_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
LF: 1/35 plywood grain surface
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 09:00 AM UTC
I'm hoping to portray a surface that's plywood/pressed composite in 1/35 scale -- not that I really want wood -- I just want to make it appear like unpainted plywood.

Is this something I should look for at Dollhouse or Railroad sections of the craft store? I don't want much. A laminate or an actual film of wood would be too thick -- I need either a decal or something otherwise very thin that I'd apply to a styrene plastic surface.

Can anyone help with a suggestion?

Roy Chow
AMPS 1st Vice President
2008 International Show Chairman
April 10-12, 2008. Auburn, IN
www.amps-armor.org
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 10:05 AM UTC
Propacteam did a set of 48th and 1/72 scale wood grain decals that would work fine.
Don't know if they are even in business anylonger, or where to pick them up as my sets are from 1999.

PM me your address Roy, and I'm sure I'll be glad to send a set to you. Of course you'll be buying the beers at the Amps Nationals next year.
acav
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 517 posts
Armorama: 290 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 10:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm hoping to portray a surface that's plywood/pressed composite in 1/35 scale -- not that I really want wood -- I just want to make it appear like unpainted plywood.

Is this something I should look for at Dollhouse or Railroad sections of the craft store? I don't want much. A laminate or an actual film of wood would be too thick -- I need either a decal or something otherwise very thin that I'd apply to a styrene plastic surface.

Can anyone help with a suggestion?

Roy Chow
AMPS 1st Vice President
2008 International Show Chairman
April 10-12, 2008. Auburn, IN
www.amps-armor.org

Do you know any cigar afficianados..?

'Tubos' come with a thin (very thin, anorexic in fact...) sheet of wood wrapped around the cigar - you are supposed to light the wood, which has been soaking up essence of cigar since being sealed in the tube, then use that to start the smoking process.

Of course, if you choose to just go down the match route, you're left with a sheet of very fine grained and very thin wood, which looks a lot like 1/35th scale plywood.

Another option is to have a look in the bioatbuilding area of your LHS - they may have scale marine ply on sale there.

HTH

acav out
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 11:15 AM UTC
I've used thin sheets of balsa as plywood and it looked convincing in 1/35.
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 12:38 PM UTC
Ola Roy

Why looking for a decal to put on Styrene as you can make perfect looking wood out of styrene itself
Check this link it goes to an article I made some time ago.
DIY make your own realistic wood

The only thing you have to change is sandpaper with a finer grid and some lighter colored paint... works perfect looks extremely nice and you can make it as thick as you like.

With friendly greetz

Robert Blokker
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 2007 - 01:00 PM UTC
Hi All: thnx for the replies. I've been steered towards decals used for WW1 German aircraft.

The reason I want decals (and not wood) is that I want to replicate unpainted plywood (and not have to paint it myself). Dave, you'll be hearing from me
 _GOTOTOP