Hosted by Darren Baker
Italian "maiale" in harbour
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 04:19 AM UTC
This is Italieris nice little sub im going to put into a harboursetting - but im having some troubles deciding the layout.

The stone quay is made from cork ala the Carlos method and i plan on putting a wooden platform and some stairs down by the side.

Im in doubt whether to include the building or where to place it .. any suggestions from those 3 layouts?

Cheers

Jan
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 04:41 AM UTC
I think either 1 or 2. 3 looks too crowded and the sub looks like it is hidden behind the building. Also, it looks like it would be hard to get a crane over the sub to lower it into the water from that angle.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 04:46 AM UTC
I agree with Gino on #3 - it's out.

I like the jeep in #1, the riders position is natural as if he just pulled up and is checking out the sub. #2 doesn't feel natural.
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / Espańa
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 07:07 AM UTC
hello JAn,
I think that the building here ist not the best option, this torpedo need "air" around it I think that one option can be rails in the ground and some "navy" item near, a canvas in the ground used for cover the torpedo for sample...
cheers
Sandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 628 posts
Armorama: 405 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 07:16 AM UTC
Hi Option one is the best but add some bollards made from Map pins they come in various types to suit or you can use parts from plastic pens with a little imagination cheers ian
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 07:38 AM UTC
Thanks for the input mates. Looking at the setup I more and more comes to the conclusion that the building is too tall compared and dominating with the rest - i think ill keep as an option, but settle for some harbourrelated equipment and a lamppost - maybe a nice little fence somewhere ...

Thanks/Jan
imagoodsniper
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 123 posts
Armorama: 111 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 09:14 AM UTC
I would go with number 1 i think that one looks the best.
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 09:37 AM UTC
Hi there

One option would be to have the building as a full width backdrop to the scene as say a harbour shed with door way. This could be done with simple rusty wriggly tin roof and wall cladding between rusty cast iron beams and columns, cast iron gutters and down pipe.

You would still have width and space for a small dockside hoist or just the jeep and sub. A good chunky anvil style bollard for tying up the boats would look good.

All the best

Nige

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 10:21 AM UTC
I can see what you mean about the size of the building. I think if you have something mid sized - stack of boxes/crates, tall equipment, just in front of the building it will almost 'frame' the scene. It will also draw the eyes down from the height of the building into the true subject.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 10:48 AM UTC
Hi Jan. Nice little scene ... I like the jeep and sub, but feel the building is wrong. Maybe its too close to the quay edge, or maybe its too overpowering ... or even both. Somebody suggested already, some typical dockside elements, and I think it would suite better.
Im thinking Accurate Armor crates or MIG“s harbour crane.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 11:38 AM UTC
Number one if you insist on having a building,
but I'm with Carlos, ditch the building, and use some nautical stuff to fill the space, and not too close to the edge of the peir. The tall building actually pulls the eye from the sub, which should be the focus. so arrange the items pointing toward or leading the eyes to the sub.
Make a GI straddling the sub, like he's testing it out. I could send you a hornet head with a goofy look to add a little amusement to the scene. A nice bollard or cleat sized to represent the size of the ship or boat that would tie up at the pier would set it off nicely.

I almost bought that kit today.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 - 08:12 PM UTC
Hey mates, thanks for the input, the building is now officially out of the question

I have been looking at the MIG crane, but i want to keep the cost down, so i think ill pile some crates, ropes and barrels under a tarp somewhere in the big corner.

I allso have a lamppost and other stuff that will fit in.

Thanks for the offer Dave, Im not sure im going to use US troops, as i have the Bronco scout car - but lets see how it develops ..

Its a nice little kit, but a bit pricy compared to the number of parts - but theres a nice fret of PE and a booklet thrown in on the price ... and its looks a bit like a grumpything
tjkelly
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,132 posts
Armorama: 1,123 posts
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 - 12:17 PM UTC
Jan -

WIll have to agree with option #1. Like the way the jeep is positioned, looks as if he was driving along, maybe down an alley, and came into the open and stopped suddenly when seeing the "sub".

Like the wall so far, and your ideas of a platform and stairs. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers!

Tim
TB2
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 361 posts
Armorama: 279 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 13, 2007 - 04:10 AM UTC
Gotta agree with Grumpy and the suggestion to add a few harbour-related items. A couple strategically placed crates and especially bollards will establish the setting for the viewer. I'd keep the number of accessories to a minimum; the Maiale is such an unusual and unique piece I wouldn't want the eye to be distracted from it. I think you've got it figured out now by the sounds of it. The build looks great so far.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2007 - 09:18 AM UTC
Thanks for all the feedback!

Some progress - water is done and the stonework only lacks some signs of highwater and the woodwork needs painting and wheathering.

Im still fighting the layout on the quay ...
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Friday, December 14, 2007 - 11:25 AM UTC
Hi there

Looking great! Maybe Sub to the left of pic in line with the wall? Everything else to the right? Toolbox and other related stuff partly under a small tarp nearby the sub as if pulled off the sub and onto what is around it?

Nige
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:05 PM UTC
Not really working myself to death but making slow progress.... and yes ... i know the building is back.. but i felt kinda missing it ...

This is the current layout - it may change but i want this italien cluttered feeling - feel free to comment.

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, January 18, 2008 - 10:43 PM UTC
Hi Jan,

This is looking really good so far, excellent stuff.

Al
cheyenne
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 12:14 AM UTC
Jan, please don't take this the wrong way.
Everything you've done is very well done. The dock, pier, building, etc. all elements very well represented.
I would like to ask how you did the terra cota roof tiles.
To be honest with you, as previously mentioned by the others - the sub just dosen't look like it belongs in this section of the pier. I know there could be a whole crane system outside of the vig. but the viewer won't assume that.
There is no visible means of putting it in/out of the water and even if there was the walkdown to the water level is in the way.
Can you build another section to mate up to the pier on the left of what you've already built ?This way you can refigure the subs placement on the new section. The new section could incorporate a ramp or davits for the subs inny/outy.
The previous suggestion of Mig's crane would be sweet but $ wise you could just use my aforementioned ramp/davits you could scratch.
That , or loose the sub entirely and repopulate the scene with something else and do a whole other vig. with the sub.
Like I said everything you' ve built is very well done and I hope you don't take this the wrong way.
This is just my feeling on the thing.
Glenn
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 12:47 AM UTC
No offence at all Glenn, you have nailed my thoughts exactly when I stand scratching my head an looking at the dio...

I have concidered putting the sub on a trolly instead - that might help a lot ... well, nobody said it was easy ...
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 303 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 01:14 AM UTC
Jan very nice work on all the components for this dio they all fit together very well and make for an interesting scene.I have been reading the post reference how the sub got there.One option is to attach lifting straps to the sub and leave them trailing on the floor,this will give the viewer the impression that a crane has been used or is about to be,if you make the straps long enough they could trail out of the scene to point toward the presence of a crane just outside the dio.
Just a suggestion that might help you out.

Steve
cheyenne
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 01:27 AM UTC
Jan, brilliant idea, this way it will look as if it has been pushed of to the side type of thing, trolly, brilliant !!!! The sub cradle did make it look more of a semi permenant lodging.
No go on the expanded version I suggested ?, you could add more buildings and make it more cluttered to give it a busy pier look, see this is how a vig. turns into a larger undertaking l.o.l.

Steve, another great suggestion !!!!

Glenn
spaarndammer
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
Armorama: 282 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 01:44 AM UTC
He Jan,

I think of putting that sub in a dio is quite difficult (which you already found out your self already), but very well to give it a try!

maybe it is an idea to put some construction stuff/ repair stuff of stuff related for preparing the mini-sub for action in front of the building and/or around your sub, and even one door open op the building so that the sub has a true connection with the building and exemplfies why the sub is over there. Your trollie then shows that the boat is put somewhere else in the water. If left without figures, your dio could show a hasty retreat of the navy personell working on the sub. (if they were not hasty, why didn't they demolish the sub?)

Is it also an idea to make the barrel in the water more rusty and even put a oily stain around it?

Just some suggestions from my side, I like the build so far!

Regards,

Jelger
roudeleiw
Visit this Community
Luxembourg
KitMaker: 2,406 posts
Armorama: 2,224 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 08:36 AM UTC
Well done Jan,

With your talent and the help of all the guys this is going to look great. Congrats

Claude

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 - 10:06 AM UTC
Thanks guys for all your input - its allmost a "onemangroupbuild"

All the bits and pieces are just put on for display and are just basepainted and not weathred at all. theres still lots to do.

Glenn, forgot - the roof are made of styrene 5 mm pipe cut in lengths and then cut in halfs and glued on a sheet of 1 mm styrene. I ran out of pipe so i had to make a rooflight

Cheers/Jan
 _GOTOTOP