_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
NEWS
Trumpeter 203mm Gun: First Images
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 01:44 PM UTC
In a nice little late-night report, the News desk brings you images of Trumpeter's Soviet Tracked 203mm Artillery Piece in 1/35th scale. Not exactly the Late Show with Conan O' Brian but there again he's better paid.. Meanwhile, the first images of this spectacular release can be seen:

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

cach7
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 444 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 02:25 PM UTC
Thats cool!!! Wheres Dragons box art..............
whittman181
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 646 posts
Armorama: 473 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 02:39 PM UTC
What would you tow that monster with???? an IS2??? Definetly pick one up , have to do some overtime
corsutton
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 511 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 02:54 PM UTC
Ok, I gotta be stupid but I'm curious. Whats the point of the tracks on a piece of towed equipment? If its being pulled by something wouldn't wheels make it pull easier? I would think the weight of tracks alone would put a burden on what ever is dragging it along.
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
Armorama: 1,709 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 02:59 PM UTC
Ever since I saw the documentaries about the battle of Berlin, I wanted to build this gun. Cudos to Trumpeter.
cach7
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 444 posts
Armorama: 439 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 03:15 PM UTC
Andras, Is that when the Russians where firing this gun point bank into buildings???
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 06:26 PM UTC
Looks great, especially the rifling in the barrel, something looks odd about the top of the tracks but I can’t put my finger on what it is. I will leave that answer to the experts. All in all it’s a great model that I am sure will be popular.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 07:18 PM UTC
A very interesting subject

As far as I'm concerned, Trumpeter is the best company these days for imagination, diversity of subjects, courage... and keeping prices reasonable.
Shermaniac
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 08:31 PM UTC
OUTSTANDING!
This is a must for any WWII modeller, Nice one Trumpeter
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 08:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ok, I gotta be stupid but I'm curious. Whats the point of the tracks on a piece of towed equipment? If its being pulled by something wouldn't wheels make it pull easier? I would think the weight of tracks alone would put a burden on what ever is dragging it along.

I'm not sure but I guess the gun had it's own little engine and could drive short distances, to relocate, get a better firing position etc. Would come in handy because of it's weight where it would be hard to move the gun with a prime mover all the time...especially when used as an assault weapon during urban battles like in Berlin. But again, that's my guess, not sure about it.

There was a wheelded version too btw.

Quoted Text

Andras, Is that when the Russians where firing this gun point bank into buildings???

That's this gun yes

Great news, will do good in i.e. a Berlin diorama
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 915 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 - 11:58 PM UTC

Simply wicked

This is great news .

Kelley
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 1,966 posts
Armorama: 1,635 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 12:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The tracks were to reduce the ground pressure, in other words they prevented this big heavy monster from sinking too far into the ground. As far as I know they were not motorized (though someone did mention in the other thread that this was done in small numbers post war).

I've never had much interest in big guns, but this one is very tempting!

Mike
xFOX_HOUNDx
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 249 posts
Armorama: 230 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 01:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The tracks were to reduce the ground pressure, in other words they prevented this big heavy monster from sinking too far into the ground. As far as I know they were not motorized (though someone did mention in the other thread that this was done in small numbers post war).

I've never had much interest in big guns, but this one is very tempting!

Mike

That is correct, this gun was NOT self propelled. It was towed. I have waited years for this kit to come along!!!! I am busting at the seams!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now hopefully we dont get raped on the price.
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 01:02 AM UTC
this kit has been number one on my list for a LONG time and now ......its like heaven!!!!...I MUST have this kit (or 2) as soon as its available!!!!!!no QUESTION!!!!! gonna have a coffe and celebrate here guys
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Armorama: 382 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 01:05 AM UTC
very true Dave ,,,they need to have a reasonable pricetag on this thing otherwise......
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 01:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, that's the one.

Haikal, I don't know about the prices... Trumpeter starts to reach the $60 dollar range with their new kits (even the E-10 was overpriced I think), so this might not be the case any more. Long gone are the days of excellent KVs for low prices. Let's hope for the best, though. (I'm dreading the day their 1/16KT comes out.)
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 02:10 AM UTC
Well, I meant reasonable prices compared to other manufacturers. I buy all my kits from the Hong Kong stores and Trump kits are always about $15 less than Dragon for example.

Also, the Maz transporter sells for around $120 (without shipping) at a store like Greatmodels in the States... whereas I got it for $96 (INCLUDING shipping) from Luckymodel. So, you really can't go by the prices in the States.

I think you guys are being ripped off by the US distributors more than anything else.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 02:11 AM UTC
See the other thread for the Berlin footage

From the Track Link thread it seems that we might have to wait a while for our B4s.

David
Whiskey6
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 02:33 AM UTC
"The tracks were to reduce the ground pressure, in other words they prevented this big heavy monster from sinking too far into the ground. As far as I know they were not motorized (though someone did mention in the other thread that this was done in small numbers post war)."

Generally, these large pieces of artillery were towed by lend-lease catepiller tractors or their Russian knock-offs. The Soviets actually made very extensive use of tracked artillery tractors, most if not all derived from the early Holt and Catepiller tractors. Movement was not high-speed, just a tad faster than infantry on foot.

To find info on the prime movers, google "Soviet Artillery Tractors".

The U. S. Marines had a similar piece created during WW I. They mounted a 7 inch naval rifle (pulled off old pre-dreadnaught battleships) on a tracked carriage. I think the work was done by the Naval Ordnance Factory in DC. The cannon was towed by a 120 HP Holt tractor, which was a monster in its own right. The piece never saw combat. One specimen still exists in one of the museums near Washington, D.C., perhaps the new Marine Corps museum in Quantico.

Semper Fi,
Dave
spongya
MODELGEEK
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 02:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, I meant reasonable prices compared to other manufacturers. I buy all my kits from the Hong Kong stores and Trump kits are always about $15 less than Dragon for example.

Also, the Maz transporter sells for around $120 (without shipping) at a store like Greatmodels in the States... whereas I got it for $96 (INCLUDING shipping) from Luckymodel. So, you really can't go by the prices in the States.

I think you guys are being ripped off by the US distributors more than anything else.

It's OFF, so I apologize

You probably are right, but from my point I blame whomever I please
I really don't know who's responsible, but here the LHS became cheaper than any other alternative (meaning that Ebay and forum deals have gotten more expensive than the kits sold at the LHS are cheaper even without the shipping charges), and there the new Trump kits are 15-20 bucks more expensive than the DML kits (and in all fairness DML is usually better; at least I think it is). Luckymodel is cheap, but if I order the Grille 17 from them, with shipping I only save about 8 bucks compared to the LHS... So it sucks, really. (As things are going, maybe China will outsource the production here, bringing down the prices. )

Back to the gun: as soon as it comes out I'll march right into the store to buy it. I wonder if they will go into that direction: there are really nice/weird-looking Russian stuff out there, which are not available in plastic (or in anything).
Removed by original poster on 07/17/08 - 16:22:47 (GMT).
PantherF
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 6,188 posts
Armorama: 5,960 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 03:52 AM UTC
Yep, these things are HUGE!!

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 04:35 AM UTC
Prices are reflective of the massively sucking US Dollar...really. And there is a bit of greed on he part of the distributors, but honestly, right now thier profit margins have shrunk DRAMATICALLY due to shipping costs. The test will be what happens when costs go down (when the dollar improves) and, if possible, shipping costs go down. If there is not a corresponding drop in prices based on that, then the importers are definately to blame.

But for now, it is the very low US dollar.

On a side note, when doing research it is also sometimes noted as a B-4 203mm artillery piece and a D-4... I have no idea why.

As for wether they are powered or not, there is second hand evidence that the Soviets built, in small numbers, a refit kit that allowed this tracked piece to move on its own SLOWLY, for reposition...like in street fighting. I have no proof right now and info on this monster is THIN at best. However, it was proposed to be put on a KV chassis as the C-51.

More info, and a drawing of the C-51, can be found in the Soviet/Russian thread under this link (Don't forget there is a proper forum for cool red stuff...)
Leopold
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 446 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 05:48 AM UTC
dun thinks theres anykit out there that tow this baby huh?

Probably the YA-12 from Miniart soon?
steve-o
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Armorama: 295 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 01, 2008 - 07:04 AM UTC
Awesome! The effectiveness and sheer volume of Russian Artillery late in the war comes up in a lot of the books I read about the Eastern front. This piece will speak to that all on its own!
 _GOTOTOP