_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
FEATURE
AMPS 2008 Photo Report
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 03:05 AM UTC

AMPS held their annual International Convention in Auburn Indiana this year and I was able to attend and take some pictures of the great work on display.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 03:14 AM UTC
Great photos, Shaun...

How did the judging go?
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 05:04 AM UTC
They told us we would be better modelers if we judged. I went home Friday and took another look at my dioramas that did well in IPMS contests and found a myriad of issues I would fix before I took them to an AMPS show.
Judged with Danny Egin and learned a lot from him too.

Shaun
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 06:48 AM UTC
Nice photo show.
Hope you had a good time.
Glad to here you had a good time, and enjoyed judging.
wbill76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,425 posts
Armorama: 4,659 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 07:25 AM UTC
Some nice work on display there Shaun, thanks for taking the time to photograph and report! I hear you about judging, totally changes your view on things from both a competition stand-point as well as appreciation for the "little things" that matter in the end.
TB2
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 361 posts
Armorama: 279 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 07:49 AM UTC
OMG I'd kill to go to an AMPS show, but the distance is a factor for me (Toronto, Ontario Canada). Is it always in the same place or does it move around from year to year?
I'd get totally smoked if I were to compete, but at the same time as Shaun has said I think it would be a tremendous learning experience. Great chance to pick up info whether you compete or just build for yourself.
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 01:04 PM UTC
Hi Barry: There's always a big Canadian contingent and this year was no exception. Plenty of Canadians (P Roberts, S McCrorie, C Rothman, S Dunnage, H Low, M Steacy, D Browne, E Kubiak, R Lebert, Scott & Kim Taylor, M Duguay -- I'm sure I'm missing others). The Best of Show, Judges Choice winner and the newest AMPS Master is Steven Milstone-Turner.

The show used to be confined to Maryland but the show will be travelling around. Next year will be back in MD for the last time due to the closing of the Ordnance museum there.

Hope you can make it sometime.

Roy
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 01:08 PM UTC
Shaun

Thanks for the pics It still surprises me I won a silver For those who have never been to an AMPS Nationals show,go You won't regret it
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 02:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The show used to be confined to Maryland but the show will be travelling around. Next year will be back in MD for the last time due to the closing of the Ordnance museum there.

WOW, I had no idea it was 'based' in MD. Roy, could you tell me when and where (if you have any idea) will this last show in MD be? I would absulutely LOVE to attend!

By the way, the models on display are absoulutely stunning, ALL OF THEM!!!

Thanks,

Rob
ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 04:06 AM UTC
AMPS International Show 2009
April 17-18, 2009
Havre de Grace Community center
Havre de Grace, MD
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Armorama: 1,431 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 07:42 AM UTC
Excellent, thanks!!

Will be there for sure!

Rob
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Friday, April 18, 2008 - 06:53 PM UTC
Hi Shaun. Really nice photographs. Thanks for taking the time to post and share. I’ve been looking at a lot of these show photographs lately for some inspiration, and its great to get the opportunity to see these events from all over the world.
I particularly liked the vignettes of the Russians climbing up on the cut off Tiger and attacking the crew, and also the shadowbox of a few Germans sitting in the open doors of a rail-wagon. As well as being great builds, they really have an imaginative setting.
Was an “apprentice” judge last year and judged for the first time this year myself, and enjoyed the experience. Would definitely recommend it.

I read an interesting comment last night on IPMS Stockholm, when these show images were being discussed. The AMPS images appear to differ from other shows, especially from the European shows, where the models were considered all generally clean .... very little scratching, chipping and the weathering is toned down much more. Very interesting point, and something I confirmed for myself while looking through these images. It’s interesting to see what modellers turn out, and the influences their peers and similar previous shows have had.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 01:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

shadowbox of a few Germans sitting in the open doors of a rail-wagon

I am almost 90% certain those figures were scratchbuilt, which makes it all that much more impressive. The rail car had at least three other figures in, two in bunks and a guy shaving. Interior was packed. Title was "Stalingrad Express." Interior had at least three lights in it too.
There was some "well worn" armor, too. Just took pictures of what caught my eye. It is by no means a representative sample.

Shaun
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 04:21 AM UTC
Now if we could get a batch of photos of the Armorama award winner, that would make an old man a little less grumpy.
 _GOTOTOP