Campaigns
Where Armorama group builds can be discussed, organized, and updates posted.
Shermans!
WARLORD
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 1,923 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 09:14 PM UTC
And from now on you can start your builds.

Thanks to MarkM this thread is sticked and gallery is open (thank you, Mark).
Here is the gallery:

GALLERY

HAVE FUN!

endrju007
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Podkarpackie, Poland
KitMaker: 2,435 posts
Armorama: 1,256 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 03, 2008 - 11:52 PM UTC
Another campaign starts (I’m still building my entries for Broders of Fatherland and Blitzkrieg campaigns, so I’ll start my Sherman right after finishing that entries).
I’m going to build one fourteen M4A2 Shermans from C Company 1st Marine Tank Battalion that took part in the assault on Tarawa atoll in November ’43.

I did not decide yet which one I’ll build – one of ten tanks that reached the beach, or one of these less fortunate… I'm also thinking of another small diorama (time is the most critical factor here).

Andrzej
tuff13
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 104 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 12:37 AM UTC
ILL be building the 1/35 TAM35250 M4A3 Sherman,one that Ive had in my collection for alomg time....
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 4,002 posts
Armorama: 2,947 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 01:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Could some of the Sherman experts out there help me with this version of the Sherman. It seems to be a M4A1, but a late version of the M4A1 due to the broader gun mantlet. Am I right? Does anybody know where these were used? Pacific? Italy?

Hey Jesper. This appears to be an M4A1, but the box art is a mish-mash of early and late features...
It shows a guntube travel lock, (later),
No applique armour plate on the hull sides or turret cheek (earlier),
M34A1 mantlet (later)
hull siren and guard style used on later 76mm M4A1s
Gunners protective periscope housing (not seen on M4A1 75mm tanks)
Upswept return roller arms on the suspension (76mm tanks again)

As this is only the box art, it may not accurately represent what it contains...

To help, if you want a NWE tank (Normandy landings onwards) then you can have the refitted mid/late production which would/could have the hull and turret applique armour plate, the metal bar siren guard, no gunner's periscope housing, straight return roller arms, periscope guards, maybe the travel lock (These would also apply for Pacific Shermans, although many were the hybrid, which had the cast front with large hatches, fitted to a welded M4 hull.)
For an Italian theatre M4A1 you can leave off the periscope guards, applique armour (as shown on the boxart) travel lock, siren guard (you can attach the siren to the left fender, its original location) early style M3 bogey housings with no return roller arms at all, lke the Lee or Grant) Even an ex Italian theatre tank serving in the NWE coming up from Operation Dragoon would maintain these original fittings, and were quite easy to pick in archive photos.
Sorry for the ramble! I think if you show us some shots of the contents we can weed out whether what you have is what you want
Brad
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 05:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

put me in coach,i'm ready to play !!!

I will be building Tamiya's 1/48 Firefly,I will be adding Legends Stowage Kit.Those kits go together so nice.
JeepLC
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 510 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 09:09 AM UTC
Count me in with a Dragon Battle of the Bulge M4. I'm going to go OOB on this one because Dragon included quite a few goodies! I am going to add some stowage I have in my stash and some homemade hillbilly armor.

-Mike

relative example here:

Jumpmaster1a
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 108 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Friday, April 04, 2008 - 12:26 PM UTC
I hope to enter my M4A3(76)W medium tank in markings of the 761st Tank Battalion (Black Panthers) for this campaign. I've already started her and will try to keep y'all updated, as progress is made. Best wishes to all in their efforts! Dave
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 04:13 AM UTC
Here's my entry for the campaign.

I've already started on the suspension components. As this is only my second build after an almost nine year absence from the hobby I will probably do an OOB.

Cheers
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 05, 2008 - 07:14 AM UTC
Things are progressing relatively simple with my 1/72 Sherman M4A1. A nice little engine is included in the kit, but I plan to close up the engine compartment anyway.

More to follow soon.

stoney
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 480 posts
Armorama: 399 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 04:30 AM UTC
I'm in with a M4A4 kitbash from the DML firefly and the sherman III, should be fun.
MVisser
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,679 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 05:24 AM UTC
My entry will be the Dragon M4A1 76w Sherman

I'll add some extra spare track armor on it.

Succes to all
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, April 06, 2008 - 07:48 PM UTC
I finished construction on my little ECSI/Italeri 1/72 Sherman M4A1. Next is some light mud to the lower hull and suspension. I am normally an 1/35 builder, so I need to be careful not to overdo it in this small scale.

More to follow....

Warsawpact
Visit this Community
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 321 posts
Armorama: 273 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008 - 01:15 AM UTC
Im starting to have some serious doubts on my DML Firefly VC build. I´ve just finished the turret and i must say that fitting is not what i´ve expected.....especially from a DML kit. this kit is shaping up to be a real pig of a kit.
There was a section of the lower-back par tof the turret that was......not there. I dont know how to explain this so i took some pics of it. I had to smear some tamiya putty and a second layer whit GW´s Greenstuff to fill up the massive gap and recreate the propper turret shape. And the "radio thing" that is supposed to right behind the commanders hatch was missing!!!
Here´s some pics of my progress.

See what i meen? At first i thought that it might have been a deliberately done to enable the turre to somehow swivel around easier, but even whit my "fix" it swivells around perfectly. I havent seen any VC pics that it should be like this. Or am i wrong?

Christian
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Monday, April 07, 2008 - 08:09 PM UTC
Time to get started

Gathering information for my M32....anyone who knows some good reference sites/picture galleries? (so for the M32, based on the welded M4 Sherman hull, not the cast one).

Also, does anyone know an interior for the M4A3 76mm? (I'll probably use oneof the 1/35 Dragon kits). I hope to complete two Shermans for this campaign...

Martin
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 05:54 AM UTC
Well, I'm slowly progressing with the Sherman's suspension. Being 1/72 scale I am amazed at the number of parts to build one bogie unit! There are eight parts to each unit and boy are a few of them small. Here is one complete unit and two partials.

The next image is of the completed assembly and two sub components of it. Both items to the left are made up of two parts each. As for scale, the squares on the cutting mat are 1 inch (25.4 mm) across and the dots are spaced 1/32 of an inch apart.

As of this posting I have four completed units, one partial and one still on the tree.

Cheers!
Jumpmaster1a
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 108 posts
Armorama: 102 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 11:57 AM UTC
Hey guys! I ran into a stall on my 761st project, so I added some pics of Sherman projects I've gotten started/finished. Thanks for looking! Dave
WARLORD
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 1,923 posts
Armorama: 868 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 08:08 PM UTC
And I'm going to build Dragon's 1/35 Sherman Firefly Ic Hybrid Hull
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Armorama: 4,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 - 09:31 PM UTC
For anyone who hasn't decided on their entry here's an idea.
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/3682&mode=&order=0
I'll be doing an M4A3E8 myself
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 10:05 AM UTC
I have bought the Tamiya M4A3 with 105 mm Howitzer as my second entry into this campaign. I will start building after I have finished the Italeri 1/72 M4A1 I am currently working on.

More to follow...
Rommek
Visit this Community
Wroclaw, Poland
KitMaker: 26 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 09, 2008 - 10:32 AM UTC
HI there!!
here i post progress on my 1:72 Sherman V from Dragon.
It will be placed on a dio accompanied by Sherman V ARV, a conversion of Dragon 7311 kit!

Cheers!!
Maciek
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 - 02:10 AM UTC
Hi all,

To repeat my previous question:

Who knows any 1/35 interiors available for M4A3 Shermans? Or would the CMK M4 Interior fit a M4A3 as well? I assume not but perhaps its fairly accurate...

http://modelingmadness.com/reviews/misc/vehicles/us/garciasherman.htm

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/cmk/cmk3026.htm

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/news/697

Check out this thread as well for a nice Sherman with interior...

http://planetarmor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4950

Another question

Shermans were sometimes equiped with armour recovered from knocked out Shermans and Panthers. A Sherman front armour plate can be welded on another Sherman right away, but how about Panther armour? I Wonder where this was used? Was it cut to fit the turret, or the lower glacis of the Sherman?

Thanks,
Martin
CaptainA
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 3,117 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 - 11:12 AM UTC
I just popped out the DML Battle of the Bulge kit and started cleaning up the wheels. I will be doing Thunderbolt IV or VI. It is at Fort Knox, parked next to the Commissary, So I need to make a road trip there. I will be doing a OOB build on this one. Looks like a great kit so far.
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 577 posts
Armorama: 446 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 - 12:22 PM UTC
I am building a M4A1 mid out of various parts in my spare parts drawers/ boxes. Put a TTW upper on a Dragon lower hull. So far so good right. No! Looked at the rear hull overhang, did some measuring, its about 3/32" to SHORT!! Squared up the back end added sytrene and a ton of putty and... More to follow.
Simple build... NOT!

I will be back.

Doug
MVisser
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,679 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Friday, April 11, 2008 - 09:15 PM UTC
Hi All,

I've got a new beauty for this campagne

YESSSSSSS I'm so happy.

@ Martin:

You can't put a M4 interior into a M4A3, the transmission is differend aswell for some other details.

The additional armor from other shermans where indeed cut to fit the front or turret.
Mainly on M4A3 (76)w and M4A3E8 shermans.

I hope it helps.

Martin
Phantom2
Visit this Community
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 708 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 03:06 AM UTC
Hi all!

Seems like this wingnut has to build another ground target!

I´ll jump in this Campaign with the new HobbyBoss M4 High Speed Tractor.

http://www.moduni.de/popup_image_script.php/IID/93796

It´s supposed to be toting a Long Tom cannon from AFV Club!

http://www.moduni.de/popup_image_script.php/IID/90734

I have the Tractor on order, but have not recieved it yet.
Guess I´ll have to build the cannon first!

Now I´m signing up!

See ´ya later!

Stefan E