_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
El Alamein Shermans
ThomasB
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 762 posts
Armorama: 323 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 03:52 AM UTC
I would like to build some El Alamein Shermans, and got some questions. If everything goes to plan I will build a Mk II and Mk III, but I'm not 100% sure on what kits to use.

The Mk III should be simple, just using Dragons MkIII kit, assuming it's ok. But the prolem is the Mk II, I guess that it can't be built straight out of the box, but what kit to use, and what conversation kit to use?

Thankful for answers to this question.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 03:59 AM UTC
This thread should help you out

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/112455&page=1

Currently, no direct vision hull of the M4A1 or M4A2 exist. Both are available in resin (Formations, CMD, TWS)
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 06:14 AM UTC
Hi Thomes,

I haven't build the Mk III yet, but as Roy says the Formations DV Hull is a good one for the Mk II. You could use the Tasca M4A1 as a donor kit.

Here's a Pinki I did based on the Formations upper hull, Dragon Lower Hull and a Tamiya turret. I used AFV Club tracks.

British Sherman Tanks by Dennis Oliver is a good reference and I based the Pinki on one in Ospreys Modelling Manual m4 Sherman.

Enjoy the build.

Al
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Armorama: 280 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 06:38 AM UTC
The Dragon mk111 is a great kit just finnished mine loved doing it all you need in the box
ALBOWIE
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 1,605 posts
Armorama: 1,565 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 02, 2008 - 12:29 PM UTC
Ok, the guys have given you the right info on the Formations M4A1 DV. Without a doubt the best of the M4A1 conversions to a DV Hull.

The Sherman III for El Alamein can be one of two types but both are direct vision thuis ruling out the DML Sherman Three OOB.
The earliest issue had M3 bogies (as did ALL the M4A1 DV's) and 3 piece nose. The second issue had early M4 Bogies and a 1 piece nose. Again they were all DV hulls up unti lthe final Tunisian battles where non DV Sherman III hulls appear in the Brit 1st Army. In all likelihood the non DV M4A2 were also issued to 8th Army units and were definately issued to Theatrelevel formations refitting in Syria (9AB as depicted in the DML Sher III kit)

Formations also offer a Sherman III DV hull so you can get it all in house. The DML Sherman III is a great donor kit but the sunshade rails are incorrectly depicted in the kit with no mounting brackets (easily made from brass strip or plastic square tube etc.

I would suggest getting a copy of "The New Breed" which is reviewed on this site as it has all the info with pics and colour plates to steer you through the maze of markings etc. A lot of the Shermans were issued to Multiple units through battlefield attrition/repair and sport some seriously interesting markings.
Whoever coined the phrase that shermans were boring as they are only in OD is in for a rude shock when faced with the artork in that book.
Alternate refernces are Concords British Sherman and Ospreys Sherman In british Service and British Tanks in NA (although a lot of the captions are incorrect depicting the wrong variants of Sherman.
CHeers
Al
ThomasB
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 762 posts
Armorama: 323 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 12:40 PM UTC
Sorry for bringing up and old thread, but I'm on my way to buy the Formations M4A1 DV-hull and one thing struck me. How do I then make the tank British, if you understand my question.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 08:04 PM UTC
Hi Thomas.

The main things you need to look out for in an early M4A1 DV or Sherman Mk II as the British called it are the addition of the early Blanket Box on the rear of the turret, the addition of side rails and sand shields and the tool arrangement on the rear of the tank.

How much additional work you will need to do depends on the donor kit you use. They had the early gun mantle too and that odd can holder on the front fender on the RHS.

Unlike later British Tanks they carried the .50 cal as well.

For tracks you need the T41s (double check that) I used the AFV Club indi set but be warned they only provide enough pads for each track so be careful not to loose one lol, lol. There was a lot of carpet searching during the build!!

They all had the M3 early boggies. The Mk III should make a good donor kit as it already is kitted up as a British Tank so there souldn't be too much additional stuff needed and comes with the No 19 radio set as well I believe although I haven't opened the box on that one yet.

Would hightly recommend The New Breed as Al says or alternatively Codename Swallow both by Dennis Oliver. What's important is to decide on the time frame as there are variations after Alamein.

There are lots of good reference pics on IWM web site and Osprey's Modelling Manual on the M4 Sherman has a good build guide for the early M4A1 DV.

This is a reasonably accurate pic of the tools layout. They also carried 6 spare track links and most are seen with a jerrycan on the rear.

Hope this helps

Alan
 _GOTOTOP