_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Deep Wading Bren - Resicast Conversion
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 02:33 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Another of the 'passenegers' for the LCM3. This time a deep wading carrier.

what's worth noting here are the new tooled resin tracks Graham has done for the carrier kits he is currently reworking. They look excellent, will be my first use of resin tacks, and I will now be able to get on with my other carrier upgrades/conversions.

I'll post some updates when I get things cleaned up.

New tracks

Old and New

Deep Wading Set

The old Tamiya kit

Graham is currently re-tooling the Infantry and MG Carrier sets so here's a link if you want to check out his latest stuff.

http://www.resicast.com/

I have to say I'd like to get the 6pdr and crew sometime and also the Sexton

Cheers

Al
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 - 10:33 AM UTC
Hey Al
Didn't know a version existed! This will be of interest.
Do you have a clearer shot of the finished thing on that bag?
What is the Resicast resin like to work with?
Cheers
Brad
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 - 03:05 AM UTC
Hi Brad,

I'll post a few pics of the bits when I have them cleaned up. I like the Resicast stuff, I've found it pretty good to work with and I'm not a big resin fan.

Check you PMs

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 06:01 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Well after a long, long time I have finally made a start on the carrier.

I'm using the old conversion set from Resicast although a complete New Set has just recently come out.

I have drilled all the holes in the fixings and separted and marked the Panels. I'm hoping to use wire for the retaining rods and have made a start on the carrier, constructed the basic hull and spent the day installing the radio and plumbing and painting lots of Graham;s New resin thacks. Wheels are done and ready for fixing although I want to install a bit more of the interior first.

The repalcement drive sockets are very thin and therefore quite soft on the edges so I've run some super glue around the inside rim to help strengthen them up.

Additional fittings for the radio are from the plus model set although I've used teh kit radio as with the side panels on not too much will be seen (me thinks lol, lol).

Brad, some additonal shots of the kit parts

Graham's New Tracks

Instructions

Cheers

Al
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 2,012 posts
Armorama: 1,949 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 01:06 PM UTC
Hey Alan,
Looking good, is this the project you need the 3rd Canadian Infantry markings for?

jjumbo
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 02:42 PM UTC
Wow! Resin track runs that are straight! I've never seen any before!
That's a great way to cast tracks. Usually resin track runs are cast from the side. As the resin cures, it shrinks. As the track shrinks, it warps longitudinally. This makes the track run completely useless and you can't bend them back. Nothing like paying $150 for a resin kit and not being able to finish it because you can't put the tracks on and nobody makes them AM! All the Resicast stuff I have is flawless and beautifully done, and goes together perfectly. Kudos to Resicast for inventing the straight resin track run!!!!
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 - 05:15 PM UTC
Hi John,

Yip, that's the one.

Matthew,

I'm no resin expert but these look exceptionally good to me.

Cheers guys

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 03:58 AM UTC
Hi folks,

Some updates on yesterdays work.

have completed the plumbing for the radio and added the seats, painted a lot of tracks and a small signals bad for the radio operatpr is under way. Cleaned off the pin marks and roughtened up the armour slightly, removed the square block for the MG housing.

Cheers

Al
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 05:24 AM UTC
Now THIS is something I've never seen before! A deep wading bren.

Looks interesting so far.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 06:08 AM UTC
Hi Jeff,

Here's a link to Graham's New Kit, that was in the News a while ago.

http://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/3459&mode=&order=0

I'm using the older version as I already had it but I'm using his new tracks which I think are really good. He's casting them in a different way so they remain straight and they are quite flexible with proper joins at each end so they should fit together well. The detail is excellent

We shall see how things develop lol, lol.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 08:24 AM UTC
Hi Folks

Thought I'd have a go at a few tracks this evening. First time with resin tracks and these are pretty small.

In the picture below if you look to the LHS you'll see the first joined section, sitting beside that are 4 sections I have ready to join. These have all turned out well so far so here's what I learnt during this exercise.

If you look to the right you'll see 3 sections where I have snapped a small part out. This was because at first I tried to make the cut tight to the track, thinking to cut off the excess neatly. If you look in the top centre you'll see a section that has the small attatchments on. Cutting them this way and then tilting the track to trim of the excess has been very successsful. A soft emery board tidies up any excesss and there is no damage. So my advice would be to cut on the outside edge of the spur join.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 29, 2008 - 10:09 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

some updates on the carrier.

I normally build the vehicle and add the kit towards the end. Given the high sides of the panels I'll need to complete most of the rear and drivers compartments first.

I have started work on the signaller and the driver to whom I've gioven a new head looking upwards. added a few rifles and soem small bags and will fit the ammo boxes and stuff shortly.

The ammo boxes were secured by means of a strap and I'll try to see if I can replicate this in the next stage.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 01, 2008 - 08:28 PM UTC
Some updates:

The rear compartment is about finished with the smaller itrems having been added. The signaller has been installed and plumbed in and the only remaining items I might add are a waterbottle, water can and some compo boxes.

Here is a poor pic but you can see that the track wraps easily around the drive sprocket, just apply some gentle pressure and take a few moments for it to adjust to the shape.

I have to say I'm highly impressed with Graham's New Track - nice one Graham.

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 02, 2008 - 04:44 AM UTC
Hi Guys,

Added the tracks this afternoon, that's a major job almost done.

Al

AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 08:35 PM UTC
Hi Guys,

Doesn't that really bug you when you make a post, take and add some pics and no one bothers to reply lol, lol. Well as they say I started this one so I'll finish it. Some progress shots:

Al
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Friday, March 07, 2008 - 11:06 PM UTC
Very nice work Alan, and an interesting step by step, the way you had to paint the crew and sub assemblies before putting the whole lot together. I have a carrier somewhere in my stash. I'll have to dig it out.
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 01:40 AM UTC
Hi Pat,

Thanks for dropping in. It's an interesting build. I mostly build and paint in sub sections anyway, but having to added the crew etc was unusual. With some of Graham's new stowage although this is the old kit I hope it will pass muster.

The new tracks Graham does for his carrier conversions are really excellent.

Cheers

Al
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 04:53 PM UTC
Hey Al,
That's really coming along !
I love the weld beads on the wading trunk's joints !!
Looking forward to seeing the finished product with the NSR markings !!!
Cheers

jjumbo
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 08:12 PM UTC
Morning John,

The main part of the build is now done and the decals are on. It looks like I've failed though in my objective!! The 'welds' are actually ment to be the mastic sealing that they used over the joins and to seal everywhere they could think off lol, lol.

Some updates later if the light is good.

Cheers

Al

youngc
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 2,166 posts
Armorama: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 09:53 PM UTC
Don't worry Alan, I knew what the 'welds' really were! I can't wait to see the final diorama (?) with all this stuff in it! Do you have a main thread somewhere?

I also know how you feel, when no-one replies to your posts. Sometimes I can see that 1000 people have looked at a post, but only a handful bother to give feedback, praise or critique. A few encouraging words go a long way guys, especially if the person has taken the time to build, take pictures and then post the results.

Keep it up Al,
Chas
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:00 AM UTC
Hi Chas,

The main thread on the boat loads is running over on Shipwrights

https://archive.kitmaker.net/forums/111146&page=1

Thanks for the feedback, I ran this one here as it's armour and I did one on the figs too but got little in the way of feedback.

The overall project is also on Shipwrights although it was posted a long time ago and is probably lost in the mists of time.

I posted an over view over on Mil Mod recently so that would give you an outline although again I have pulished the idea here some time ago.

http://www.militarymodelling.com/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=5041&V=6&SP=

Thanks for looking, off to try and get some progress pics.

Cheers

Al
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 12:31 AM UTC
Hi Folks,

Some updates: I decided to mkae this a carrier from 3rd Canadian Infantry Division, 5th Canadian Infantry Brigade, Headquarters and Defence Platoon as it's landing later than the North Shore Regiment and might be a bit mor eplausable. The second one will be a North Shore Carrier though.

Still awaiting the stowage but a bit more done, I have a figure in mind for the commander but I haven't purchased him yet lol.

last 3 are with the flash I'm afraid

Al

jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 03:02 AM UTC
Hey Al,
I definitely need new glasses, I could have sworn those were welds you'd done !!
"Welds" or mastic coating, whatever..... they look great !!
Your last posting however twigged something in my sleep deprived brain (we just started DST) and got me digging through my meager reference sources.
According to what I could find out, the 5th Canadian Infantry Brigade was the 2nd Senior Brigade of the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division, not the 3rd CID.
The 5th CIB consisted of the Black Watch of Canada (Royal Highland Regiment), Le Regiment de Maisonneuve and the Calgary Regiment.
The 3rd CID was part of the II Canadian Corps and the Prince Edward Island Light Horse were the Defence Company .
Am I just mistaken or sleepy ???
Cheers

jjumbo
AlanL
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 04:05 AM UTC
Hi John,

I'm using The Canadian Soldier as my reference and according to them 3rd Canadian Infantry Division had 3 Brigades, 4th 5th and 6th Canadian Infantry. Brigades

5th Canadian Infantry Brigade consisted of (87) Headquarter and Defence Platoon (60) The Queens's Own Rifles of Canada, (61) Le Regimentde la Chaudiere and (62) The North Shore (New Brunswick) Regiment.

So I asume you're sleepy or the book is wrong lol, lol.

Cheers

Al
jjumbo
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Sunday, March 09, 2008 - 08:06 AM UTC
Hey Alan,

Somethings not quite right.
I've been using my copies of "A Canadian's Guide to the Battlefields of Northwest Europe" and "A Canadian's Guide to the Battlefields of Normandy".
Both books were written by Terry Copp for The Canadian Battle of Normandy Foundation and The Laurier Centre for Military Strategic and Disarmament Studies.
The LCMSDS is supported by the Canadian Department of National Defence and Wilfrid Laurier University.
Terry Copp was Professor and Chair of History at WLU in Waterloo, Ontario when he wrote these books.
He also wrote a book called "The Brigade: The 5th Canadian Infantry Brigade 1939-1945 , co-authored 5 volumes of "The Maple Leaf Route" series and has written extensively on the Canadian military in WW II.

And here's what Wikipedia has on it's site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Canadian_Infantry_Division

I'm not sure what The Canadian Soldier has posted but "It don't sound right" !
Cheers

John aka jjumbo
 _GOTOTOP