_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: AA/AT/Artillery
For discussions about artillery and anti-aircraft or anti-tank guns.
Hosted by Darren Baker
German Flak 38 2cm AA gun
long_tom
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,362 posts
Armorama: 2,005 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 10:41 AM UTC
I have bought Dragon's new kit, based on the praise in the review page, but I was wondering about the gun itself. I chekced on Wikipedia as well, and got the impression the gun was never very impressive, even if it was common. How good was the actual gun, and how was it actually used? I was thinking how it would have worked on either the Eastern front or in Africa. Thank you.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 11:29 AM UTC
All depends really...it was a light Flak gun, high rate of fire, effective against ground targets as well as low flying aircraft...relatively light weight and mounted on a wide variety of vehicles and platforms. Served all the way through to the end of the war. By itself it couldn't put up enough fire to fend off an air attack but grouped in batteries and deployed effectively, it could do the mission it was designed for.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2007 - 11:52 AM UTC
"How good was it?" I guess I'd ask relative to what? The Panzerwaffe needed a light Flak gun and the Flak 30 and 38 were made in abundance. Their doctrine asked for something light.

Funny thing is that the US .50cal Browning HB was almost the equivalent to the 2cm Flak. And you know they were mounted on everything!

The Germans admired it and its availability. They were terrified of the .50 because any hits would mean loss of limb,decapitation or internal organ ruptures (i.e. death) depending on where the shot hit.
 _GOTOTOP