_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Wire for latches
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 08:16 AM UTC
I just got a marvelous plate type device from Lucky Models that you insert wire in and bend to form a grab handle or infantry rail. Very nice. My challenge is to find the recommended .3mm or .2mm X50 X1 copper wire. I can figure out the .3mm or .2mm, but what does the 50x 1 requirement signify? Also, if you can recommend a supplier I would be grateful.
thanks
DJ
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 02:30 PM UTC
Hi DJ,
I got one of these too and I think it's fantastic! It's so quick and easy to use and I get identical results every time. It's hard to believe, but for $3.95 it does the same thing as the $50 Grabhandler!
Supplier for the wire - the craft section of Wal-Mart, brass beading wire of many diameters!
Oh, and I have no clue what those other numbers are for, but since I'm cranking out perfect handles, who cares?
Best,
Matt
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 02:35 PM UTC
Oh, and for anyone who would like to buy one of these ingenious little tools, it's the Griffon Model # GT001, Workable Hinges & Handles Folding Tool. I highly recommend it! It's very simple and pretty amazing!
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 03:45 PM UTC
I have one also, and also think it works great so far.
Any problems I've had were my own making, and that comes with old age and shaking more than a few years ago.

JD for the wire, I just use what I get from scrap controllers, coils, and motors from work, and what ever fits in a hole is close enough for me.

I did try the hinge making part, but not being a photo etched wizard, it's been a slow go and a few destroyed parts, I never realized the German Ammo Cans had such small hinges that break off if you try bending and straightening them too often. But I keep trying. I did replace the soft wire that came with it with much stiffer stainless steel wire I had on hand. Again, what ever fit through the holes is close enough for me.

dispatcher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 396 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 04:12 PM UTC
Gents, a picture of that device would be worth a thousand words or more.
Joe
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 04:37 PM UTC
Griffon Model # GT001, Workable Hinges & Handles Folding Tool -

http://www.luckymodel.com/scale.aspx?item_no=GRM-GT001 has it for $3.29 with free shipping!!!!!!!! You couldn't ask for a better deal unless I bought it FOR you!
dispatcher
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 396 posts
Armorama: 325 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 04:52 PM UTC
Matt, thanks for posting a picture. I'll have to look over one of those next time I'm in a real hobby shop.
Joe
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 505 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 06:12 PM UTC
Heres a conversion chart for wire gauges
wire gauge conversion
It looks like the .3mm = 28gauge and the .2mm = 32 gauge if I'm reading this thing correctly.
I found both 28 and 32 gauge wire at Micheal's in their bead supplies.

-Bruce
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 08:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

JD for the wire, I just use what I get from scrap controllers, coils, and motors from work, and what ever fits in a hole is close enough for me.
...Again, what ever fit through the holes is close enough for me.

A big +1.

Old Tamiya motors are still a good source of wire for me, as is a roll of armature wire I remember my dad had in his tool box 35 years ago. I don't think it'll ever run out.

ETA: I had not heard of this tool before. It LOOKS as if it would be great for doing the disintegrating metal link for .50 ammo. Anyone tried it yet?
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 12:36 AM UTC
My friends-- many thanks for your responses. If you have not taken a look at this marvelous items, I recommend you consult the Lucky Model site. Very inexpensive and very handy. I also appreciate the advise on the wire . The best source is a Michael's type place that sell wire for costume jewelry.
thanks again
DJ
Grifter
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
Armorama: 425 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 05:31 AM UTC
Can you explain how you use that tool to make different sizes of handles? I must be missing something but I don't immediately see how it works, I feel stupid.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 08:16 AM UTC
Greg-- refer to Matt's two photos. When you get the set of two plates, you bend the side up, insert the wire (which is very flexible) into one hole then at the desired length into a corresponding recepticle. A little practice but it beats the hell out of my grabber....
DJ
 _GOTOTOP