's all scratch or conversion kit. Note that you cannot just lop off 19 inches from the bed. It doesn't work that way.

I did this one from the Tamiya kit a few years ago.

BTW, it is interesting to note that the overall length of a CCKW 352 with winch and a CCKW without winch is the same.
IANovice
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 08:54 AM UTC
I'm confused to say the least. With respect to wheelbase, the automotive sites i've looked at all say it's axle to axle. HOWEVER, in fairness they don't reference single or double rear axles. I don't quite understand the center point reference between the two rear axles.

I just laid my hands on a maintenance manual for the CCKW so (hopefully) that will give me some insight as well.

As far as the choping of the length overall. I do realize that you can't simply chop the bed (much to may sadness). Frenchy was kind enough to include a link to an article that shows a conversion and even lays out cutting points on the frame and the area to reduce on the longer bed (thanks again Frency).
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 10:07 AM UTC
You're welcome Scott ! You will find a drawing from a Diamond T commercial brochure showing how the wheelbase is measured for a 3-axle truck (something I didn't take into account in my first post )HERE
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 10:29 AM UTC
How or why the wheelbase of a three-axle vehicle is measured the way it is doesn't matter. The difference is 19 scale inches -- in the wheelbase and everything else.

Have fun!
IANovice
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 12:07 AM UTC
Besides my kit, I've got my scale rule, Xuron cutting tool, and a glass of single malt all ready to go. I've just got to get my nerves up to do the surgery (probably this fall).

Thanks again for all the help!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 04:58 PM UTC

IANovice
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 08:31 PM UTC
Dave,
Awsome pic! Thanks so much. I'm getting a copy of the technical manual on disc, so I will have to check out the page reference.

Thanks again!!
 _GOTOTOP