_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
auto primer
bcm235
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 05:47 PM UTC
After reading a thread about primers a while back, I decided to give auto primers a try. I'm using the Dupli-Color brand (gray primer) purchased from Kragen. The stuff works great, except for the stink, which I was forewarned.

The problem is that I seem to be using about two to three cans per each 1/35 kit. I used it on a Tamiya Merkava and Abrams so far. Each can costs $5, so it's not cheap. I give the model a quick, light spray. Most of the paint is wasted on the pizza box that I place the kit on or is blown away from the model by the wind.

Is there a method of applying the spray while minimizing "wastage" and at the same time not allowing a paint buildup on the kit?

CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:42 PM UTC
Some car modelers spray canned spray paint into a spray bottle and then use an airbrush. It was explained to me that they do not like the propellent used as it can change the chemical composition and curing of the paint. That will probably work on primer and might also eliminate some of the oder. I dont know for sure though as I have never tried it.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2007 - 01:39 AM UTC
I use PlastiCote grey auto primer. One can lasts me several projects. Maybe you're spraying too far away? My nozzle is about 8-10 inches from the model surface. GL
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2007 - 04:54 AM UTC
Spraying outdoors in the wind is a surefire way to p*ss away a lot of paint. If you have a garage or shed, spray in there with the doors open. If you must spray outside, try to spray in the lee of a building or when it is very calm. It is amazing how much paint drifts away on even a very light breeze.

You could make up a temporary spray booth from a large cardboad box to provide the shielding from the wind yo need. Cover the top with plastic sheet and open up a large hole in the side to access teh model and to spay and you will lessen the effects of the wind a lot.

HTH

Paul
ws48
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2007 - 05:02 AM UTC
I use Duplicolor gray primer in the quart can. I reduce it 2 parts primer to 1 part acetone. Works great. Can be topcoated in 10 minutes. It does have a sharp lingering odor. I think I paid $12.00 for it at Advance Auto Parts. A the current rate of use I probable have a lifetime supply.

Don
AlexanderK
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 - 05:31 PM UTC
I must sound liek a Tamiya rep now . I use Tamiya Grey surface primer (L) about 8 bucks 180ml can and works great. I can get 2 1/20 cars out of one can so Im sure I can get a 1/35 armor kit done. They make a white primer also which is flat white and is smooth as silk when applied correctly.

Alexanderk
Silverleaf
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 141 posts
Armorama: 123 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 - 04:47 AM UTC
I use Tamiya's Light Gray (Fine) primer on most of my projects. I spray in my garage on an old cardboard box. Since I have a heated garage I can also spray during the winter (it is long here in Alaska). I always were a respirator when spraying or airbrushing.

Also, remember to keep the can 8-10 inches away from the model.

My best advise is to not spray in the wind. Use a large cardboard box as a spraybooth or find a place indoors (maybe a friend's garage) that you can use.
 _GOTOTOP