_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Another Sd.Kfz 7 Photo Report
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 07:48 PM UTC
Once again, Trumpeter's U.S. Importer has sent us images of 1514 - German Sdkfz.7 8-Ton Halftrack, (Early Version). This time however, the images are of the test model built and painted. The full photo-report can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

flakgunner
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 657 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 - 11:36 PM UTC
hey,
Thanks for the updated pics,Jim. looks like it's going to be quite a impressive model.

Joe
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 02:11 AM UTC
Thanks for the images Jim. Looks pretty nice built up. Im definately no expert on this model (or any model for that matter) but feel it would be great if Trumpeter ..... when they are already including etched pieces .... would include rifle clasps in etched format as well. Those in the built kit look very bulky and stand out a lot on the shown model. Im sure they may be other parts that can be improved upon .... but these are so obvious, it´ll becaome almost necessary to buy some AM for! Otherwise it looks good to go. Just my €0.002!
Bodeen
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,744 posts
Armorama: 1,359 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 05:15 PM UTC
I've ordered mine. Thanks for the shots.

Jeff
t34-85
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 232 posts
Armorama: 230 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 10:22 PM UTC
As with the 150-mm and 105-mm guns, you can bet that the Dragon kit will be the better one.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 11:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As with the 150-mm and 105-mm guns, you can bet that the Dragon kit will be the better one.

Of Course! Didn't they already tell us that? Even Hiroshi-Clown-San keeps telling us that, so undoubtedly it'll be the best

Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:06 AM UTC
The latest missives from the parallel world inhabited by the incredible blogging man have been posted on the Axis DG on ML. Maybe he's one of the mighty men in blue who are guarding the Olympic torch too.

I'd just love to read his explanation of how they -up the IS-2 so badly. Maybe we will find out if the premium edition appears with all the old flaws carefully preserved.

David
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 12:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The latest missives from the parallel world inhabited by the incredible blogging man have been posted on the Axis DG on ML

That's the one which which described Noodle-Brain as having mellowed?

Inhabitants of a 'Parallel World' could also describe some of the apologists for Noodle-Brain...
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
Armorama: 2,764 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 09:21 AM UTC
i thought it was in 72'nd until i read the title properly!
have always liked this beast. the only time i ever thought to myself that i didnt like it was when it ran over the poor kubelwagen in the dirty dozen!
thanks jim, i look forward to summing the two up in the future and more than likely dishing out for one!
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 11:03 AM UTC
t34-85 while I accept that Dragon have raised the bar as regards this hobby and injection moulded plastic, they are by no means the be and end all of the hobby. How anyone can say there product will be better when all they have released to date is some box art and a cameo is beyond me.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 08:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

while I accept that Dragon have raised the bar as regards this hobby and injection moulded plastic, they are by no means the be and end all of the hobby. How anyone can say there product will be better when all they have released to date is some box art and a cameo is beyond me.

Well, in fairness, they HAVE now released the box-art which is very impressive.

I'd like to refer the previous poster (T34/85) to the comparison reviews which have been published on Tristar vs. DML - the former, when they've covered the same vehicle as DML have won hands down...

Since Trumpeter actually released images (of the actual kit) and DML haven't released anything whatsoever (apart from rhetoric) I don't know where all the enthusiasm for Dragon's kit comes from (apart from the usual suspects that is)...
t34-85
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 09:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

while I accept that Dragon have raised the bar as regards this hobby and injection moulded plastic, they are by no means the be and end all of the hobby. How anyone can say there product will be better when all they have released to date is some box art and a cameo is beyond me.

Well, in fairness, they HAVE now released the box-art which is very impressive.

I'd like to refer the previous poster (T34/85) to the comparison reviews which have been published on Tristar vs. DML - the former, when they've covered the same vehicle as DML have won hands down...

Since Trumpeter actually released images (of the actual kit) and DML haven't released anything whatsoever (apart from rhetoric) I don't know where all the enthusiasm for Dragon's kit comes from (apart from the usual suspects that is)...

First of all, I have absolutely no stake in either Dragon or Trumpeter. I simply stated an opinion based on the comparison of already released competing products. I've yet to see a case where Trumpeter bested Dragon. This is not my opinion only and if you can prove me wrong, by all means do it, instead of just mocking me for posting something you disagree with. BTW, despite your obvious attempt at distorting my words, I've never said that Dragon is the absolute best, in fact I think Tristar's Pz.IV's are more accurate than their Dragon counterparts, even though you pay the price when you start counting the parts on the sprues, especially the incredibly tiny ones you need to glue to your tank with the sprue attached (as per instructions) and then clip it.
t34-85
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 09:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

t34-85 while I accept that Dragon have raised the bar as regards this hobby and injection moulded plastic, they are by no means the be and end all of the hobby.

Can you please show me exactly where and when I EVER said that?
Alternatively, you could apologize for distorting my words, although I'm not really counting on it.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 09:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You can bet that the Dragon kit will be the better one.

This implies that regardless of what is finally released by both companies (assuming both companies do release a kit of this vehicle) Dragon’s offering will be superior. That Implication/assumption can only be made from 3 pieces of information available

1. Dragon’s past releases
2. A cameo
3. Box art

None of these pieces of information would make me bet on anything (be it Dragon, Trumpeter, or anyone else for that matter), when/if both of these companies release a kit then you, me and everyone else will be in a position to make a judgement on what is released.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 10:06 PM UTC
Whether the DML or Trumpeter release will be the best is a moot point - what IS unarguable, is the fact that the first reviews (of Trumpeter's) will be out in around 3 weeks.

What is also clear (rhetoric apart) is an issue which has deeply annoyed many people, is what seems to be an officially sanctioned campaign which is (on a daily basis) listing (thanks to Noodle-Brain) the 'errors' in Trumpeter's kit. Rather than let their own product argue it's case (oh, that's right, they've only got box-art) there's a carefully orchestrated campaign which some are taking as gospel. Some idiots are even repeating it on various forums such as 'the Trump kit is based on the old Tamiya one'....
t34-85
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 07:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This implies that regardless of what is finally released by both companies (assuming both companies do release a kit of this vehicle) Dragon’s offering will be superior.

It will be superior to Trumpeter's. There is a clear track record of that. I asked you to show me an instance where Trumpeter was the better of two competing products.

Needless to say, crickets...
t34-85
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 07:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Whether the DML or Trumpeter release will be the best is a moot point

No, it's not. I'm still waiting for you to provide evidence of Trumpeter besting Dragon on a competing product. Oh yes, you can't, so that's why it's a "moot" point...
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No, it's not. I'm still waiting for you to provide evidence of Trumpeter besting Dragon on a competing product. Oh yes, you can't, so that's why it's a "moot" point...

Dare one mention (roll of drums) ........ Railguns?
whittman181
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 646 posts
Armorama: 473 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 08:52 AM UTC
Seems kind of pointless to argue , why not wait for both to come out because you never know Bob
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 08:57 AM UTC
I'm sorry I have to say this, but this is a really childish argument.

If you want to compare, then at least compare between two actual kits that exist. Also, compare between two kits that cost pretty much the same.

As for people posting right away putting down the Trump kit and saying that they'll just wait for Dragon's offering. Well, wait on... who cares? It's so childish to post here sayin "I don't want to buy this kit. I'd rather buy that kit".... again, who cares?

Sorry, but some people need to grow up.

I know I'll get cussed at, but as I said... who cares? Grow up people!

Oh... also... like Jim said, the Trump Railgun kits are better.

Also.. Trump's 1/32 and 1/48 aircraft kits are a lot better than the couple of aircraft kits that Dragon has to offer.

I'd like to see Dragon get the guts to try something like the Faun or Maz transporters, and see how much they would cost.

Oh, hell... you got me into your silly argument!!!!!!!!!
H_Ackermans
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 2,229 posts
Armorama: 2,221 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:33 AM UTC
Isn't DML's track-record one of improvement on their kits after they are released?

And isn't DML's one of stuffing the box with oodles of goodies?

I think on those 2 points, DML certainly deserves some fair credit, they DO actually improve their kits.

Let's compare a DML Tiger-B to oooow... the Tamiya one... with it's ever existing symmetrical turret, both versions.

Anyway, getting back to the 7 at hand, my first impression based on these pics is one of it is a whole lot better than the other 7, Tamiya's, which is no suprise, 30 years can do that.

But I must say, some of the finer detail looks incredibly bulky. The bolts on the wheelarch fronts are IMO oversized, the clasps for the rifles are too thick too.

Then there's the framework at the back, again, it looks way too thick to be in scale.

Okay, it is still not THE kit we will get in the box, so refinements can still be made, which I am sure they will do, but so far, these are the areas that make me a bit less enthusiastic about the Trump 7.

Now, DML is coming with a Smart Kit 7, and you know what Smart Kit means, very ingenious molding! I got a couple of Panther-Gs to show that they can pull amazing things out of a mold, and especially THIN parts.

Now, that in no way garantees that DML's 7 will be superior, since not one single piece of plastic has been shown.

However, I must admit, I'm looking forward to the DML 7 more than the Trump 7 purely because the pics are somewhat disappointing in those areas.

This all is just my opinion.
t34-85
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 10:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dare one mention (roll of drums) ........ Railguns?

Is that the best you can do?
When were the railguns released?
Oh yes, I suppose Tamiya kits were so much better than Dragon's 20 years ago...

Come on, be honest, which one would you pick, Dragon or Trumpeter?

- Dicker Max
- 150mm howitzer
- 105mm K18
- Early Pz.IV (hull)
- Pz.IV/105mm SPG dismountable monstrosity

These are all releases within the last year or so. While I was not actually comparing anything, my point was that there is sufficient evidence (track record) to **EXPECT** that Dragon will do better with the SdKfz.7, but then again, when you're calling one of Dragon's pattern makers a "clown" you're obviously showing your bias (I'm afraid we now know how credible an "impartial" your reviews are.) Oh, and BTW, an "editor" is not supposed to badmouth people in the industry. I'm afraid it reflects badly on Armorama and I've just rethought my decision to start contributing to this site. And before you discount my work just because I dared to offer a different opinion, I've built models for over 40 years, I am an IPMS national winner and I have a pretty good experience writing articles for magazines and the net. While I may not be the best modeler in America, I'm pretty sure a lot of people could find my contributions useful.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:11 AM UTC
Someone needs to get a life and get some perspective on things.

I don't think I ever heard Jim badmouth a company before.

Why didn't you mention aircraft? Or do you consider them a lesser species?!!!

Have fun, hon...
t34-85
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

His words, verbatim:

"Even Hiroshi-Clown-San keeps telling us that, so undoubtedly it'll be the best"

That is not how the editor of a serious publication behaves.
But feel free to ignore reality.
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2008 - 11:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

His words, verbatim:

"Even Hiroshi-Clown-San keeps telling us that, so undoubtedly it'll be the best"

That is not how the editor of a serious publication behaves.
But feel free to ignore reality.

Isn't that the stupid blogger that appears on the Dragon Forum he's referring to ?

I've never heard it mentioned he was an actual employee of Dragon's?
 _GOTOTOP