Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
: On the Eastern Front
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Armorama: 656 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 07:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Bruce,
Somehow I missed you being the XO here.... sorry, didn't mean to get in the way or cut in on the desicion making. I just get carried away from time to time and take action....

I will be joining up with the sdkfz 251/1 then. Thanks for allowing it!! Stay tuned for pictures!

ohhh and by the way, say hi to Matt and wish him and his family the best of luck!!

hello Ron,
i am the XO of Blitzkrieg campaign,i did not even know about this campaign till i saw the posts about it.i have been working on a 2 ship campaign builds and a wingy thing for an air campaign.
but i will try to help everyone as much as i can.i still think that Andrezj should be appointed as campaign leader.i think he is a 1A in the Campaign Draft Pool .
cheers,
Bruce
Mobious
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 210 posts
Armorama: 126 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 08:03 AM UTC
Please send my Best Wishes/Prayers to Matt also. I too, didn't know what had happened.
Thanks for being the co-captain and helping keep things straight, Greyghost666.
c5flies
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,684 posts
Armorama: 2,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 08:42 AM UTC
Best wishes to Matt also, guy has had a rough year.

Andrzej, you had no choice in the matter....we volunteered you

Thanks for taking command.

special note to Mrs. Snigorski......let Andrzej have his Mauser Kar98k, think about how he'll be out of your hair while he's playing with it, and how much shopping you can do while reminding him how nice you are to let him get it.

markm
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Armorama: 1,148 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 08:52 AM UTC
Ok Gentlemen, you now have a new campaign leader. I apologize for not seeing what was happening sooner.

You also have gallery space assigned as well.
erichvon
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,694 posts
Armorama: 1,584 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 04:55 PM UTC
Oh dear...It's started. The buying that is. Went on Net Merchants earlier and bought my first few boxes of figs for the dio and had to stop when I got to 30 quid as I was on a roll and it could have got messy...LOL...That should keep me ticking over for a couple of weeks. Has anyone built the Zvezda Maxim teams and if so are they any good as I was contemplating sticking one in a building to cover part of one street?
Mobious
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 06:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh dear...It's started. The buying that is. Went on Net Merchants earlier and bought my first few boxes of figs for the dio and had to stop when I got to 30 quid as I was on a roll and it could have got messy...LOL...

I purchased, If I can remeber clearly, 3 fig. kits, an arty piece, and a GAZ , before the haze lifted.... I'm not quite sure why I purchased the GAZ. I think, because it's Soviet and that would bring my total stash of Soviet equipment up to a whopping 2.
Best Regards,
endrju007
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
KitMaker: 2,435 posts
Armorama: 1,256 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 11:42 PM UTC
Hi mates!

I've updated conditions in PROFILE of the campaign and clarified them a little: ANY item havier than riffle is acceptable now: welcome machinegunners .

@ Mobious - answering your question concerning participant's work tracking - there was something like "campaign journal" for every participant, but now this forum is all we have. If you want to show your work step by step you can always start a build blog in "campaigns" forum.

Andrzej
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
KitMaker: 2,093 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 - 12:56 AM UTC
well, as I promised, here are some pictures of the (re)building of this 251/1.
It is not a Sd.Kfz. 251/18 as I previously thought. It is not a 251/3 either, because this designation was given to artilleryvehicles during this time. The /3 as a command/communications vehicle came later.
This one is a standard 251/1 with maptable, radiosets and additional armor added. It was used by Maj.dr. Josef-Franz Eckinger, commander of the 2.bat. of the 113. Schützenregt. 1. Pz.Div. during Barbarossa july 1941, Aiviekste railwaystation, Latvia.
I was able to find and identify a number of photo's of him and his vehicle, but it took me quite some time and research, befor I figured all this out.

So much for the theory, here are some WIP-pics:
The additions I previously made in the c&c-campaign had to be reworked. The bar with the binoculars (Scherenfernrohr) proved incorrect and had to be taken out. The radiolayout didn't look right or logical either. It turned out that I had used the wrong radio's and that I mounted some of them upside down! So that was reworked.
The backrests of the frontseats supllied in the kit are wrong, so these had to be rebuild. Behind the driver's seat there is some sort of box/locker visible, so this had to be made too.

The reworked radio and locker on the left:

The backrests;
On the left the original supllied in the kit, on the right a rebuild Dragonpart;
endrju007
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 - 01:21 AM UTC
Ron,

nice wireworks with radio . I'm working with propper all pipes and wires on the T34's engine. I don't know if I would make all as they were, but I'm trying to build all visible ones.

Andrzej
endrju007
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 - 05:05 AM UTC
Hi all,

Thanks to Mark we have the gallery ready:
http://gallery.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/22313
so you can put pictures showing your progress and finished stuff there.

Andrzej
Mobious
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 - 09:29 AM UTC
Hello all,
I think the research into the 251 is great, Thanks Ron for giving a bit of history with your awesome looking project. This is going to be a spectacular vehicle. I have always enjoyed the open tops. Keep Posting!
Thanks for the heads up on the Build Blog, Andrzej. I don't think I'm ready to start blogging stuff just yet.

Best Regards,
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2008 - 08:24 PM UTC
Andrzej, thanks for taking up responcibility for this campaign when needed. An honour to serve with you

Ron, I am glad to see that you will enter your build for this campaign. The build looked very promising for the C&C campaign so it is great that we will now have the chance to see it finished for this campaign instead.

I am still gearing up for my Marder II build. As soon as I get some of all those wingy things of my work table....
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,386 posts
Armorama: 4,727 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 01, 2008 - 05:30 AM UTC
@ Mobious
I'll get the rocket unit from an Italeri Demag kit towing the Rocket unit.

I started the BT-7 this weekend, these Eastern Express kits are no fun...

Will keep you posted with some pics next time
endrju007
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 12:54 AM UTC
Hi everybody!

I've just found site with great number of WW2 pictures - it seems that these pics were scanned from German soldiers personal photo albums. I'm chceking second album now and it seems that these pictures are mostly from Eastern Front - they may be used as a great refference.

HERE is the link.

It's in Russian, so I'm not sure about the text, but pics are great.

Andrzej
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 12:41 AM UTC
Early shots of the BT-7

Mobious
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 07:04 AM UTC
Hello Everyone,
Nitto, I think the BT-7 is cool. It's an unusual tank.
Thanks for that link Andrzej, there are tons of pics. I take those must be unit histories. A couple looked as if they may have been an Artillery Regiment and one a Cavalry. I wish I could read Russian. I thought I even seen a motorized infantry regiment? The book I currently am reading made mention of the fact that early on even alot of the (Mot.) units were horseback because of the lack of vehicles. The book states that by 1940 only 16 of 157 divisions were fully motorized. Something else I thought interesting is the number of horses used in WW1 was1.4 million compared to the 2.7 million used by the German army duriing WW2
I do have a question about artillery. Generally speaking were the German infantry division artillery regiments horse drawn, and the motorized infantry/armored artillery regiments vehicle equipped?
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 09:11 PM UTC
John, good choice with the BT-7.

I have build that one twice. Notice that you will have some fit problems with the rear hull armour plates. The best way to deal with this is to start from the bottom of the hull and work your way up. In this way you will end with a big gap at the top, but this can easily be filled with a piece of plastic card.

Hope this helps
Nito74
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 - 10:52 PM UTC
Thanks for the advice Jesper !

I glued those panels last night...
I have the gap at the bottom, i will fix it with some plastic parts and white glue.

I will have to find some chains for it too, all the pics I found it's always full of chains..
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 - 03:57 AM UTC
Here's a little update from me.
I'll start with the interior. I added some more details/parts partially from the original kit and partially from the sparesbox. I lost some fittings of the locks, so these will have to be added. The FuSpr.A has been transferred from the right sidem where it got in the way, to the left side And I replaced the original one with an old Tamiya radio. This should give an idea of the quality of the Zvezda specimen

Then I steted working on the driver.
In real life these guys had to be either midgets of snakemen. I used one of the vinylfigures from a Dragonkit and this one had to be subjected to some major misfiguring surgery just to get him to fit! I really dislike this vinyl as I find it difficult to work with!

I also created the crew of this vehicle; the majpr himself and a member of his staff.

And finally a detailshot of the Scherenfernrohr (binoculairs);
youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 09:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Figure vignette allowed?

....I'd like to see your figure vignette here (especially if you'd use your little yellow friend I remember from Airscale thread to present your progress ) .....As I understood it would be OK if the figures would use some equipment havier that a riffle (like a rocket louncher, panzefaust or somenthing like that).

Andrzej

Thanks for the rule change, I have now enlisted. I couldn't have committed to building an entire tank, very busy at the moment. I will use my little yellow friend who has been 'under the knife' since last appearing here. Prepare for a whole new look!

Good luck Andrzej in leading the campaign
Mobious
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 02:33 PM UTC
Welcome Aboard Chas,
Here are a couple of pics from the latest

This is my first AFV Club kit. I think the kit is pretty good.

I've got about 15 more figures to do yet..
Best Regards,
yeahwiggie
Visit this Community
Dalarnas, Sweden
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 07:20 PM UTC
Nice going Mobious!
I am very curious about the rest of this build!
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, July 06, 2008 - 10:55 PM UTC
Ron, great progress on the 251. A nice busy interior and some figures that fit in very well.

I have started on my 1/35 Marder II and made a slow start. The superstruture armoured sides is one big square that was a little difficult to get to fit properly. Anyway, more to follow.

troubble27
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 783 posts
Armorama: 637 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 - 04:01 AM UTC
Looking good so far guys. I am actually almost done myself LOL I made lots of progress over the long 3 day weekend on the BM13 Katyusha Launcher. So far it is built, and painted. Now all I have to do is add a white wash and weather it a bit, and I should be done. Hopefully by tomorrow night if all goes well. Then I just had to steal my digital camera back from my wife LOL

Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 807 posts
Armorama: 671 posts
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 - 05:33 AM UTC
Nice work gents! I'll be starting my project in another couple of weeks as soon as I finish up a few more builds I have going on at the moment.