Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Deep Wading Bren - Resicast Conversion
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 03:40 AM UTC
Later: lol,

Lacking any colour pics of the tracks on the kit in WW2 I used these as my guide:

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 23, 2008 - 11:25 PM UTC
Some updates:

Have added the Tamiya stowage and will build in some tins/boxes etc when I add some rope. The beauty of Graham's new set is you just need to drill a couple of holes underneath and drop it on.

I've added the tow bar and at the same time as doing the tools added the rear decal.

For John:

I had a reply from Doug at the Juno Beach Association who tells me The North Shore Regiment were part of 8th Canadian Infantry Division. He didn't say where the info came from but there would appear to be an error in Bouchery's book which shows 4th, 5th and 6th Canadian Infantry Brigades in the chart but underneath shows 7th, 8th and 9th Canadian Infantry Brigades in the information box.

I am not sure how this would affect the AOS number, if in fact it changed it at all. Unfortunately Doug was unable to give me any data on the Headquarters and Defence Platoon so I'll keep the green 87 for now and use the green 62 for the North Shore Regiment.

Don't you just hate decals lol, lol.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 24, 2008 - 04:08 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Well not a lot of feedback on the vehicles so here are some pics that I used for reference and that might give you a bit of inspiration. These are from IWM site and I love the one towing the german staff car

I like the .50 cal and the front panel removed for the driver to see lol, lol.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 03:20 AM UTC
Hi Folks,

Some updates on the stowage for the 1st carrier:

Al
Keef1648
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,240 posts
Armorama: 1,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 03:46 AM UTC
I love it Alan, nice job mate...keep us updated please.

Keith.

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 04:19 AM UTC
Hi Keith,

Thanks. I've just started work on drilling the holes in the fittings on the New Panels for the 2nd carrier. Graham has come up trumps here. He has cast them with a small indent on top to catch your drill bit. This makes drilling them out a breeze and much easier than on the old set, where your bit was likely to skid if you were not careful. It also means that the holding rods should align perfectly. This is so much easier that the older version I take my hat off to him, it's really good casting and thinking from a modellers point of view.

Al
sauceman
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,672 posts
Armorama: 2,475 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 04:31 AM UTC
Your attention to detail is fantastic.

cheers
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 - 06:00 AM UTC
Hi Rick,

Many thanks, much appreciated. The first one is nearing completion with just some shipping markings to add, a few small hanging items inside, and the rope to tone down a bit. I still need a commander but I'm thinking on that.

Some alternatives for the front

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 31, 2008 - 07:05 AM UTC
Some Updates:

This is the 2nd of the two carriers and build with the New wading set which I have to say makes fitting the panels and rods so much easier, I also used 2 pieces of Graham's new stowage, one inside and one on the rear.

Still a fair bit of work to do but it's on the homeward run now.

I have nothing but the highest praise for Grahams new sets, they have breathed a complete new lease of life into this old kit and should make for some interesting possibilities.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 03:30 AM UTC
Hi Folks,

Some updates on the build.

This is the first of the 2 carriers, about done with the commander added. He needs a little eye work and I'm undecided about fixing the mistake I made during the build at this stage; Anyway her it is, this was done with the older resicast conversion:

Hopefully represents a Universal Carrier Mk II from the Headquarters and Defence Platoon, 8th Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Infantry regiment

In position on the LCM 3

This is the progress on the 2nd carrier, this time representing a vehicle from The North Shore Regiment, I still have a lot to do on this one, make a commander and finish off the figs, add some petrol cans to the front and make the rifles and personal kit for the inside. This one was built with teh new Resicast Wading Set.

One down (almost ) one to go.

Al
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 10:10 AM UTC
Great stuff Alan, very impressed I am, or is it jealous perhaps..

The figures are amazing with some good poses and attention to detail...

Keep it up and let us enjoy the updates.

Keith
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 08:56 PM UTC
Hi Keith,

Glad you like it so far and thanks for dropping in. These have been a lot of fun. To the 6 or 8 others who contributed to the post thanks for your feedback guys, it was much appreciated.

Al
Keef1648
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 12:10 AM UTC
Alan.
Your welcome. Seeing innovative ideas for dioramas such as yours helps me maintain momentum when it comes to thinking about new projects for myself.

One VERY SMALL item I have just noticed is, no wear or silvering marks where the carrier was backed over the loading ramp, especially the hinge area..

If you don't win something with this one I will be very surprised.

Keith.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 05:23 AM UTC
Hi Keith,

There is quite a lot of ware and silvering if you look down on the ramp, but it's not so visable from the side. I'll look again at it, thanks for that.

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 10:39 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

This about brings this build to a close. A commander for the 2nd vehicle and some shipping data are all that remain and I'll get around to those over the next few weeks.

Here are the two carriers built from the Old and New Resicast Conversion Sets. My thanks again to Graham at Resicast for upgradeing the second set, this was so much easier to use than the older one and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to build one of these.

The New stowage set also works extremely well and on the second one I've given it the nose up effect of a heavy load, or low slung bum if you prefer lol, lol.

These represent 2 vehicles from 3rd Canadian Infantry Division and my thanks to Rick aka the Bear for sending me the correct Maple Leafs for these builds.

The Older version is AOS 87 for the Headquartyers and Defence Platoon, 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade.

The New version is AOS 62 for the North Shore (New Brunswick() Regiment, 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade.

Cheers

Al
marsiascout
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,247 posts
Armorama: 913 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 11:37 PM UTC
They are looking really nice. I only would change the stowage at the front. On both vehicles its exact the same.

Lars
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 12:08 AM UTC
Hi Lars,

Many thanks for dropping in. If you look at the pics above I have some additional stuff on one of the carriers. That said I was undecided whether or not to keep it there are most of the pics I've looked at show little on the front during the landing stage which I can understand. The fuel cans are also slightly different, not a lot but a little lol, lol.

The vehicles will be on different parts of the dio, one on the LCM and the other on the beach so I'm not sure that it would matter much, but I'll think on it a bit more.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 12:47 AM UTC
Well the snow stopped, it is spring lol, lol and th light looked right for some better pics: Popped on a bit of stowage - thoughts?

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008 - 05:59 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

well that was an outstanding response, everyone asleep or just not interested?

Al
whittman181
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 646 posts
Armorama: 473 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008 - 06:06 PM UTC
The Bren carriers came out great The tarp on front looks like it wants to fall off? Thanks for showing, Bob
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 03:53 AM UTC
Hi Bob,

Not sure which pic you looked at, possibly the on in the LC? Thanks for the feedback.

Al
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 06:40 AM UTC
They both turned out really well Alan. They look a bit clean to me. I know they are still on the boat but they would have picked up some dirt on the journey to the embarkation ports. The figures look great, are they ultracast heads?

BTW I think the longer blogs and posts get the less likely people are to answer them
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 08:53 AM UTC
Hi Pat,

Thanks for the feeedback, I had similar thoughts about some dust, not really one for clean vehicles anyway.

Yip, heads were Ultracast best I can remember.

Take your point about the longer posts, change of policy required.

Thanks

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 05:51 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

A couple of pics to finish off this thread: Pat dusty as required, with some shipping markings and a 2nd crew commander;

Universal Carrier Mk II The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment, 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Infantry Division.

Universal Carrier Mk II Headquarters and Defence Platoon, 8th Canadian Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Infantry Division.

Al

harrier1
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 613 posts
Armorama: 484 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 23, 2008 - 06:32 AM UTC
Hi Al
These look great. How did you do the shipping markings, are they actually chalk? Once again, beautiful looking carriers, thanks for showing them. Nick