_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Early Armor
WWI and other early tanks and armored cars.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Patton Tank Recommendations
NJLion
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 07:33 AM UTC
Is the Tamiya Patton tank a good model? If not, could you guys recommend another. I'm not looking to spend more than about $30 on a model though. Let me know.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 08:43 AM UTC
Yes, it is a good kit. Out of the box, it will build up into a nice model. It has some inaccuracies though, they are pretty easy to fix. The biggest is the height of the suspension. It is about 3mm too high. Tamiya based theirs on an M48 without an interior or engine, hence it was light and rode high on the suspension. The turret is too squat as well. Add about 2 mm of spacer between the two turret halves to correct it. Lastly, you should fill the area between the gun mantlet and the turret. It is actually a cloth dust cover and should not have a gap.

Good luck.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 08:45 AM UTC
If you're willing to go to the earlier M47, grab up one of the excellent Italeri 1/35 kits. Although several decades old, it's still an absolutely fantastic kit.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 09:05 AM UTC
M46's and the M 60 series are also Patton tanks. I have several ESCI and Tamiya M 60a1's under my belt. And I have built the range from Dragon thru el-cheapo . The Patton 48 by Tamiya like GIno says has a few flaws, but even straight out of the box builds into a nice kit.
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 12:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

M46's and the M 60 series are also Patton tanks

They are not M48's. He asked about the Tamiya kit, that's a M48A3.

How did you both guess M48 and not M60, I'm curious?
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 12:03 PM UTC
For the M60 series I think the old ESCI kits, also reboxed by AMT/ERTL, Italeri and Revell are the best overall.

Cheers,

Christophe
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 06:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How did you both guess M48 and not M60, I'm curious?

Quoted Text

As far as I know, the M48A3 is the only one Tamiya labels as a Patton.

Ditto.
markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 1,148 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 08:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, it is a good kit. Out of the box, it will build up into a nice model. It has some inaccuracies though, they are pretty easy to fix. The biggest is the height of the suspension. It is about 3mm too high. Tamiya based theirs on an M48 without an interior or engine, hence it was light and rode high on the suspension. The turret is too squat as well. Add about 2 mm of spacer between the two turret halves to correct it. Lastly, you should fill the area between the gun mantlet and the turret. It is actually a cloth dust cover and should not have a gap.

Good luck.

Thanks Gino, darned if I didn't just buy this one yesterday at my LHS for 15 bucks. I noted that it is meant to be motorized. Does that bring up any specific issues or can you just build around it?

Edit: What is the easiest fix for the suspension problem?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 10:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Gino, darned if I didn't just buy this one yesterday at my LHS for 15 bucks. I noted that it is meant to be motorized. Does that bring up any specific issues or can you just build around it?

Edit: What is the easiest fix for the suspension problem?

Just fill the motorization holes on the bottom and the slot above the final drives at the rear.

For the suspension, all you need to do is cut the tabs off the arms that go into the hull. Move them all up about 3mm and glue them in place. Set it on blocks so the arms just touch the desk and let them set. You will also have to shorten the track slightly to compensate.
markm
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2007 - 10:24 PM UTC
Thank you sir
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 06:17 AM UTC
Mark,
There is a bit more to it than just snipping the tabs on the roadwheel arms like Gino said. The M48 had had bumper springs above each road wheel arm. To keep them in th ecorrect position on th ehull, you need to clip them off of the roadwheel arm, then clip off the rod that is at the bease of the spring (the concentric circular part), glue the mounts on to the hull and now follow Gino's instructions. I woul drtecommend AFV Club echeloned (T-97) M48/M60 track as the kit track is molded with the centerguide in the wrong position.
John
markm
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 - 08:20 AM UTC
Many thanks gentlemen.
 _GOTOTOP