1/24 SAS jeep conversion
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 530 posts
Armorama: 450 posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 - 04:14 PM UTC
Hi guys,

I would like some honest opinions regarding the SAS Jeep conversion kit that I am making for the 1/24 Willys Jeep. I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what should be included in the kit and what others would feel comfortable creating for themselves.
For example, I've done jerry cans--Allied, water, fuel, Axis fuel. Would most modelers mind making their own can holders and frames? Or is it a deal breaker if absolutely everything isn't included?
The finished pieces for this kit that are ready to have molds made include: Vickers K guns with mags and mounts, a crate, a stove, fuel and water cans, boxes for mags, MP 40 mg, broomstick pistol, a pick, a shovel, folded tarp, rolled blankets, rolled tent section, German stick and US frag grenades, Ammo bags, open ammo bag, M1918A1 Thompson, drum mags, sand channels, extra spare tire, binoculars, German canteens, British canteens, German water bottles, Webley revolver, haversacks, wire cutters, empty wire reel, and two sizes closed canvas cases.
What have I missed that would kill an otherwise good kit? Anything proposed to be in it wrong? Would most modelers think it improper to not include stuff like weapon slings? What do you guys think I should change to make it better?

Thanks in advance,
Jim
Large Scale Armory
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 - 05:59 PM UTC
Hi Jim,
Certainly sounds like you're doing a bang up job on this set. (wish we could see some photos though!) Seems you have included quit a bit of kit.
It's also nice to see someone actually making and offering some 1/24 scale options to modelers.
As for including the weapon slings, and any other items, I guess it would be to think about whom will be your future customers. If you are aiming at the complete newcomers, then I would suggest including everything you can think of, if it's going to be aimed at the more advanced modelers, then some of the items that are easily scratched can be left out.

As an added question: will some of the items be available separately, or will you need to buy the entire conversion set just to get a few MP 40's, or other individual items?
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 02:09 AM UTC
Wow Jim. I am really glad to hear you are coming out with a SAS conversion. I almost got rid of my 1/24 Hasegawa jeep!!

Anyway, my personal opinion is I like to see as many parts/pieces as possible in a kit, so the straps/slings would be very welcome to me.

However, if you decided that the kit wouldn't have them, it wouldn't adversely effect my decision about purchasing a conversion I really wanted. Straps/slings are easy to make on our own, so to me it wouldn't be a deal breaker. Plus, your conversion isn't aimed at novice modelers, so most people considering a 1/24 conversion like this are probably fairly knowledgeable/skilled to do the fine details themselves. My $0.02 of course. Keep us up to date on the progress!!

BTW, what's your website URL? I'd like to check out your products..
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 02:10 AM UTC
Dave,

It sounds like the best way for me to go would be to target the advanced modelers out there who are looking for something a little different. While we were all newcomers once and I certainly didn't have any scratchbuilding abilities back then, I think you're right. The sort of stuff I am making does lend itself more to an experienced builder.
Although I don't plan on offering each piece individually I will fill special requests. Say if you needed ten BARs and twelve M1 Garandes because you were doing a dio on a supply depot or whatever else would call for multiples of this or that. Also if a modeler wanted a few more of something other than the amount offered in a kit it wouldn't be a big deal at all.
In addition, I plan on offering small, affordable sets that give modelers a greater flexibility to get what they want without having to buy a large kit or a pile of something that they don't need. These will be sets like we're all used to seeing. Weapons sets, gas can and fuel drum sets, radio sets, and packs and kit sets for both Allied and Axis. I've always hated seeing that one cool weapon that you like but not wanting to buy a dozen kits just to get a few.
By the way, the stuff that I've listed for the SAS jeep is only a portion of the stuff that is already completed and awaiting mold making. There is also a whole bunch more on the bench waiting on finalizing as I have a tendency to tackle the hardest part first. For example I've made the bases for both the 81mm and 60mm Allied mortars but haven't gotten around to making the simple tubes for them.
Hopefully a good bit of this stuff should be available fairly soon (no--not like the manufacturers releases that seem to take forever--I do mean soon). In addition, my first two complete vehicle kits should be ready about the middle of March and my first figure sets around the same time.
Hopefully if I sell a few kits here and there then I'll be able to afford a camera that shows all the detail in these pieces rather than just a blurry, cream colored blob!

Thanks for your interest!
Jim
Large Scale Armory
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 03:40 AM UTC
Good luck on your venture Jim, and again it's nice to see someone entering the 1/24 scale aftermarket area.
PITERPANZER
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 316 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 04:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good luck on your venture Jim, and again it's nice to see someone entering the 1/24 scale aftermarket area.

Well I talk with Jim about it and please remember about me too.We start the same time and dream about wide offer in 1-25 scale.
I open new shop for 1-25 scale armor Funs .
I hope to sale Jim`s products too.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 03:03 PM UTC
Thanks Piotr, that's good to know also.
Good luck with your shop also.

Don't forget to drop Jim Rae a line about your products.
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 03:33 PM UTC

You're absolutely right Piotr, you deserve a lot of credit for having advanced field of the 1/24-1/25 military modeling. With a bit of luck, guys like us can continue to create more and more for this field and hopefully demonstrate the fantastic potential of these larger scales. Once you get into them it really is a great deal of fun.
By the way, I'm going to try to find someone local (any Alaskan modelers out there?) to help me with getting some pictures of the parts so far. I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised at the level of detail these parts and accessories have if I can ever show them. So if there are any Alaskan modelers with photographic skills for rent then please feel free to contact me.

Jim
Large Scale Armory
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 371 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 07:50 PM UTC
You need to make an SMLE with a grenade launching cup fitted, and a wire bound fore end. This was a standard use of the older rifles, and there is a photograph of an SAS jeep with one of these on the front.

The top photo here:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jeep_man/sasjalb.htm
actually shows it, although not well.

SAS-The illustrated history by Barry Davies shows another view of this vehicle taken at the same time that clearly shows the grenade launching SMLE.

I'm currently working on Verlinden's 1/16th version, but at this stage being slighty defeated by the warping of the resin, particularly both side pieces of the body (probably have to use the kit parts as patterns and make new ones from 60 though evergreen card).

A 1/24 scale version (that's less of a struggle than the Verlinden version) would be fantastic.
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 02:32 AM UTC
Phil,

I worked out a fairly decent SMLE a while back and was thinking of redoing it one of these days (my skills have improved a bit since then). If you could send me a fairly clear photo or reference I'd be happy to see about including it in the kit as well.
If there is anything else that you can think of then please let me know. I'm not looking to create the "ultimate" SAS kit but I'd really like to furnish modelers with enough stuff for everyone to be able to make something unique. Something along the lines of being the only kid at the local show to turn up with one of THOSE done like THAT.
In addition, some of the other smaller weapons sets will compliment this kit as well. I've got a killer .50cal that won't be ready for this kit but will be available shortly thereafter. It has an opening feed chamber and NO cast in bracket so that it can be used as both a vehicle mounted unit or with the tripod mount that will come with it.

Jim
Large Scale Armory
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 03, 2008 - 01:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys,

I would like some honest opinions regarding the SAS Jeep conversion kit that I am making for the 1/24 Willys Jeep. I'm having a bit of trouble deciding what should be included in the kit and what others would feel comfortable creating for themselves.
For example, I've done jerry cans--Allied, water, fuel, Axis fuel. Would most modelers mind making their own can holders and frames? Or is it a deal breaker if absolutely everything isn't included?
The finished pieces for this kit that are ready to have molds made include: Vickers K guns with mags and mounts, a crate, a stove, fuel and water cans, boxes for mags, MP 40 mg, broomstick pistol, a pick, a shovel, folded tarp, rolled blankets, rolled tent section, German stick and US frag grenades, Ammo bags, open ammo bag, M1918A1 Thompson, drum mags, sand channels, extra spare tire, binoculars, German canteens, British canteens, German water bottles, Webley revolver, haversacks, wire cutters, empty wire reel, and two sizes closed canvas cases.
What have I missed that would kill an otherwise good kit? Anything proposed to be in it wrong? Would most modelers think it improper to not include stuff like weapon slings? What do you guys think I should change to make it better?

Thanks in advance,
Jim
Large Scale Armory

first of all I'm extremely interested but for other venues (mainly I want the weaponry). Sounds pretty complete, but maybe some ration boxes and radios. And lastly I just looked at photos of an SAS Jeep that had the twin Lewis guns mounted in the back seat and a Browning fifty mounted where they would normally mount the Lewis guns!

P.M. me as I have something you might well be interested in regarding this idea of yours.

gary
JEEPRMEDIC
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Armorama: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 02:01 PM UTC
Jim,
Any work on the 1/24 Vickers for the SAS Jeep? I am interested in any or all of the items you listed for the Hasegawa kit.
John
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 09:18 PM UTC
It sounds like a really exciting project. Couple of comments. Regarding the JerryCans, SAS Jeeps would use a mixture of British, German and ITALIAN.

Weapon slings would always be seen for personal weapons as would ammunition pouches. We were taling about this the other day in another thread, this is the DOUBLE-POUCH for rifle ammunition:

If you need ANY images of British personal equipment, let me know, i've got a VERY extensive photo archive on it...
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 12:15 AM UTC
Thanks for the offer Jim, I'll gladly accept. I have a "Basic British Jeep set" that is different from the SAS kit and both would benefit from having more detail pieces like these ammo pouches. Is it possible to get an approximate size as well? I've got some British packs and pouches already but I'd toss them in a second if I could make a better and more accurate version. (I especially need references on the packs they carried)

Any really clear references like the pouches you posted along with some sort of size reference would be greatly appreciated. The better the approximate size then the better I'll be able to render it. That way I can add to the kits or simply replace some of my earlier work. I'd be most interested in the common soldier's gear, packs and any common shipping containers. Again I thank you for your input and look forward to anything you can send me.

thanks,
Jim
Large Scale Armory
RecyMech
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 03:42 AM UTC
Last post I can find on the subject of Large Scale Armoury was September 2011, just about 11 months ago. (And this thread started in December 2007 !!!)

Any one heard anything further ? I get no reply from direct e mails to Jim. Did he ever get started up ?, anyone bought anything ?

Howard @ KFS
www.kitformservices.com
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 02:13 PM UTC
Hi Howard,

I'm still around! And yes, LSA is alive and well though production is not yet locked in. Haven't sold anything yet as I don't want to begin sales until I can find a reliable production source (I work 60+ hours a week so my production capability simply won't do).

That said I've continued making complete new product lines and developing more pieces so when I do launch the company the selection will be very extensive. LSA has a full 14 weapons and accessory sets fully developed with two conversion sets done as well. (So finding a reliable source for production on this scale has been problematic.)

In addition there are two full kits in the later stages of completion and several more well under way. These now include more modern weapons and accessories (Vietnam thru today) as well and there is even a super huge surprise for the modern modeler coming next year.

Feel free to PM me here anytime as I am still around and would love to update you further as I've developed some stuff that you'd like.

Jim
Large Scale Armory
RecyMech
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 34 posts
Armorama: 33 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 2012 - 09:40 PM UTC
Jim,
Incoming

H
NebLWeffah
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,683 posts
Armorama: 1,248 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 02:06 PM UTC
Still hoping to get a good quality 1/24th or 1/25th .50 caliber MG or two for my 1/25th Tamiya Centurion that I'm in the process of converting to a Canadian Mk 11 LR.

cheers
Bob

DAVID5
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 46 posts
Armorama: 38 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2012 - 06:25 AM UTC
Hello Jim;did you get anywhere with the post office ?
David
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 01, 2012 - 10:19 AM UTC

Unfortunately no. All that they can tell me at this time is that it isn't in the U.S. but they can only inquire about it from there. At this point it looks as though it is a write off for me. If you'd like, I can box up another one and send it via a better carrier with tracking. I usually send things overseas by DHL but I tried to go cheap this time. Guess you get what you pay for in that regard. (Lesson learned.)

Sending a replacement isn't a problem as I have accumulated quite a few of these over the years. So much so that I've put together a cast wheel/sprocket/track set for the M5 and a replacement wheel set for the Long Tom. (I'll likely never release these as a kit unless the M5/Long Tom set is ever reissued in large quantity.)

So I'll whip up a replacement a.s.a.p. and PM you the tracking number so that we can follow it all the way to your door. Oddly enough, I've still got loads of the extras that I packed aboard the last one so not to worry regarding any of the additional stuff.

The main issue will be with the tires in the original kit from Bandai. I believe I only have a handful of those left in some of the kits and I think the best ones were in the package that is currently AWOL. I'll toss in whatever I have left and you can take your pick from those as I'll never use them.

Hope that this will work for you. I won't be able to post it until next Tuesday but it should go quickly from that point on.

Jim
Large Scale Armory
armyguy
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 262 posts
Armorama: 150 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 - 03:57 PM UTC
I keep following this post, I hope it will lead to some 1/24 scale after market accessories. I would like to get some stuff for my Hasegawa Jeeps.
Keep us posted.
Thans Dave
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 - 05:29 PM UTC
1/24 seems to be the poor relation for aftermarket !!

Following with interest
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2013 - 06:32 PM UTC
Hi Nige,

Hopefully LSA is about to change all that in the very near future. I've looked at various accessories available for 1/35 for years and have given a great deal of thought as to what would be most useful for modeler's wanting to do subjects in 1/24.

The answer, to me at least, is 1/24 needs the basics. All of them. US, British, German and Russian weapons and personal gear. It's so hard to create something cool and unique with even a fantastic 1/24 vehicle because the modeler can't pile weapons and canteens and radios all over it.

So that's what we've concentrated on. Getting all the basic weapons, helmets, boots and crates needed to dress up what is currently available. Time will tell if I've addressed the lack of accessories successfully or not. But until then I think what we're getting ready to release will be quite welcome.

Jim
Large Scale Armory
chinook
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 29 posts
Armorama: 28 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 10:16 AM UTC
Hello Jim, As I see your getting close,I am on the edge of my seat waiting. I have been stocking up on Jeeps & kubelwagens. I am a HUGE North Africa fan, SAS, LRDG, and US, Cant wait to see what you may have planed for us 1/24 fans. Saving tax return for you, Good Luck on speedy start up. Ray
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2013 - 01:44 PM UTC
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the encouragement. So far we plan two LRDG and SAS accessory kits. These are not to be confused with the SAS Conversion set which specifically converts the 1/24 Jeep into the famous SAS version.

The first kit is a weapons only set and has SMLEs, M1928 Thompson, a Boys anti-tank rifle and a Webley pistol. The second is a LRDG stores kit offering British flimsys, tarps, crates and supplies commonly piled on many LRDG vehicles. There are even a few DAK items thrown in to make things interesting. This second kit will be one of the larger kits with many pieces and is designed to outfit a converted or scratchbuilt model.

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Jim
Large Scale Models
 _GOTOTOP