_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
FEATURE
A dash for cover
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 10:28 PM UTC
Barry Gazso shares with us his experiance of building a frozen moment in time in this dynamic diorama, many thanks barry.

A dash for cover

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Shturmovik
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 77 posts
Armorama: 55 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 - 11:34 PM UTC
At first I looked at this piece and said, this is the ugliest tree I've ever seen in my life. But then enlightenment receded upon me. Now that I know what's going on I aplaud the idea as well as the execution. Great piece!!!
rdickson
Visit this Community
Stredocesky Kraj, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 19 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 - 12:31 AM UTC
Some modellers are able craftsmen, but looking at this - wow! - you are artist! The composition, it´s telling a story, no need to explain! rd
Hussar88
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 - 12:33 AM UTC
Absolutely fantastic, Barry!!! What a great idea and very well executed. Maybe more of us should "break the rules." Well done. it's an inspiration for me.
Lou
cuales
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 54 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 - 01:18 AM UTC
I don't want to bash your dio or anything, but sincerly the first thought I had was: "now that's a weird looking tree!".

great idea, and thanks for adding some variety, but this is a difficult subject to model.
guygantic
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 7,084 posts
Armorama: 970 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 - 04:01 AM UTC
What an idea to make an exploding bomb, this is something new and as the other modellers said : well executed ! Not an easy job that's for sure !
Congrats from Guy(gantic).
dbudd
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 229 posts
Armorama: 205 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 - 08:18 AM UTC
I applaud your trying something new. It really conveys the sense of terror with the explosion towering over the running soldiers. Keep up the good work!
novembersong
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
Armorama: 236 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 - 09:49 AM UTC
Dont be so hard on yourself man, that was fantastic!
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 - 02:58 PM UTC
Cool idea and very well done. New idea are always welcome !

Cheers
Claude
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 - 04:57 PM UTC
Very emotional - mission accomplished! No need for any backstory here. One view - one story. Well done.

I actually really appreciate the section on 'breaking the rules'. Rules for projects in modeling are more like guidelines and as you expertly state and show - they can successfully be broken and still have a great piece come out.

I love the continuity of the ground under the grass line as it continues through the explosion.

Well done.
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Armorama: 777 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 - 06:13 PM UTC
Very good, the diorama world needs more people like you
Golikell
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 914 posts
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 - 06:37 PM UTC
I also admit that at first I thought that was the most ugly tree ever conveyed!
After reading your story though, I can onlyadmire your courage to create such a out of the way subject!
I have one comment though: the crater of the previous explosion looks too clean to me: no scorched grass or strewn soil around it! Maybe you can add this to a further splendid dio.
CReading
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,726 posts
Armorama: 892 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 12:15 AM UTC
Another really nice one Barry. You are truly a 'cutting edge' thinker when it comes to dios and vignettes. Kudos

Cheers,
Charles
bgazso
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 06:16 PM UTC
Hi guys,

Well, this kind of thing is pretty difficult to tackle for obvious reasons, but I thought I'd give it a shot. I sctually had some advice on the shell hole from a guy who looks at them for a living (!) and decided to take his advice on how to show the darn thing, but maybe should have taken some license on that?

Appreciate the supprt.
Barry
jafo
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 90 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 11:07 PM UTC
wow. quite inspiring!
Johnston_RCR
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 367 posts
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 - 03:50 AM UTC
Amazing! Actually, kind of good timing too. I was just wondering to myself how you would pull something like this off convincingly. There was a thread on Naval shell splases fairly recently, and I was wondering if it could be done for an artillery explosion. Thanks for proving it can work, and telling us how you did it.
Floyd
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 11:56 PM UTC
Hi Barry! I liked your diorama...it is very vell looked,anything superfluous on it is not present!
rotATOR
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 223 posts
Armorama: 167 posts
Posted: Friday, May 18, 2007 - 02:27 AM UTC
I dont want to be rude,Barry--I love your stuff...buut I think that the explosion could have been improved by adding some clumps of grass,especially at the base and some up higher in the blast. There could have been "cracks" in the sod radiating outward from the blast itself. The previous crater needs some remnants of the explosion that created it,like clumps of dirt and sod,rocks,etc. To me,its too "clean". Maybe the guys could have had some dirt on their shoulders,etc. Like I said I dont want to be rude and you have way more talent then I do, but I am being honest.
bgazso
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 07:18 PM UTC
Hi Mike,

Nothing rude about your comments. When trying something like this, which is attempting to freeze a very ephemeral moment, it's not hard to miss the mark. I knew that going in, and figured there would be one of two reactions - "huh?", or "oh, I get it". I asked questions about stuff like dirt being thrown, and what a fresh shell crater would look like and so forth, and tried to incorporate what prople who knew a lot more about it told me, but in the end, even if it's "correct", if it doesn't look right, well....

Hey, it's just modeling, right? I'll just move on to the next idea, play my horn some, finish the book I'm reading, work on the yard, wax my car, etc.

Regards,
Barry
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 20, 2007 - 10:52 PM UTC
Barry,

Outstanding! I can almost feel the concussion! Well done!
4x4RockCrawler
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Armorama: 26 posts
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2007 - 08:09 AM UTC
Fantastic! I have had the same idea but neer knew how to execute it. You did what I was never able to figure out how to do. Great job
Geezer34
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 29 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 - 04:13 AM UTC
Barry,
Your "Dash for Cover" is very impresive. Trying to show an explosion - a very transitory event - in a frozen form was not easy. My observations of explosions has been that they are a good deal more "explosive."
By that I mean there is dirt and smoke moving very rapidly away from the core. This leaves gaps where the dirt/smoke is almost transparent. If I were to try to do one, I think perhaps using cotton on some sort of armature for holding the shape, then airbrushed and maybe some dirt or other debris added would reduce the problem of looking like some sort of tree (which was my first impression also).
Congratulations for trying something out of the ordinary!

Geezer34
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 12:25 PM UTC
Nice Job, I like the thinking behind this project and the bomb blast is super.
 _GOTOTOP