_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Look at This Project - slodder
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 11:20 AM UTC
Ok here's a build thread that will cover the remaining process of my current diorama.
A bunch of inquizative soldiers snoop around and see what they can find late in the war.

Its Tamiya's AC, a mix of figures, and CD's building.
Lots to do, Kancali road, big robust base, the usual details, gutters, posters, electrical....
orange_3D
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 602 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 01:37 PM UTC
very nice!

one suggestion: turn everyone's head to look at the guy with the bottles (keep their current poses, just turn the heads)
and:
there could be a guy behind (inside the doorway) with a box of wine bottles and an even bigger grin on his face!
the guy on the bench is emptying the contents of his canteen (with the intention of filling it up with booze)
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 01:51 PM UTC
Thats a cool idea, the heads are all glued in already. My idea was that everyone of them has a little something... I think I've got a shot at working another guy inside thought - nice idea.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 05:31 PM UTC
Hey I remember that building!

Nice layout so far Scott. I like the color slection on the building too.

Jim
f1matt
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 1,021 posts
Armorama: 805 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 07:08 PM UTC
Love seeing so much colour in a diorama for a change. They can be so drab and dark sometimes. This one has some pop to it. Eye candy it is.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 09:03 PM UTC
Looks good so far Scott.
I like the colorful buildings.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2007 - 10:37 PM UTC
Thanks everyone - I really didn't want a pale palette. The door is red

Stay tuned for more. Nothing planned for the weekend
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 02:41 AM UTC
hehe Thought you were saying "Look at this project"... didn't realised the dio was titled "Look at this!"

Looks promising Scott. Have you done a conceptual drawing of what you're planning?

Although it's still early days, I'm having a disconnect with what the guy on the AC is doing.

Looking forward to more

Rudi
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 02:58 AM UTC
Nice start and set-up.
Like the roofing, is that individual tiles or a kit?
Good luck,
Bob
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 03:06 AM UTC
Rudi - yea - I saw the thread title and realized what I had typed.

The guy on the AC is reaching down to share with the guy in front. The guy in front has a helmet full of ill-gotten-booty. The AC guy has bit of 'stuff' in his hand.
Nope - no drawing either, this has changed from an original concept to this and as I went I didn't redraw.

Bob, thanks, and the roof is 99% CD resin. The only pieces that are custom are the "peak caps" on the left side. They are individual cedar shingles sanded and glued
gsmith
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 117 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 04:25 AM UTC
Very interesting idea so far Scott,
hey whats planned for the groundwork, trying to visualize it with different bases.
looks great so far can't wait to see more progress,

Gary
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Armorama: 777 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 06:16 AM UTC
Nice ideas & colours Scott -still there is something I don't understand in your building -that big cicatrice between the front and side wall looks weird!
good luck for the following steps
JB
docdios
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,998 posts
Armorama: 1,236 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 07:22 AM UTC
Its looking good Scott - i look forward to seeing the base progress, are you doing the interior to the buildings?

cheers

Keith
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 08:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey I remember that building!

I dont know how many times Ive seen this building in adverts and such .. and longingly admiring it .. but have never seen it actually built. It has never looked so good. The roof shingles and mixture of brick type really make for an excellent background.
Sonny´s idea about turning the heads is excellent ... it may be possible if you havent used too much glue. Superglue has quite a poor tensile strength, when pressured from the side.
Looking good Scott ... lots of detail and plenty going on ... but the custom dioramics building for the background is stunning
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 12:23 PM UTC
Ground work - I doubt I will do anything symetrical at this point. More along a 'blob' shape maybe three layers of MDF. Something with height, I'd like to echo the 'verticality' of the building into the base. The road surface is going to be cobbles/brick with a small sidewalk in front of the shop to extend the stone arch. Nothing is 'set' yet.....

As far as the cicatrice - I have been wrapped up in the project to closely to notice, but now that you mention it.... That big crack is a bit "off", I think some putty patching with a bit of it left open will fix that. Thanks.

Interior - not a full one, but since the window is so big you will be able to see something, so I plan on a bit. Table, shelves, chair...

The building is a really nice one to work with. There was a bit of test fitting to get all the pieces in thier right places. They have another arched road that is similar in style and a great kit too.

You know, I had not thought to turn everyones attention to one figure. Each has his own treasure they have found (it is hard to see in the quick photo and without paint). So my idea was everyone want the attention, not just the one guy. Plus I used two part epoxy on the heads Just a weeee bit stronger than CA.

Maybe a different title - "Mines Better than Your's"

Anyway, I really do appreciate the feedback.
kiwibelg
Visit this Community
Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 939 posts
Armorama: 429 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 08:31 PM UTC
Hi Scott,
Welcome back to the fold!I like this scene, having two different coloured buildings next to each other visually is very striking.There seems to be an element of humour with the guy walking out of the shop which is a nice touch.
A couple of suggestions if i may?It is hard to tell from the pics but both roof sections do not appear to have any form of roof guttering for the rain to be flushed away.If this is the case i would expect to see alot of darker weathered areas added to the top of the green "beam" and stains from where any subsequent water build up has seeped downwards.This would also include the ground area at the front of the buildings.
It would be nice if you could incorporate something above the height of the scene.With two large structures and all of the action on the groundfloor i feel something needs to be added "upstairs".Maybe even someone looking out of a window or an animal such as a cat crawling up to a birds nest tucked between the roof and the chimney?
Keep us posted with updates mate, this is going to be a beauty to follow.
Cheers,
Shay

slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 10:24 PM UTC
The gutters are actually built, just not added yet - good call on it though.

I do like the idea of something up at the top, something subtle like the cat/bird.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 - 11:09 PM UTC
Nice work so far Scott. The looting angle has so many possibilities !!!
See if you can find a woman civilian fig. with a broom chasing the guy with the bottles out of the house .
Cheyenne
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2007 - 02:49 AM UTC
I like the idea of a civilian - maybe inside the store.

JBA, while I was on a bike ride I was milling over this project and realized that the cicatrice never struck me as 'bad' because my gutter downspout is going to be running down the outside corner. It has too because you wouldn't want the water to exit at your door step if it goes down the front.
The downspout always camoflaged the cicatice. It still may need some TLC though, we'll just have to wait and see......
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 02:03 AM UTC
Here's an update
This is what my 1st take on the base shape will be.

I don't want a 360 viewing because of this - the back is partially destroyed. I didn't want to spend a bunch of time resculpting the edges on something that will be facing a wall. Now - for those reading, if this was going to a show- oh yea - I'd sculpt to a square end and finish it off, cuz that would just have to happen.

Other shots - guy on the right will have a jerry can

Composite of the two gutters.

tjkelly
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,132 posts
Armorama: 1,123 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 02:50 AM UTC
Scott-

Nice job so far, like it. Simple, not too much going on, and like others have mentioned, colorful. Shows a different side of combat, those happier times vice the stress that is shown in dioramas.

Looking forward to viewing the finished project. Keep plugging away! Thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

Tim
beachbum
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 1,735 posts
Armorama: 586 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 02, 2007 - 03:54 PM UTC
Nice progress thus far Scott. I like the colors of the buildings as they add to the 'lively' and light hearted atmosphere of the dio. The buildings hem in the scene nicely too. Maybe a few flyers or cloth banners declaring something about Liberation or the end of the war, confetti or streamers on the ground, garlands of flowers around the necks of the soldiers may add to the gaiety of the scene. Just a thought though.

Definitely looking forward to see the progress.
tracklink2
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 131 posts
Armorama: 120 posts
Posted: Monday, September 03, 2007 - 12:44 AM UTC
is it just me or does the guy standing in front of the M20 look like Rodney Dangerfield?
Really like the looks of this dio- should shape up nicely
I agree with CK an banner would really help bring the scene togeather.
slodder
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 04:49 AM UTC
It's been a while since I did anything much on this one. I've been busy with other projects and duties.

I've worked on the main figures a bit. Paint wise anyway. Trying my hand at pre-shading figures. I used Tamiya Brown as a base shade then overcoat of Kachi or OD. It shows a bit. But I've got another coat or two to get the tones the way I want them so it may be lost (oh well).

jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Armorama: 777 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2007 - 05:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I don't want a 360 viewing because of this - the back is partially destroyed. I didn't want to spend a bunch of time resculpting the edges on something that will be facing a wall.-e

well, if you are about to make a round base -and why not this is a very good idea- it just screams "360°", how can you stop the people to turn around the diorama
Maybe the good way to block the undesired view would be to create a kind of D shape base, with the straight side which would be the one that would be blocked from view -just a suggestion
I like your figs btw!
JB
 _GOTOTOP